Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 08:12 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,346,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
BTW the origins, history and meaning of the name of the famous British delicacy 'toad in the hole' are lost in time.

However, I like the last, and possibly most plausible explanation here...

Tel said....
Toad-in-the-hole origin unveiled?? - World of Vince
Southdown, Thanks for the info. I've learned something new today and it looks somewhat easy to prepare.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:14 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
DH went to the Buc's game, so I took the kiddos to Chuck E Cheese for 4 hours. We had their pizza for dinner. It is NOT my fave, in fact, I don't like it at all. Still, it filled us up and we're not sick or dead from it.

Well done - who cares about the bad pizza, the kids will remember the good times!!!

Maybe they should try putting on some parties in the health food store...???

Old 09-14-2008, 08:15 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Southdown, Thanks for the info. I've learned something new today and it looks somewhat easy to prepare.
It's so easy, so fast and no thinking required, just my kind of recipe.

And kids just gobble it up!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:26 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Boxty's so autumnal & warming - perfect for something to have at Hallowe'en, yummy. I've made them with mashed potatoes mixed with sweet potatoes or carrots, to make them orange for the Hallowe'en theme. The potato ricer would come in handy to mash the potatoes and squeeze water out of the grated stuff. Kids love them. They can be quite small griddle cakes, round and fat, or make it looser and cook as bigger pancakes.

I had this recipe in my stash, a little more fancy than the usual...came from a Texas magazine, that's why!!!

Ingredients
4 large potatoes (about 3 pounds), peeled and divided
2 teaspoons salt, divided
3 green onions, diced
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1 cup all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons vegetable oil

Cut 2 potatoes into cubes; cook potato cubes and 1 teaspoon salt in boiling water to cover 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash with a potato masher; set aside.
Shred remaining 2 potatoes; press between layers of paper towels to remove excess water.
Combine mashed and shredded potatoes in a large bowl; stir in remaining 1 teaspoon salt, onions, and next 4 ingredients. Gradually add flour to form a soft dough; shape into 12 patties.
Fry patties, in batches, in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 6 to 7 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

This is a basic recipe
BBC - Food - Recipes - Boxty pancakes with black pudding, bacon and mustard cream (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/boxtypancakeswithbla_10937.shtml - broken link)
Here's a fancy one for steak boxty...
Murphy's Steak Boxty & Gaelic cream sauce

And as the old poem says:
Boxty on the griddle, boxty in the pan, if you can't make boxty, you'll never get a man
Oh that sounds good... I have heard that poem! LOL Thanks for the recipe...

We ended up going to my all time fav Mediteranian Restaurant tonight as it is so veggie friendly for my BIL... I was pleased as punch. Had my usual baba, humus, tzatziki, dolmades, pitas.... the whole nine... loved it! Hubby took the kids home- they both are sick with some nasty cold... so he missed out on a really good meal (unfortunately the poor guy had to have McDonalds with the kids). I am so tired.... have a good night all.... I must catch up on all of today's food news in the morning... too tired now

OH> Forgot to add... SKBS will now be going without CHOCOLATE...... it was a good weekend to say ADIOS to the good stuff...

Last edited by skbs; 09-14-2008 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: added thought....CHOCOLATE

Old 09-14-2008, 09:42 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
after a huge breakfast burrito smothered with cheese and green chile and served with rice and beans....dinner was homemade french onion soup with lots of extra french bread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:50 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
SKBS, I feel your pain! I am so sorry you must do without chocolate! Good for you! Stay strong!

Old 09-14-2008, 09:51 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
after a huge breakfast burrito smothered with cheese and green chile and served with rice and beans....dinner was homemade french onion soup with lots of extra french bread
Care to share your french onion soup recipe? Please?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:56 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Quote:
BTW the origins, history and meaning of the name of the famous British delicacy 'toad in the hole' are lost in time.

However, I like the last, and possibly most plausible explanation here...

Tel said....
Toad-in-the-hole origin unveiled?? - World of Vince
I, like many (njmike) had never heard of Toad-in-the-hole, but by golly, this is a recipe that will end up on my DH's plate for sure!!

I'm glad you all enjoyed your cobblers. I made one for us tonight, as well. I used cherry pie filling (include all of the syrupy, corn starch gooey along with the fruit).

DH said he would like to have it with blackberries the next time. Definitely thaw and sugar any frozen fruit or you might end up with a watery mess!

Nomad, if you use the Granny Smith apples, which is heaven on a spoon, you might want to cook them for a few minutes in the microwave or in a little water just until they give a little to the poke of a fork. A real dense, crunchy apple like Granny Smith don't seem to bake all the way through by the time the cobbler batter is done.

I think my "Recipe" bookmarks is the largest folder I have!! Thank you all for the fabulous recipes.

Southdown, I can't wait to make the Boxty. This will become another family favorite, I know. My side of the family is PA Dutch and that sounds like it came right out of my grandmother's kitchen. Thanks a bunch!

Old 09-14-2008, 10:05 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post

OH> Forgot to add... SKBS will now be going without CHOCOLATE...... it was a good weekend to say ADIOS to the good stuff...
You have my deepest sympathies over the coffee and especially the chocolate. I know they are calling the caffeine evil if my guess is right?? Anyway life is not always fair. I eat as much chocolate as I are to and drink tea by the gallons and have no side affects. After some months I hope this will fix you up. If it does not change things I'm sure you will now what to do too. I had a specialty doc tell me to give up chocolate and it did not help on iota. If I was having to take the magic pill anyway I'm enjoying my chocolate too. He also assumed I drank coffee but never picked up the need for it. I could really get off topic here so I had better not get to high up on my horse. Any hoot for dinner tomorrow I'm taking a walk about at the market to see what might tickle my fancy but I suspect the bacon and fresh tomatoes will be a major influence in it. Maybe a loaf of White Mountain bread for some wildly good BLT's. Night all. Oops it is tomorrow. Oh well I've made bigger boo boos in my life.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:08 PM

38,864 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Tonight I had homemade pan-fried pork chops, a side of rice and another side of homemade cream-style corn. My stovetop was all greasy, but considering how delicious dinner was, it was worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink