Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:31 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times

Advertisements

Oh what a crock.

Would you go to the LaScalla Opera House and demand that they play Taylor Swift because you bought a ticket and you're the customer and you're always right?

Would you go to a poetry reading and demand that the poets rhyme all their phrases because THAT'S the kind of poetry you like?

Would you go to MOMA and tell them that you can't stand Modern Art -- Why don't you guys replace all this junk with Bob Ross?

For the price of dinner, we're offering to broaden your food horizons. We will tell you why we did what we did. We will tell you how you can go make this same dish on your own. (We're really good about that, incidentally. This "chef guarded recipe" thing is mostly bunk. You may not like the way we give recipes -- because we assume you know how to perform intermediate kitchen tasks. You will not get a step by step guide. You will get chef shorthand. Which will get you to the same mountaintop if you know what you're doing.)

And instead of whinging on about how we think your palate is underdeveloped, you could -- I DON'T KNOW -- try to improve your palate.

I suppose, if I had enough money, I could find a guitar instructor who would let me beat on a guitar every week like a six-year old -- because that's the way I think it should sound. And they could give me reassuring compliments about my guitar beating skills. Or I could find a guitar instructor who would teach me how to play. But the main thing is, I would have to get over the fact that banging on a guitar like a six-year old does not constitute "music."

Filet well-done with ketchup, extra salt, pepper and A-1 is the same as Bam-Bam from the Flintstones beating a guitar against a rock. Anybody ordering THAT train wreck doesn't have a culinary leg to stand on. It's the same as telling a bunch of music critics that Tiny Tim was a misunderstood genius.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:12 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Oh what a crock.
“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

It's ALL about the individual. You imply that the consumer wishes to change what a chef cooks for others when all they truly want is a dish cooked to their individual liking. And when you command that I must "improve my palate" all you are saying is that you demand I match my palate to yours.

Sadly, I have to say - I hope I never darken the doors of a restaurant where you are responsible for my meal. You may have talent but you lack what distinguishes a cook from a chef.

BTW - the quote is from Dr Seuss.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:05 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

It's ALL about the individual. You imply that the consumer wishes to change what a chef cooks for others when all they truly want is a dish cooked to their individual liking. And when you command that I must "improve my palate" all you are saying is that you demand I match my palate to yours.

Sadly, I have to say - I hope I never darken the doors of a restaurant where you are responsible for my meal. You may have talent but you lack what distinguishes a cook from a chef.

BTW - the quote is from Dr Seuss.
I command nothing. But I do insist that if you say "Tiny Tim was a musical genius" then you do not know very much about music. If you insist that "well-done steak with a billion condiments on it" is great food, then you do not know much about cuisine.

Everyone wants to be worldly. Everyone wants to have a refined palate and a trained ear and an appreciation for the arts. Well, most people at least. Larry the Cable Guy fans notwithstanding. (Although Mr. The Cable Guy probably has a private jet, and I don't. So he can get to Jack in the Box at near supersonic speed, while I'm forced to drive the speed limit to have a plate of sushi.)

Most of the "well-done" people posting here (who aren't at all adventurous), are taking the debate path, "I like what I like. And that's what I like and I see no reason why people shouldn't cater to what I like."

THAT is narcissism. Plain and simple.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:25 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I like my steak somewhere between medium rare and rare.

I love adventurous eating and have befriended several chefs. I have happily eaten off the menu when they have offered to make me something original and brilliant.

That being said, I don't think ordering any food to suit your pleasure is narcissistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink