Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 04:25 PM

20,845 posts, read 28,170,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
PB2 requires too much effort. I'd rather be able to grab a spoon and dig into a jar on a whim.
Me too, give me a spoon and the jar of PB and I am good to go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,297,132 times
I prefer peanuts dry roasted, occasionally I'll buy a jar of Laura Scudders all natural since it only contains peanuts. Almond butter and cashew butter are the preferred nut butters in our house. We don't eat frankenfoods like this PB2.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 PM

20,845 posts, read 28,170,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I prefer peanuts dry roasted, occasionally I'll buy a jar of Laura Scudders all natural since it only contains peanuts. Almond butter and cashew butter are the preferred nut butters in our house. We don't eat frankenfoods like this PB2.
Never had almond or cashew butter, I bet it's delicious.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 PM

41,744 posts, read 74,732,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
PB2 requires too much effort. I'd rather be able to grab a spoon and dig into a jar on a whim.
I don't even need a spoon.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM

61,197 posts, read 86,043,522 times
You guys know, you can make a peanut butter at home, right? You don't need anything, just put your roasted peanuts in a food processor and let it run for ~5 min. That's the best method. Healthy and delicious too, especially because you can add your own taste to it: pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, vanilla extract, cinnamon, coffee, cocoa, a pinch of cayenne or chili powder or savory spices, or maybe even a splash of a liquor such as Kahlua or Baileys
Or you can make a bigger batch and divide, and then add different spices to each one.
Once you make peanut butter at home, it will be very difficult to get excited about store-bought peanut butter ever again.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,457,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You guys know, you can make a peanut butter at home, right? You don't need anything, just put your roasted peanuts in a food processor and let it run for ~5 min. That's the best method. Healthy and delicious too, especially because you can add your own taste to it: pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, vanilla extract, cinnamon, coffee, cocoa, a pinch of cayenne or chili powder or savory spices, or maybe even a splash of a liquor such as Kahlua or Baileys
Or you can make a bigger batch and divide, and then add different spices to each one.
Once you make peanut butter at home, it will be very difficult to get excited about store-bought peanut butter ever again.
You are so right! We make our own peanut, cashew and almond butter here.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:17 PM

A different perspective on PB2.
PB2 is Not Whole Real Food – When I talk about the foods I eat, I tell people I want to choose the most nutrient dense foods on the planet and PB2 is just not one of them.The beauty of a peanut is that it contains all of the nutrients nature intended. It has a healthy dose of fat, protein and vitamins. PB2 extracts almost all of the essential monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, leaching the vitamin E content which is fat soluble, therefore reducing the nutritional content of the whole food. The fat is what keeps you satisfied and reduces cravings making just a tablespoon of real peanut butter so satisfying. This powdered form looks pretty clean when you review the ingredients, but it’s just another way for manufacturers to trick you into thinking less calories is better for you. They have to add a mixture of sugar and salt into the powder to make it taste better without the fat. I know I’d rather have the fat vs. the sugar and salt!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Never had almond or cashew butter, I bet it's delicious.
Oh they are divine, we buy them at TJ's. but I suspect the method described by El Nina with the peanuts and food processor would work for almonds and cashews. My favorite is almond butter and sour cherry jam (from Europe) spread in a sandwich. Mmmmmmmm, so good. A cup of buttermilk or kefir to chase it down and I'm ready for bedtime

Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
You are so right! We make our own peanut, cashew and almond butter here.
Have you made the almond butter with blanched almonds? It seems like store bought ones are made with the skins on. I wonder if this would improve the finished product?

Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Have you made the almond butter with blanched almonds? It seems like store bought ones are made with the skins on. I wonder if this would improve the finished product?
I have actually made it with blanched and roasted almonds. I think the roasted has a richer flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink