U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-10-2007, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 5,941,988 times
Reputation: 418

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
as someone who use to Delivery Pizzas if I got a $5 tip on a $14 Pizza I would be extremly impressed and happy, on just a Pizza anything less then $2 is an insult, a $2-$3 tip is fine though with gas prices as they are maybe a little more if the place is kind of far, some places charge a delivery fee and hopefully that place is giving that money to the Driver otherwise the driver shouldnt work there, with a $1 delivery fee a $2 tip should be fine if the place isnt that far
I feel the same way as far as the amount of the tip goes in general...the $5 tip for a $14 pizza is my preference when i give and i might give more if i feel like the driver did excellent
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2007, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 5,941,988 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I feel the same way as far as the amount of the tip goes in general...the $5 tip for a $14 pizza is my preference when i give and i might give more if i feel like the driver did excellent
By the way ....i am not rich so go figure...maybe my momma raised me good or something....who knows..lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2007, 10:45 PM
 
7,294 posts, read 14,079,048 times
Reputation: 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Now you are just being silly. I never, ever said that you should not be compensated for doing your job. The entitlement I refer to is the expectation by many people that unless you tip 40 to 50 percent you are an awful person. I am tired of being told that it is up to me to make up your pay difference. Yes you live off of tips but it is not my job to tip you enough so you can live the high life. That is the entitlement I refer to. I have met many people in real life who act just this way.

So that nothing can be mistrued once again, I tip. I tip well if service calls for it. I will not give you a 50 percent tip just because you want it and expect it. I think that is about it.
I don't think I'm being silly. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. What's silly is the idea that an extra dollar for a pizza delivery allows someone to "live the high life". These aren't pro athletes or CEOs or any other overpaid type bringing down millions. These are people making pretty low wages and fairly low tips. I'd hardly say any of them are "living the high life". Not a lot of champagne and Bentleys in your average deliveryman or server's lifestyle. Let's be realistic here. I'm not saying tip 40 or 50%. Never did. Just tip. It makes a difference. If you can't? Cook!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2007, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Burlington VT
1,405 posts, read 4,498,021 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Doctors and Lawyers do NOT tip.....REALTORS do not tip. Workin people do tip.
I'm a Realtor. I'm a generous tipper, and I buy a lot of meals, too.

I tip the cab driver, the chambermaid, the pizza delivery driver, - heck, I used to tip at the local dunkin' donuts when they had a big sign saying "no tipping please".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2007, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 5,941,988 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I don't think I'm being silly. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. What's silly is the idea that an extra dollar for a pizza delivery allows someone to "live the high life". These aren't pro athletes or CEOs or any other overpaid type bringing down millions. These are people making pretty low wages and fairly low tips. I'd hardly say any of them are "living the high life". Not a lot of champagne and Bentleys in your average deliveryman or server's lifestyle. Let's be realistic here. I'm not saying tip 40 or 50%. Never did. Just tip. It makes a difference. If you can't? Cook!
That's what im saying too....people act like i am telling people the amount to tip....i never said to tip $5 for a $14 PIZZA.......it is my preference and all i basically said was my opinions on people who give the left over change or only leave a small tip.....i dont have to judge anyone...people basically know when they are wrong in situations...if you look at tipping and think about it with your mind too much and make your intellegence decide things for you in this kind of situation then you are covering up the fact that you might be wrong and selfish in life........what im really saying is that i think with my heart when it comes to giving......i would rather have someone else feel better in a tipping situation than me keeping that extra $5 to buy some beer or cigarettes....but i guess people will stand by thier ideas and continue believing that the $5 dollars they save will make "them" rich someday....only if you order food every other day will it make you rich but i only order or go out about once or twice a month so that money i give when i tip isnt going to really do anything for me ....but giving it will do something for someone else....that's how i see it...why are people worried about material things so much anyways....i dont have loads of money and i have bills like everyone else so why do people care "so much" about giving an extra $5 to someone who is not selling drugs and trying to do something good with thier lives.....what is the "real" reason?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Emerald Coast, FL
51 posts, read 221,806 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
I was talking about a PIZZA,
And yes THEY choose to work there, and sorry but why should I have to pay 30% + tip for a 14.00 pizza? Thats crazy .....

I tip pretty good at restaurants, but thats a different setting. And I was talkin about Pizza, hence I say 14.00 as you stated.

And let me also explain, again I dont get delievery here but I can also tell you that IF I had a delivery guy who complains about a 20 % tip, or decides to bring me a cold pizza, I would stop ordering all together and I would talk with the Manager.
Sorry but YOU took a LOW PAYING JOB, and want TOP Dollar for youre service?


I'm almost positive that no one just takes a low-paying job. Most people don't aspire to be pizza delivery ppl when they grow up. Some are not as fortunate as others and either can't afford a formal education, don't live in an area where the economy allows pick&choose employment, or have otherwise had their job options dwindled down to either McDonalds or Pizza Hut. I believe that if I have a few extra dollars lying around and order a pizza (even if it is only $14) and the driver is prompt, polite, and the pizza is warm, that I would not be %100 against tipping a whole, whopping $5. $3 extra in a tip is not going to make or break ANYONE, so be a little more curteous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 06:02 AM
 
Location: S.E. US
13,169 posts, read 194,094 times
Reputation: 5112
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
i dont have to judge anyone...people basically know when they are wrong in situations...if you look at tipping and think about it with your mind too much and make your intellegence decide things for you in this kind of situation then you are covering up the fact that you might be wrong and selfish in life........i would rather have someone else feel better in a tipping situation than me keeping that extra $5 to buy some beer or cigarettes....but i guess people will stand by thier ideas and continue believing that the $5 dollars they save will make "them" rich someday....but giving it will do something for someone else....that's how i see it...why are people worried about material things so much anyways....i dont have loads of money and i have bills like everyone else so why do people care "so much" about giving an extra $5 to someone who is not selling drugs and trying to do something good with thier lives.....what is the "real" reason?
You say you're not judging, but you are. YOU might spend that extra money on beer and cigarettes, but how do you know that the family at the next table wouldn't buy a gift for a child whose desire or need is written on a tag hanging on a Christmas tree, or donate to their local food bank or soup kitchen, or for ANY other purpose besides the way you would use it.
How do you know that the person getting the tip wouldn't buy beer and cigarettes with it.

C'mon. People know what they can afford and how they want to spend THEIR money. Don't assume that because someone is eating out that they have lots of money. They may only go out once a month, perhaps not even that. Maybe it's a special occasion for them and they haven't been out to dinner for months. Maybe those who don't always tip prefer to *choose* when and where, rather than being *expected* to tip because the norm says they should.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,321 posts, read 14,031,396 times
Reputation: 4913
My dad doesn't tip worth doodly-squat. He always said that it's because:
a) the service could be better
b) if they wanted to earn money, they should get real jobs

Me, I tip. When I eat out, I always start at 15% and depending on service, it can go up or down. The best tip I ever gave was at IHOP. Valentine's night 2006 - my mother and I were in Floriday (on a fishing trip..) and went to IHOP.. because that's not usually a "romantic" Valentine Dinner.

The one cook and one waiter were soooo bored - we were the first customers in almost 6 hours. For the price of a Rooty Jr, I got a full Rooty with a bunch of extras because the cook wanted to cook. I woulda never thought the steak'd be so good! The food was incredibly awesome because everything was ****-and-span clean. The total of the meal came to like $15.

My mom and I gave the waiter $55 combined. $20 tip for each one for the enjoyable meal with laughs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 01:55 PM
 
Location: All around the world.....
2,886 posts, read 7,730,507 times
Reputation: 1061
Smile You Should Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
When i was growing up if we didn't have the money to leave a tip then we didn't order food from pizza places or we didn't go out to eat......and i still think this way about tipping....if i am ordering a $14 dollar pizza or something inn that range i "ALWAYS" leave at least $5 dollars.....I just want to know who believes people shouldn't tip?....and who believes you should tip waiters, delivery drivers ect....?...and why do you think like this?

Thanx,
Unless it's included in the tab, IMO One should tip; for service and time&effort
Just the right thing to do, besides a lot of times waiters get paid smaller wage and depend on tips to live on. I was taught this is the right thing to do, unless you are a mean; miserable miser
Gratuity...Well unless the service is lousy beyond repair.
And there have been a few times where i felt bad if I didn't have the money to tip

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 11-28-2007 at 02:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, Virginia
1,123 posts, read 4,963,768 times
Reputation: 704
I have a full time salaried job, but I have worked as a waitress part time for about 8 years. I can guarantee you that servers do not WANT to be there, but they need to. I had to work part time to supplement our income, then I became a single parent and that 2nd job paid ALOT of bills. Now I am remarried (to the same guy - long story and I still work 2 nights a week. I could probably do without the job, but it sure does make it easier on us.

Serving has got to be one of the crappiest jobs there is. We have to kiss your butts when you send us for extra butter, then want an extra napkin, then you need a drink refill. Some people treat servers as their personal maids. However - I still do it and I do enjoy the family restaurant where I work now. Tips are good and the customers are actually very nice. I also get some exercise since I have a desk job during the day.

As a server, when we we go to a restaurant, I feel for those people who wait on us. I know some of them can have attitudes, but I also know that clearing my dirty dishes is not a job of choice. It just happens to be a way to make cash money on a daily basis. So as servers we take the good with the bad.

My tipping starts at 20% the minute I sit down. It goes down if we sit too long before someone greets us and if they do not keep our drinks filled. It also goes down if they give us our check before we are done eating - that is a BIG pet peeve of mine. However, it can go up if service is outstanding. Serving is a hard job and I really tip well if the server makes an effort.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top