Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 05:15 PM

47,902 posts, read 21,903,830 times

Advertisements

Thats right Emerald Girl

My DIL has her degree but until their little girl was in school; my son worked day job and she worked as a waitress. She made better money then than now...but it was really hard work and the schedule was a killer. Once my grand daughter started school she lucked out and got a job at the same school so they have the same days off and she and her hubby are on the same schedule. Waitrons work hard and yes they can make good money!!!!but they earn every penny.

I get so angry at the people who go out to eat so they can be nasty to someone and justify their meaness. You pay for a meal and you pay for service....not for a slave or a whipping boy. If you want to show discretion--15% minimum and 20% or more for really good service. Stiffing your server isnt an option and please a religious tract isnt a tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 05:41 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,854,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
please a religious tract isnt a tip.
Haha.........I have respect for other people's religious beliefs but the little pamphlets in place of a tip just does not pay the bills! I have had that happen to me several times. Could you imagine if I walked into the utility company to pay the bill with a copy of "Our Daily Bread" instead of a check!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:44 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,867,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Thats right Emerald Girl

My DIL has her degree but until their little girl was in school; my son worked day job and she worked as a waitress. She made better money then than now...but it was really hard work and the schedule was a killer. Once my grand daughter started school she lucked out and got a job at the same school so they have the same days off and she and her hubby are on the same schedule. Waitrons work hard and yes they can make good money!!!!but they earn every penny.

I get so angry at the people who go out to eat so they can be nasty to someone and justify their meaness. You pay for a meal and you pay for service....not for a slave or a whipping boy. If you want to show discretion--15% minimum and 20% or more for really good service. Stiffing your server isnt an option and please a religious tract isnt a tip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
Haha.........I have respect for other people's religious beliefs but the little pamphlets in place of a tip just does not pay the bills! I have had that happen to me several times. Could you imagine if I walked into the utility company to pay the bill with a copy of "Our Daily Bread" instead of a check!
I had that happen to me when I worked in the restaurant biz, never could fathom the meaness, the cheapness, and the always bizarre pamphlets. I have always tried to be a tolerant person, but those kind of folks just really put my panties in a twist!.... they still do......

Old 06-25-2008, 01:47 PM

My friend sent this to me and I think it pretty much says it all in regards to the waitstaff in a restaurant:

Here is a short guide for the general public to follow. Feel free to print out and store in your wallet and/or purse.

CHILDREN "THE LITTLE DEVILS":
If you have children, DO NOT let them, open and dump anything on the table (ie; salt, sugar, etc). IF YOU DO, you must leave an extra $5 for the server to clean up YOUR CHILD'S mess & to restock the now unusable wasted items. We are neither their babysitter nor their parent. The least you can do is pay us for the extra work. Also make sure you control your kids and don't let them scream or run around the restaurant. It's very distracting not to mention dangerous if they get ran over by a server with hot food in their hands.

"THE CAMPERS":
If you feel the necessity to stay for longer than 15 minutes after you pay, its an extra $3 every 30 minutes. We make our money from the tables. If you are in one and we can't seat it, we don't make money.

COMPLIMENTS:
Telling a server they are the best server they've ever had is not a tip. If we are good, let us know by leaving us more money. We cant pay our bills on compliments. Its not that we don't appreciate the praise, its just that if you say that and then leave 10% it's an insult.

THE SALVATION PAMPHLETS:
Prayer cards and any other religious pamphlet is NOT a tip. It is insulting that you assume we are w/o religion and must save us. Again, like ..3, we cant pay bills w/prayer cards. We'd go to church on Sundays if it wasn't mandatory to work on Sundays because EVERYONE who goes to church follows it by eating out.

TIPPING:
It is not 1960. Cost of living has gone up dramatically since then. 18% is the MINIMUM amount of what you should be tipping your servers. Just look at the tax line and multiply by 2-3, this gives you your minimum tip amount. Remember, our companies pay us minimum wage (minimum wage for servers is $6.75 in CA, $3.09 in IA, ONLY $2.38 IN MARYLAND & $2.13 in Louisiana & TN) And we are taxed on 10 percent of your meal automatically anyway. So if your meal is $100 and you leave $10 and we tip out $4-5 to the busser, bartender, and whoever else then we pay tax on 10 dollars the state assumes we are at least making and we actually make $5. It seems small but it adds up.

How many times do you eat out per week and do this?

THE COMPLAINERS:
If you get a discount because of your food was prepared wrong or something, do not take it out of our tip. We didn't cook it. The cooks get paid hourly regardless if the food sucks. However, we only make what you give us.

THE FREE STUFF:
If you happen to get anything for free and you did not have a problem with your dining experience, most of the time it is because the server thinks you will realize that they are giving it to you for free. There should be extra tip thanking the server for the free item. They could get in a lot of trouble giving away free stuff. You should give them hazard pay for it.

THE LATE ONES:
If you come into the restaurant 10 mins before closing or any time near closing hurry up and order your food and get out. Closed means closed, not social hour. It is so rude to sit there and take your sweet ass time. We can't leave until you leave because we have to do sidework and clean the table you are sitting at. We don't want to stand there waiting for you for an extra hour just because you don't want to go home. We recommend 24 hour establishments such as Dennys if you wish to sit into the wee hours of the night.

THE TABLE HOGGERS:
If you only come in for coffee or a dessert, to do paper work, or to have a meeting, don't sit there taking up our booths for hours. We are not Starbucks or a hotel restaurant. If you want to sit for hours, go there or else you better leave a good tip for us and camping fee included.

THE GREET:
When we come up to the table to greet you and we ask how you are doing please let us know. We honestly want to know how you are doing. If you are in a bad mood we want to know that from the beginning. A confused stare or complete silence does not suffice as a reply to "How are you doing?".

Also most of us are REQUIRED to say certain things during the greeting, so please don't interrupt our greeting and say "I want coffee", "Can we get some bread?", or "What are the soups?"

THOSE DAMN CELL PHONES:
Don't ever talk on your cell phone in a restaurant. This is probably the rudest thing to do. If you must be on your cell, at least keep your voice down in respect for other customers. If you are on your cell phone when we walk up to greet your table we will walk away and not return until you get off your phone. Just show some respect and give us your attention for a couple of minutes.

TAKE-AWAY OR TO-GOS:
Always remember to tip the take-out order servers! They work just as hard as a server, and hardly ever get tips for it! WE DESERVE TO BE TIPPED TOO!

13. DO NOT TELL ME YOU ARE BROKE WHEN YOU ARE LEAVING: If you cannot afford to tip properly then do not go out to eat. If I as a server bring you back $8.00 in change lets say from a $70.00 bill and only leave me $2.00 and tell me you are broke you should be castrated for being such an ignorant *******!! Do not waste your time or mine it really pisses us off.

14. High School Kids: Learn how to tip!! Just because you do not have a job and mommy and daddy pays for everything you have including the meal that you are eating do not think that it is ok to not tip. Leave a tip people b/c I remember every face that does not tip.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:02 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,011,651 times
Quote:
How absolutely disgusting. I'm in shock. Never heard of such a thing.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:20 PM

I think it is very inappropriate to leave a pamphlet in place of a tip.........this happened to me several times when I lived in VA. Not only am I getting stiffed on a table, I also felt insulted.....

Old 06-25-2008, 04:24 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,163,672 times
Quote:

"THE CAMPERS":
If you feel the necessity to stay for longer than 15 minutes after you pay, its an extra $3 every 30 minutes. We make our money from the tables. If you are in one and we can't seat it, we don't make money.
Conversely, $5 should be deducted for every 10 minutes you don't come around after we've finished eating and you don't offer the bill and another $5 for every 10 that we have to wait for you to pick up the bill and return it to us.

Quote:

TIPPING:
It is not 1960. Cost of living has gone up dramatically since then. 18% is the MINIMUM amount of what you should be tipping your servers. ...
No amount is the minimum amount. Every other person with a job realizes that if you don't make enough money at your job, you change jobs. Seems like a basic concept. If you love your job then work to make it better. Demand higher wages and be prepared to walk if you don't get them.

Quote:

THE COMPLAINERS:
If you get a discount because of your food was prepared wrong or something, do not take it out of our tip. We didn't cook it. The cooks get paid hourly regardless if the food sucks. However, we only make what you give us.
The wait staff is the patron's advocate in the kitchen. This is the way it was in the past and the way it should be now. This is part of the professionalism of the job. Since you are directly responsible for what you bring to the table you should check to make sure the order is correct.

Quote:

THE FREE STUFF:
If you happen to get anything for free and you did not have a problem with your dining experience, most of the time it is because the server thinks you will realize that they are giving it to you for free. There should be extra tip thanking the server for the free item. They could get in a lot of trouble giving away free stuff. You should give them hazard pay for it.
"Free stuff" is a gift to the patron to gain good will for the restaurant. Giving "free stuff" for the sole purpose of gaining a larger tip is theft.

Quote:

Also most of us are REQUIRED to say certain things during the greeting, so please don't interrupt our greeting and say "I want coffee", "Can we get some bread?", or "What are the soups?"
Accept that people don't want to waste your time, need specific information, or are ready to begin ordering. Management will see the value in not annoying the customer and will gladly accept a higher throughput. If they don't, they deserve to fail.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:18 PM

I am just going to take a guess that you have never been in the restaurant biz Randy........

If you are a server in a filled up section on a busy night........believe me getting to a table (or at least in my experince when I waited tables) was always a top priorty and worked my tail off to get your check, drink refills, checking back to make sure eveything is to your liking, menu requests while also having to attend to other tables.....as I said, this is just my personal work ethic when I was in the restaurant biz. I don't think you realize how hard servers actually work to be at your beck and call.

Again....assuming you have never been in the restaurant industry....there is no union to demand any kind of higher wage. If people tip what is considered appropriate (keeping in mind the cost of living is getting more and more expensive) for the service that was recevied then the servers should have no problem making a decent income.

There are some chefs (and I use that term lightly in some instances) that do not care what the servers have to say and are just outright rude......I always would make sure everything that came out of the kitchen was how it should have been though.

If someone does not like a meal or drink and a manager comps the check.....that is not considered stealing..........because your check was discounted does not mean that you should not have to tip on what was taken off the check.

The servers are just doing their job when greeting a table..........I guess we should also add mind reader on the job description, how is the server to know if you do not take kindly to the greeting or not and decide to interupt????

Last edited by emeraldgirl; 06-25-2008 at 05:27 PM..

Old 06-25-2008, 08:14 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,672,531 times
I tip 25% and at the Waffle House I'll often tip 50%. I tip pizza drivers 25%.

In a hotel I tip the maids a sawbuck a day. I tip the guy at the oil-change place a fin and I tip the guys at the car wash a fin.

At the car wash I always put the money in somebody's hand, I never use tip boxes. If you tip man to man you're remembered and get a better job next time. Tipping is a personal relationship.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,163,672 times
Quote:
I am just going to take a guess that you have never been in the restaurant biz Randy........
And you'd guess wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink