U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:20 PM

3,875 posts, read 6,972,442 times

Advertisements

I am not the worlds best tipper, but, I always do at least 15%, or more, it just depends on the person, and the experience I had.

That being said, I am extremely low maintenance when it comes to dining out. I ask for things beforehand, so they don't have to make several trips. I tell them to take their time when it comes to a refill, and I don't really ask for too much. If the person I go with is more demanding, I will up my tip.

It does irk me when you go into Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc, and they have a Tip Jar out. I find that the Starbucks I like the best are the ones inside of Target, and they do not have a Tip Jar... Go figure...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 PM

614 posts, read 1,104,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
Just getting back to the original post. These days, pizza deliveries and such now charge a delivery fee(around $1.50) where as before, there was never this fee? How do you all feel about that and do you consider that fee when you tip? For me, I do. Before, I would tip deliveries at least 15%. Now I scale back my delivery tip to about 10%. I figure that delivery fee covers that. Do ya'll agree?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:00 PM

3,875 posts, read 6,972,442 times
Also, if I leave a crappy tip, I usually won't return to the establishment, because I feel the server is the conduit and representative of the place. Crappy service is usually (not always) a reflection of the restaurants staff and management.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:23 PM

8,273 posts, read 23,294,210 times
Ok, too many posts to respond to, but I'll start with these. I have well over a decade of experience in the restaurant industry working as a cook, server, host, counter, and bartender, so this is what I have to say. I am well aware that the first couple of quotes are a few years old:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
When i was growing up if we didn't have the money to leave a tip then we didn't order food from pizza places or we didn't go out to eat......and i still think this way about tipping....if i am ordering a $14 dollar pizza or something inn that range i "ALWAYS" leave at least $5 dollars.....I just want to know who believes people shouldn't tip?....and who believes you should tip waiters, delivery drivers ect....?...and why do you think like this?

Thanx,
You will be hard pressed to find anyone who works in the restaurant or bar industry that does not agree with "if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out, order delivery, or drink at a bar." They might not say that to your face, but I guaranty that is the sentiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
First they get paid to do this, they dont just get Tips. Unless it has changed sense my late hubby did it LONG ago. They get paid per hr, and get to keep their Tips.
Is it enough to upkeep their Car? I dont know, I havent worked there. Noone makes them do this Job They choose this Job.

To "ask" somone to pay you $ 5.00 for a $ 14.00 is crazy. I dont have delievery here where I live. But I can tell you that I would not leave a $5.00 tip for a $14.00 pizza.
Hmmm...no, you are wrong, sort of. Yes, they do receive an hourly wage, but that is not inclusion with the tips. First off, the hourly wage ranges widely from city to city and state to state. I have worked in restaurants where servers received as high as $8 an hour and in places where it was as low as $3 an hour. Then there is the aspect of collecting tips.

Despite any state or federal laws dictating how tips are collected or allocated, each restaurant operates on its own accord with this matter - although there are some 'industry standards' within an individual city.

Some restaurants will (illegally) pool all of tips together and then divide them up and re-disburse them. So, if you collected $400 in tips, you might only walk with $200. Other restaurants will require you to hand over your entire bankroll and they will return any excess money to you (sometimes in the form of a check on payday). Other places will have you turn in what-ever your check-out says.

The last example is the most common. What people who do not work for tips do not realize, is that your tips are taxed-usually at time of check out. When I went on my longest stretch of serving, for example, we used Aloha as our POS. Aloha not only automatically claimed ALL tips left on credit card slips, but would also not let you run your check out until X% of total sales were claimed. Now, you might be saying, 'So what!', but let me tell you; let's say that I had $1,000 in sales, but only collected $50 in tips. Aloha would not let me check out unless I claimed $100 in tips. What does that mean? It means that I would get taxed on $50 that I never received.

And that is another thing; you are taxed on the tips you claim. Yeah, I might have made $7 an hour serving, but if I claimed $1,000 in tips during a pay period, I am taxed on that $1,000 plus what ever I made hourly. So, even though I may have worked 40 hours a week, my bi-weekly paycheck has been as low as $7. Yeah, really rolling in the dough there.

Not to mention, servers generally tip out the bussers, host(s), bartenders, and sometimes the kitchen. So even if you collected $400 in tips, you are going to walk with maybe $175 after you tip everyone out. And depending on the restaurant, you might get taxed on the whole $400!

Yes, there are servers and delivery drivers who make bank. There are also many more who are just scraping by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
I used to be a pizza driver. Pizza drivers remember $5 tips.
Your dang right that they do! For those of you who are not familiar, it goes like this: driver gets a $5 tip on a $14 order. Driver then goes back and tells (brags) the other drivers about it. Next time an order comes in connected to your address, any driver on hand is pushing the cooks to get that order out first - even if there are other tickets in front of it. Short end of the story, the driver will go out of their way to make sure your order is prompt. They might even throw some extras in there, too. Stiff a driver or leave a 50 cent tip on that $14 order, and they will take their sweet time with it. Oh, and if you wonder why all of the cheese and toppings on the pizza are to one side, well, it wasn't because they were in a rush to get it to you. Drivers (and servers) remember sh**ty tippers, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Where did I ever say I didn't want my boss to pay me? They pay their servers minimum wage as set forth by the state, in most states that is $2.13. You really think they are going to pay their servers more than they are required to? They aren't. Well unless it's some terrible buffet style restaurant then they usually get paid a normal wage.

This is America and tipping is a part of our culture. If you don't like it you can move to Europe where they don't tip...and pay twice as much for your meal.
Most states have a 'server wage', which is $2 to $3 under the state's minimum wage.

I agree that tipping is part of our culture. To go back to one of my original statements, the general sentiment is that if you are too lazy to cook for yourself, then you better be prepared to tip. Trust me, no one in the industry will sympathize with you unless you are homeless or have a medical condition.

Yes, Europeans do not leave tips unless they feel that their service was really over the top extraordinary. But, serving is a PROFESSION in Europe, unlike here. It is akin to being a cook (although not as prestigious). In some countries they actually go to school for training...to be a server! Anything is that most Europeans do not expect to be waited on hand and foot. When Americans can get over this attitude, then I will gladly say that they should not tip.

By the way, all the servers that I know would gladly work for a higher wage if it meant less (or little) tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
Just getting back to the original post. These days, pizza deliveries and such now charge a delivery fee(around $1.50) where as before, there was never this fee? How do you all feel about that and do you consider that fee when you tip? For me, I do. Before, I would tip deliveries at least 15%. Now I scale back my delivery tip to about 10%. I figure that delivery fee covers that. Do ya'll agree?
Yes, still tip top dollar! Pizza restaurants 'pay' the delivery driver between 50 cents and $1 per run. It might be more or less depending on location or particular restaurant. This dollar, for example, is compensation for gas. The dollar comes from the restaurant, and is not part of the hourly wage or tips. So, any delivery place that charges a delivery fee is just substituting your money for theirs, but the driver is not receiving anymore 'tip' money. The reality is that you are saving the business money and not giving the driver any more money than he or she normally would have received.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM

614 posts, read 1,104,801 times
' Yes, still tip top dollar! Pizza restaurants 'pay' the delivery driver between 50 cents and $1 per run. It might be more or less depending on location or particular restaurant. This dollar, for example, is compensation for gas. The dollar comes from the restaurant, and is not part of the hourly wage or tips. So, any delivery place that charges a delivery fee is just substituting your money for theirs, but the driver is not receiving anymore 'tip' money. The reality is that you are saving the business money and not giving the driver any more money than he or she normally would have received. '

Not sure if I agree with this. I remember hearing from one of the kids in the neighborhood that they never received 'per delivery money' from the restaurant. Just that they made more per hour than the waiters.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:40 PM

4,100 posts, read 6,503,136 times
Default Who tips, and who doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
They should be paid a fair salary. If prices must be jacked even higher to pay them so be it!! That's how every other business works. Why is food service different? If they lose customers because of their high prices too bad. We have many restaurants here that pay their servers well. It's the same as the Manufacturer's coupon scheme ......have your cake and eat it too. Some restaurants want to keep prices down a little for those that aren't wealthy. Let others pay their employees salaries. Nice plan. Nothing wrong with tipping if the occasion calls for it. It is however a gratuity not a salary! The customer is not the employer.
Well said! I tip, but only when the service is good. I tip more if the waiter/waitress goes the extra mile or if the waitress is a friend. I don't buy into the idea that a pizza driver has to pay for his gas. He also has to pay for his underwear, and what he has to pay for is not my resposibility or concern because he is not my employee or my child. He made his choices in life and choose to be a pizza delivery man instead of a doctor, which I might add, is a goal that is much harder to acheve but still possible. Tipping and the problems tipping causes is a whole other story. If a waitress has to pay help in the 'back room' she should keep track of that and deduct it off her taxes. The fact that she is taxed in the first place on tips should be a crime. I cancelled my membership at the local Country Club because a former manager fired one of the better waitresses because she complained about him taking her tip money to help pay the cook and busboy. I voiced my disapproval to members of the board of directors of this club, because I thought it is wrong. Tipping has gotten out of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink