U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2007, 12:15 PM
 
208 posts, read 383,649 times
Reputation: 252

Advertisements

I used to view tipping as optional until I learned that most waiters/waitresses aren't paid a salary and those that are receive 3rd world wages.

But the tipping jar at the Dunkin Donuts counter gets ignored. It just doesn't wash with me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2007, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Southern New Hampshire
4,597 posts, read 12,706,763 times
Reputation: 4354
Normal tip for me is 20%, back in my younger days I worked for a catering company, and believe me, waiters and waitresses work their tails off! And catering waitresses are NEVER tipped

Pizza delivery, I've found that the food is delivered faster=hotter now that they know I tip well And I can't believe that pizza joints don't charge a fee for delivery (or a different price for eat-in/pick up orders). Why do we expect free delivery service?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2007, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 5,945,334 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
You want an honest answer no I don't feel I should be required to tip a pizza delivery driver. Before the pizza places started adding surcharges to the cost of pizza you would have gotten a tip. Not anymore. More often than not my husband will pick up the pizza on his way home from work. It is the drivers choice to take that job. I am sorry it doesn't pay more but it is not up to me to pay for your gas for your car so you can do a job you knew didn't pay well to begin with.

I am tired of being expected to tip every single person who works a service job. Should I tip the mailman next or the newspaper guy or the garbage each and everytime they do their job? How about the cashier at the grocery store or the landscaper who cuts your grass. Does he need to be tipped each and every time he cuts the grass? He is taking his own lawnmower and gas to cut some strangers lawn? Where does this stop. I am sorry you wanted my honest opinion and there it is.


again...how much money would it take you to deliver a pizza to a house and person that you don't know? while using "your" car and paying for "your own" gas?



Yeah i chose this job as do lots of other people who deliver pizza, wait tables, or do other things....but usually there is a good reason that people choose thier jobs and mine was health related and i couldn't make a decent living working at JC Penny, or at Burger King......The tips make my job worth it.....and give me just enough money to survive without having a college degree.....You will reap what you sow in this life ....trust me on that
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2007, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 5,945,334 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj View Post
a 5$ tip for a 14$ pizza?? u must be very rich
I'll trade my financial situation for yours and guarentee that ill do better .....but anyways its a matter of appreciation not a matter of being rich......if i am down to my last 20 dollars and order a pizza that comes out to 14 dollars or even 7 dollars ...i will always leave a 5 dollar tip....yeah alot of pizza drivers are "rich" ...LOL.......my whole point of this thread is to show how ruthless some people are after they recieve a service that they dont appreciate.....if you can order 14 dollars worth of food instead of eating a can of beans then you definatly have enough money left over to show "real" appreciation to someone who is serving you regardless of why they chose to take that job....because in the end.."you" are the one who is ordering the food to your house and dont have to use your car and drive in bad traffic or deliver to bad areas....overall its a good job but there are lots of things to deal with but what else can you do without a degree to make decent money ?

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 11-05-2007 at 11:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2007, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 5,945,334 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Normal tip for me is 20%, back in my younger days I worked for a catering company, and believe me, waiters and waitresses work their tails off! And catering waitresses are NEVER tipped

Pizza delivery, I've found that the food is delivered faster=hotter now that they know I tip well And I can't believe that pizza joints don't charge a fee for delivery (or a different price for eat-in/pick up orders). Why do we expect free delivery service?

That does suck that catering waitresses don't get tipped.......the price of gas has made it to where companies decided to implement a delivery charge because that will cut the costs of delivering the products to each store and the driver gets a part of it but definatly not the whole "delivery charge".....it goes to the costs that the company has to get the products to each store....so when people blame a driver and remove a tip because of that then its really not right and those people are misinformed .....if they do know however then those type of people are cold hearted....i always gave good tips even before i knew anything about pizza delivery....it is a sign of appreciation to the people who serve you....you want pizza without all the hassle then go by a frozen one at the store and cook it yourself.....i dont expect people to tip but that's all on them because you do reap what you sow in this life
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2007, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,370 posts, read 36,057,160 times
Reputation: 9105
TIPS

To Insure Prompt Service

Shouldn't the tip be given when you first sit down in a restaurant.....
Or the tip amount stated when you call in your order??????

Just a thought
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2007, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 5,945,334 times
Reputation: 418
Here we are coming up on Thanksgiving and some people on here appreciate service but i can't believe the amount of people without a giving heart...no wonder society is getting more screwed up.....i just gave my shift at work to a guy that needed it more than me ....i guess the non-tippers would say something against that too huh?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 5,945,334 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
TIPS

To Insure Prompt Service

Shouldn't the tip be given when you first sit down in a restaurant.....
Or the tip amount stated when you call in your order??????

Just a thought
i think the reason it isn't done like that is because tipping is used for good service and depending on how the people serve you ..then you can decide whether to give them more or less after you are finished eating and being served ....it gives you as the customer the power......service is a big part of a job involving tips....if i took this pizza delivery job knowing i wouldnt recieve a tip ...i would basically just show up and hand over the pizza and hold my hand out and wait for the money.....without making all the conversation and small talk and i wouldnt be tearing my car up as much either trying to get your food there faster.....and im sure if waiters/waitresses were only making 3 dollars an hour with no tips then they wouldnt feel the need to go out of thier way in a timely manner and give the best service they could either....why would they....they are basically working for 3 dollars an hour so why break your back....just do the job and go home in that case
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Denver area
118 posts, read 488,346 times
Reputation: 104
There are certainly a lot of valid opinions out here. I will tell you all a short story. I was married at 21, quit college with the promise of my return after his degree, 3 children and twelve years later, without my degree for the sake of raising my own children, he died. I am now a widow with three kids and no education, my choice? Not really. I wanted a degree, but I wanted to raise my children. I did not choose for my husband to die, or to be a single mother of three without an education. Life got in the way, and then death. So, I have waited tables and tended bar to support my family, mostly because of the flex hours, partly because I am under educated.

I do support my familt from my tips. No welfare, no food stamps, no medicaid. My choice? I suppose I could have used the government funded day care programs so I could attend night school or what ever, but I did choose for my children to have at least one parent. And I do depend on my good service to feed my children, and clothe them, and house them...two sides to every coin, and the truth is in the thin edge.

Thank you to every person who appreciates my service, and shows their gratitude. And for those who don't, I hope you have had a better hand dealt you. It is hard to tell my children I didn't make enough money today to allow them to attend the school dance or buy a soda after school tomorrow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 5,945,334 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie_2 View Post
There are certainly a lot of valid opinions out here. I will tell you all a short story. I was married at 21, quit college with the promise of my return after his degree, 3 children and twelve years later, without my degree for the sake of raising my own children, he died. I am now a widow with three kids and no education, my choice? Not really. I wanted a degree, but I wanted to raise my children. I did not choose for my husband to die, or to be a single mother of three without an education. Life got in the way, and then death. So, I have waited tables and tended bar to support my family, mostly because of the flex hours, partly because I am under educated.

I do support my familt from my tips. No welfare, no food stamps, no medicaid. My choice? I suppose I could have used the government funded day care programs so I could attend night school or what ever, but I did choose for my children to have at least one parent. And I do depend on my good service to feed my children, and clothe them, and house them...two sides to every coin, and the truth is in the thin edge.

Thank you to every person who appreciates my service, and shows their gratitude. And for those who don't, I hope you have had a better hand dealt you. It is hard to tell my children I didn't make enough money today to allow them to attend the school dance or buy a soda after school tomorrow.

Thanx for your story.....there are lots of people like you that get stuck in life in jobs and situations that make this life hard sometimes....but i know you are probably like me and see the blessings and have things that you care about and drive you to do what you can to make life as happy as possible for you and your kids......some people which i call the "positive" posters on this site always say things to make people with issues think that they are a failure in life or like we didn't try hard enough...well whatever.....let them believe they know other peoples' lives while they sit in thier gated community.....God Bless you and just like you say i also appreciate good service and show it with a nice tip and i also appreciate those that do tip......but to people that don't think giving is neccesary ....well God bless you and hopefully he shows you that a giving heart makes you feel better in this life so you are really depriving yourself by being greedy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top