U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:29 AM

383 posts, read 1,066,013 times

Advertisements

I worked at a restaurant. The people who tip below 15% to me are *******s. I am never rude and always try my best to get food out on time.

Yes, we do make half of minimum wage. In Illinois the minimum wage is 7.50, servers at restaurants make 4.00. You call that a livable wage?

I've been tipped 40 bucks before. I've been left a penny before by rotten redneck bastards who deserve to have their house burned down usually. These people are scumbags and think of no one but themselves. Bad karma catches up to people.

I never leave any less than 5 at a restaurant, no matter how much the bill. Came into Applebee's a couple weeks ago and ordered a dessert, that was it. The tip was more than the dessert. I take up their time, and their table. That is less money for them if I am going to be an ******* and leave a 15% tip off a 4.50 bill. That money is life and death for some waiters and waitresses. People don't understand the nature of the work, or the pay scale. WE DO NOT MAKE MINIMUM WAGE! WE MAKE BELOW MINIMUM WAGE! So do pizza delivery people as well, because by US law any company that allows their employee's to make tips they do not have to pay minimum wage. By not giving a pizza delivery person a tip, that makes you a piece of **** too as far as I am concerned.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 10:30 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,761,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
this statement seems suspect for a waiter or waitress...next time i go out eat im gonna ask the waiters there if they would agree or if they think the same way about "no tip" or a crappy tip
One there is no money in the world to make me deliver pizzas. I have a college degree and can find employment that pays more.

Two...I was a waitress over 15 years ago when min. wage was three dollars. That was the hourly salary. If I received tips that was over and above my hourly salary. A smart person will not base all of their expenses on the "expectation" of receiving tips. What if no one came to the restaurant that day. The only money you will make is your hourly wage. With the price of everything going up you may find that your tips will be getting smaller and that there are not as many customers ordering or going out to eat. This is a luxury for many people that will be cut out of their lives once prices for gas, groceries etc.. skyrocket.

Three a tip defined by Webster's dictionary is a small present of money, a donation, a gift. To be Gratuitous is to do something voluntarily. An action freely given. So.... no where does it say that is something required. I am not required to give a tip.

Last and final point.....I am not a miser. If a waiter does a good job, I will reward them with a good tip. I am appreciative of good service at a restaurant. There is a difference between a waiter and a pizza driver. A waiter is at the customers beck and call for at least an hour. Bringing them drinks, refilling their drinks, clearing their plates, etc... A pizza driver is responsible for taking a pizza from point a(the store) to point b(customer's house)in a reasonable amount of time. Big difference. The amount I would give a good waiter is a whole lot more than what I will give a pizza driver. Sorry that is the truth and if you feel I am unappreciative than so be it. The pure and simple fact is YOU expect tips. Kinda negates the purpose of a tip. A tip is FREELY given.

I am done arguing you feel one way, and I feel another. Sorry we can't agree.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,449,328 times
Quote:
that's cool.....that's all i would even expect if i did a good job in your eyes....i agree that it sucks about the delivery charge....but it's all because of high gas prices and everyone is feeling that now...but a couple bucks for one pizza is about average and its a nice tip too....so thank you for doing that
Hehehe, there's no way I'm NOT going to tip someone who is bringing me food. They remember the crappy tippers. My BF worked at a pizza joint when he was in high school and the stories he told me....whoah. I always tip the pizza guy, and I don't order unless I have enough for the bill AND tip.

If they get it there really fast, i.e. the estimated time is 50 minutes and they're there in 30, they get a bigger tip too.

When I lived in the UK my ex (an Englishman) thought I was weird for tipping the pizza guy; apparently that's not the done thing there. We got our pizzas REALLY fast there.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 AM

1,352 posts, read 5,945,334 times
I have a question to all the waiters and waitresses......How the heck do you remember all those orders...and who ordered what at each table...my short term memory isnt that good ....im just wondering if you guys use different methods like writing things down or is there a system in the kitchen that places your orders in specific spots so you know what goes out next?....how does this all work and who likes working for tips in these jobs if you do?

Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 AM

383 posts, read 1,066,013 times
Quote:
I have a question to all the waiters and waitresses......How the heck do you remember all those orders...and who ordered what at each table...my short term memory isnt that good ....im just wondering if you guys use different methods like writing things down or is there a system in the kitchen that places your orders in specific spots so you know what goes out next?....how does this all work and who likes working for tips in these jobs if you do?
You write everything down and after a while it just becomes very easy. Sometimes I majorly mess up but it is usually because either the table is stressing me out with their attitude or I've been having a bad night as a whole. Usually people come in with rotten attitudes, I've never given anyone a reason to have a rotten attitude.

Restaurants, depending on the size, if they sell alcohol, and prices of food can get you good tips. I work at Applebee's and make crappy tips to be quite honest with you, but it is because we are a slow restaurant and because I live in a redneck town with a lot of losers.

Edit-I worked at an Olive Garden and was averaging about 200 a night in tips, but my car broke down so I couldn't drive there anymore. I will be reapplying soon with my new job because Applebee's just ain't cutting it.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
One there is no money in the world to make me deliver pizzas. I have a college degree and can find employment that pays more.

Two...I was a waitress over 15 years ago when min. wage was three dollars. That was the hourly salary. If I received tips that was over and above my hourly salary. A smart person will not base all of their expenses on the "expectation" of receiving tips. What if no one came to the restaurant that day. The only money you will make is your hourly wage. With the price of everything going up you may find that your tips will be getting smaller and that there are not as many customers ordering or going out to eat. This is a luxury for many people that will be cut out of their lives once prices for gas, groceries etc.. skyrocket.

Three a tip defined by Webster's dictionary is a small present of money, a donation, a gift. To be Gratuitous is to do something voluntarily. An action freely given. So.... no where does it say that is something required. I am not required to give a tip.

Last and final point.....I am not a miser. If a waiter does a good job, I will reward them with a good tip. I am appreciative of good service at a restaurant. There is a difference between a waiter and a pizza driver. A waiter is at the customers beck and call for at least an hour. Bringing them drinks, refilling their drinks, clearing their plates, etc... A pizza driver is responsible for taking a pizza from point a(the store) to point b(customer's house)in a reasonable amount of time. Big difference. The amount I would give a good waiter is a whole lot more than what I will give a pizza driver. Sorry that is the truth and if you feel I am unappreciative than so be it. The pure and simple fact is YOU expect tips. Kinda negates the purpose of a tip. A tip is FREELY given.

I am done arguing you feel one way, and I feel another. Sorry we can't agree.

I still agree to disagree..but that's fine because we all have our own ways of doing things....i don't expect the tip but when it is not given and ive done all i can to do my best then it feels like ive been smacked in the face....

Waiters do bust thier ass.....but pizza drivers do to...we dont spend lots of time with the customer and we get judged within the 10 seconds we are at the door so that could mean a good or bad tip without the person knowing how we are and judging our look......

we risk getting tickets from cops, we tear our cars up because people do want to order so there will always be the demand and people like me have to have this job for the time being so.....and we clean the dishes, answer phones and take orders, deal with carry-out customers, cut and prepare the pizzas , we mop and sweep the floors, we prepare and prep food, we clean the make line and throw out trash, we run a risk of being robbed, we have customers blame us for not being there on time when they dont have a house number visible, we get customers that can say what they want to us in a mean way and we cant just walk and tell our bosses in the office that we are being harrassed....and we always have people make fun of us out there making the same old comments everyday kind of belittling us.....but we cant talk back no matter what people in public say........well those are some of the things that come with our job that people dont know when they assume we sit in the store just standing there waiting for an order just to take it from point a and point b then back to the store...that's not all we do.....but there is a good side to it....

its not a lot of responsibilty like working construction or performing surgery or being a cop....and we get to listen to the radio and get away from the boss every now and then.....so its not all bad...and that's why i like it on top of needing it right now due to the issues with my knee.....and we do meet some cool people on deliveries all the time too so its not all bad but its not as easy as data entry or filing documents....ive done that before and let me tell ya......that was really easy sitting in an office filing things all day..just really boring

Either way i know you arent a terrible person and you do leave something as a tip but i just understand all that people that work for tips go through and i guess i have a better understanding and appreciation for it.....good day to you

Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
You write everything down and after a while it just becomes very easy. Sometimes I majorly mess up but it is usually because either the table is stressing me out with their attitude or I've been having a bad night as a whole. Usually people come in with rotten attitudes, I've never given anyone a reason to have a rotten attitude.

Restaurants, depending on the size, if they sell alcohol, and prices of food can get you good tips. I work at Applebee's and make crappy tips to be quite honest with you, but it is because we are a slow restaurant and because I live in a redneck town with a lot of losers.

Edit-I worked at an Olive Garden and was averaging about 200 a night in tips, but my car broke down so I couldn't drive there anymore. I will be reapplying soon with my new job because Applebee's just ain't cutting it.

Yeah i hear ya man.....you're right about the attitudes of the bad customers......there are some cool people though.....well that sucks about losing that Olive Garden gig.......I used to actually work at Applebees in Nashville TN and was a dishwasher....that frigin sucked azz......$7 an hour to do dishes....i quit after 5 months of that crap.....

When people say "But look you make those tips on top of hourly pay".....well yeah that's true drivers a little more than waiters/waitresses, but there are busy seasons/weeks ...and there are terrible times too......and in our field we dont get medical coverage...(waiters or pizza drivers)...and for drivers there is no fund to help if your car breaks down..if that happens you are SOL......so during the good weeks/seasons...most of us use that money to save up for the bad times.....so it all evens out...

Old 11-06-2007, 01:22 PM

58,949 posts, read 46,135,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
I worked at a restaurant. The people who tip below 15% to me are *******s. I am never rude and always try my best to get food out on time.

Yes, we do make half of minimum wage. In Illinois the minimum wage is 7.50, servers at restaurants make 4.00. You call that a livable wage?

I've been tipped 40 bucks before. I've been left a penny before by rotten redneck bastards who deserve to have their house burned down usually. These people are scumbags and think of no one but themselves. Bad karma catches up to people.

I never leave any less than 5 at a restaurant, no matter how much the bill. Came into Applebee's a couple weeks ago and ordered a dessert, that was it. The tip was more than the dessert. I take up their time, and their table. That is less money for them if I am going to be an ******* and leave a 15% tip off a 4.50 bill. That money is life and death for some waiters and waitresses. People don't understand the nature of the work, or the pay scale. WE DO NOT MAKE MINIMUM WAGE! WE MAKE BELOW MINIMUM WAGE! So do pizza delivery people as well, because by US law any company that allows their employee's to make tips they do not have to pay minimum wage. By not giving a pizza delivery person a tip, that makes you a piece of **** too as far as I am concerned.
First off, I generally agree with you on tipping....although if I go in a place and just spend $3.50 and they aren't busy and I wasn't really taking up a table then I probably just leave them a $5. On a full meal order...generally around 20%

You talk about living wage but that gets to be a slippery slope. You probably notice that the wait staff at that applebees will generally be people you might not hire at an Olive Garden etc? It goes right up the chain...supply and demand....I knew a girl in college that took a PAY CUT when she stopped being a cocktail waitress at a higher-end restaurant bar and started working full time as an architect.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:39 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,761,874 times
<------ Husband... of Movingtohouston ( as she said that she was not arguing)

Best tip for Pizza... $10 in a $40 dollar order... Just hand them the $50 and say thanks...lets not limit ourselves. I personally couldn't hand some one a $20 for a $14 order and ask for a dollar back... so it would most likely be a $6 tip, however it had better be the best pizza, each and every time... that is service. Now lets consider the:

Pizza Driver Economics at a rate of the $5 tip

lets assume a 7 hr shift, with 6 deilveries each hour.

Salary of $5.60

Lets assume Part Time 3 days a week

Hourly (21 hrs) $117
Average Desired Tip of $5 $630

Annual income $38,844

Also, maintain your records for the IRS, use of personal vehicle for business is tax deductable.

Imagine if you did if Full Time, please send me an application.

Last edited by movingtohouston; 11-06-2007 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-06-2007, 05:52 PM

859 posts, read 1,972,609 times
lol... nice counting there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink