U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 05:56 PM

118 posts, read 488,289 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Thaspecial, for reading my story. I am not trying to gain sympathy or displace responsibility, these were my choices, cut short. I only wish to convey to the people that think service providers are lazy, unmotivated, unintelligent people, most of us are not. Some have been caught in the current of life without a firm foothold or a warm arm around us when most needed. So we do what we must to take care of ourselves and those we brought into this world. Most of us do it with integrity, pride, honor, and some twisted sort of pleasure, or we would be miserable.

I am teaching my children to share what they have, gain comfort from others, and give when you can. I am also teaching my children the value of a hard earned dollar, budgeting and saving, and self reward, not immediate gratification or a sense of entitlement. Hopefully my children will become responsible, respectful, respectable adults.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 06:07 PM

7 posts, read 14,276 times
I tip when it is good service, otherwise i will put 10% or such, just because they are figuring 15% into their salaries

Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 PM

1,352 posts, read 5,944,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
<------ Husband... of Movingtohouston ( as she said that she was not arguing)

Best tip for Pizza... $10 in a $40 dollar order... Just hand them the $50 and say thanks...lets not limit ourselves. I personally couldn't hand some one a $20 for a $14 order and ask for a dollar back... so it would most likely be a $6 tip, however it had better be the best pizza, each and every time... that is service. Now lets consider the:

Pizza Driver Economics at a rate of the $5 tip

lets assume a 7 hr shift, with 6 deilveries each hour.

Salary of $5.60

Lets assume Part Time 3 days a week

Hourly (21 hrs) $117
Average Desired Tip of $5 $630

Annual income $38,844

Also, maintain your records for the IRS, use of personal vehicle for business is tax deductable.

Imagine if you did if Full Time, please send me an application.

Nice math work movingtohoustons husband....you have it all figured out like you actually did this job before.......You forgot to add the amount of scum that leaves no tip....the price of gas everyday...which i use about $15 dollars a day at work .....i make about 400 on a 2 weeks check but only get like 250 from taxes getting taken out...and then you forgot to determine which nights or weeks or seasons are the busy season or the slow times to....so what that really comes out to every month when i get my checks and the money for tips after gas is about 1500-1700 a month......which is about 20,000 a year....ill get that application ready for you as soon as i finish on the toilet

Old 11-06-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie_2 View Post
Thank you, Thaspecial, for reading my story. I am not trying to gain sympathy or displace responsibility, these were my choices, cut short. I only wish to convey to the people that think service providers are lazy, unmotivated, unintelligent people, most of us are not. Some have been caught in the current of life without a firm foothold or a warm arm around us when most needed. So we do what we must to take care of ourselves and those we brought into this world. Most of us do it with integrity, pride, honor, and some twisted sort of pleasure, or we would be miserable.

I am teaching my children to share what they have, gain comfort from others, and give when you can. I am also teaching my children the value of a hard earned dollar, budgeting and saving, and self reward, not immediate gratification or a sense of entitlement. Hopefully my children will become responsible, respectful, respectable adults.
no problem....you are right most of us are just trying to get by in life the best we can for our specific situation.....i just love how people assume that if they jumped into someone's life that they could make it better than what we have already tryed to do.....the people at those high paying jobs got there through having goals and taking steps...and some through opportunities of knowing the right people or having a natural charasmatic attitude that got them in the door....we are not all starting out at the same point in life so we shouldnt say what one person could have done better in life to have achieved the same level of success as you have at that exact same time....

i may be delivering pizzas right now and i love the job because i have a great boss which is sometimes better than having all that money working for a stressfull job and boss....but at the same time people like me "do" have goals but are we failures because we havent achieved them just yet ...no.....we all have our own obstacles and timing in life....

so people need to stop blaming me or anyone else who is in a job for being there and they need to realize that they are the ones going out or having food delivered while being served and show appreciation....why would you order or go out if you say that people shouldnt work at these places.....you need service right?...and someone has to work there to give it to you....

there are all kinds of people working these jobs for different reasons and people want to make excuses of why they dont want to leave 2 dollars on a 16-17 dollar meal......what gives?...is it the workers fault really that you aren't giving them more or is it being stingy, or what is it....are you really too poor to leave something good for good service.......Taco Bell is right around the corner so there arent alot of excuses really......i dont make tons of money but i give what i got if i felt a person did the best job they could do.....i would rather them have it then me using it to go buy some beer

Old 11-07-2007, 01:19 AM

468 posts, read 1,550,535 times
I always leave 15-20%, depending on how I feel that day. It's only courteous...

Then again, if the service was complete crap, maybe 5-10%

Old 11-07-2007, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post
I always leave 15-20%, depending on how I feel that day. It's only courteous...

Then again, if the service was complete crap, maybe 5-10%
THAT'S GREAT !!!!.......i like the way you post....that is what seems right......thanks for tipping...I think im going to go thru all these posts and give "everyone" a rep point for just posting....even the ones who disagree with me...thanks everybody!!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:26 AM

13,169 posts, read 207,871 times
We tip. I just wanted to get that out of the way.

But, I hate the idea of tipping. We (the consumers) have built this system, so we have to live with it. We tip, therefore we will always HAVE to tip.

what's this about beging able to get good service IF you tip? What happened to the concept of good service, period? Isn't that what the business is supposed to provide -- along with good food -- in order to survive? Like someone said, it's the person's job to provide good service, tipping or no tipping.

Do I tip my doctor? My banker? my cashier at the Walmart register? the deli guy? How about the kennel? Oh, yes - there's the mailman. Do I tip every time he manages to get the mail into the box without mangling it? Will he miss the box and throw it in my driveway if I don't tip?

Tipping has gotten out of hand. It used to be that customers left tips for service above and beyond basic GOOD service. Tips were for someone who went the extra mile (I'm not talking about delivery drivers now ) . Good service was expected without the tip, and I can remember when we actually got good service without having to "buy" it with tips.

If we didn't build and support such a tipping mindset, then maybe these people would be paid a living wage by the employer. It must be nice to have your own business and know that your customers will help you pay the wages, and you won't have to dip into your profits to kick in that extra raise for someone who really IS doing a good job.

Now, shall I tell you how I really feel?

By the way, we do tip most of the time, and sometimes quite generously, but never if the service wasn't good.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:53 AM

238 posts, read 526,420 times
here in england we dont tip people unless the service is absolutely the best!! i dont know why it is but no one really thinks anything of it. do u think we're selfish?

Old 11-07-2007, 06:08 AM

Doctors Make Over 50,000 A Year.....pizza Drivers Make?

Old 11-07-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
We tip. I just wanted to get that out of the way.

But, I hate the idea of tipping. We (the consumers) have built this system, so we have to live with it. We tip, therefore we will always HAVE to tip.

what's this about beging able to get good service IF you tip? What happened to the concept of good service, period? Isn't that what the business is supposed to provide -- along with good food -- in order to survive? Like someone said, it's the person's job to provide good service, tipping or no tipping.

Do I tip my doctor? My banker? my cashier at the Walmart register? the deli guy? How about the kennel? Oh, yes - there's the mailman. Do I tip every time he manages to get the mail into the box without mangling it? Will he miss the box and throw it in my driveway if I don't tip?

Tipping has gotten out of hand. It used to be that customers left tips for service above and beyond basic GOOD service. Tips were for someone who went the extra mile (I'm not talking about delivery drivers now ) . Good service was expected without the tip, and I can remember when we actually got good service without having to "buy" it with tips.

If we didn't build and support such a tipping mindset, then maybe these people would be paid a living wage by the employer. It must be nice to have your own business and know that your customers will help you pay the wages, and you won't have to dip into your profits to kick in that extra raise for someone who really IS doing a good job.

Now, shall I tell you how I really feel?

By the way, we do tip most of the time, and sometimes quite generously, but never if the service wasn't good.

i will still give a good tip "no matter" how greedy or selfish people are...i know what servers and drivers go thru so ill tip EXTRA good just because of people who don't ....Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who cares about other people

Last edited by johnycakes; 11-07-2007 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: Eliminated personal attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink