Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 03:27 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Dominos added a surcharge to the price of their pizzas to compensate the drivers. So now I should tip them on top of this? We may give them a dollar or two maybe a little more if the weather is horrific but 5.00 no way.

I should also add that when we go out to restaurants my husband will go crazy with the tipping for good service. It is all about the level of service. If we have a lousy waiter or waitress then the amount goes down. We very rarely go out or order pizza anyway. I have a large family and cannot afford to this very often anyway.

I just wish you would honestly answer this question and not avoid what your heart tells you about giving in this situation......again here it is.....How much money would "you" ask for to drive your own car and use your own gas money to deliver a pizza to someone you don't know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 05:40 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Highlands Gal is right. Another good reason to avoid lawyers. And blue collar workers ABSOLUTELY tip better.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:03 PM

634 posts, read 2,922,307 times
10%-15% Tip is the way to go.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
I'm an older guy making decent money, but I remember what it was like to be young and work for crummy wages at a boring job. So I tip as much as I can, preferably in cash -- no singles -- and never less than 20%.

It's not like I can't afford it, or like I'm some sort of royalty.

Others may disagree, but that's my take on it.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:18 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I just want to know who believes people shouldn't tip

Thanx,
Doctors and Lawyers do NOT tip.....REALTORS do not tip. Workin people do tip.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:16 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
Quote:
I just wish you would honestly answer this question and not avoid what your heart tells you about giving in this situation......again here it is.....How much money would "you" ask for to drive your own car and use your own gas money to deliver a pizza to someone you don't know?
You want an honest answer no I don't feel I should be required to tip a pizza delivery driver. Before the pizza places started adding surcharges to the cost of pizza you would have gotten a tip. Not anymore. More often than not my husband will pick up the pizza on his way home from work. It is the drivers choice to take that job. I am sorry it doesn't pay more but it is not up to me to pay for your gas for your car so you can do a job you knew didn't pay well to begin with.

I am tired of being expected to tip every single person who works a service job. Should I tip the mailman next or the newspaper guy or the garbage each and everytime they do their job? How about the cashier at the grocery store or the landscaper who cuts your grass. Does he need to be tipped each and every time he cuts the grass? He is taking his own lawnmower and gas to cut some strangers lawn? Where does this stop. I am sorry you wanted my honest opinion and there it is.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:03 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Doctors and Lawyers do NOT tip.....REALTORS do not tip. Workin people do tip.
I go out to dinner almost every Tuesday night with 2-3 buddies. We are all white collar, all grew up blue collar households and one of them is a lawyer.

We almost ALWAYS tip around 20%...in fact, the lawyer is probably the most generous tipper of the group.

This doesn't prove anything in general but since we are talking anecdotally there are my 2 pennies.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:18 AM

97 posts, read 369,841 times
Quote:
When i was growing up if we didn't have the money to leave a tip then we didn't order food from pizza places or we didn't go out to eat......and i still think this way about tipping....if i am ordering a $14 dollar pizza or something inn that range i "ALWAYS" leave at least $5 dollars.....I just want to know who believes people shouldn't tip?....and who believes you should tip waiters, delivery drivers ect....?...and why do you think like this?

Thanx,
a 5$ tip for a 14$ pizza?? u must be very rich

Last edited by viraj; 11-05-2007 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: k

Old 11-05-2007, 10:55 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj View Post
a 5$ tip for a 14$ pizza?? u must be very rich
No, he/she is a pizza delivery driver trying to guilt everyone into leaving almost 40% tips.

Our pizza shop charges $1.50 for delivery. I usually tip $2.00 on top of that for about a $15-20 order. The pizza place is like 2 miles from our house. I think $3.50 to drive 2 miles is pretty good.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 AM

97 posts, read 369,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
No, he/she is a pizza delivery driver trying to guilt everyone into leaving almost 40% tips.

Our pizza shop charges $1.50 for delivery. I usually tip $2.00 on top of that for about a $15-20 order. The pizza place is like 2 miles from our house. I think $3.50 to drive 2 miles is pretty good.
lol i was actually being saracastic....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink