Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 05:44 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,557,420 times

Advertisements

I tip 20% if the service is good, my water glass remains full and the server provides me with my correct/complete order. I tip less if any of those were lacking. I can only recall a few times where I didn't leave at least 15%. I get embarrassed when splitting the bill with some of my tight-wad friends. I don't want to appear to the server as the cheap one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 06:28 AM

77,878 posts, read 60,016,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Sense of entitlement... like.... maybe asking someone to serve you without compensating them for their time, energy, and in the case of drivers, gas and engine wear and tear?
We all know that's not what the guy said.
Please, you seem bright enough to make a valid point without mangling someone else's words into something they didn't say so you can "correct them".

Old 11-08-2007, 07:00 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,005,601 times
Default To Tip or Not To Tip . . .

It is a personal decision whether or not to tip (unless you are dining at an establishment that automatically adds a gratuity to the bill . . . and even then you have the choice whether or not to eat there).

I do not believe that tipping should be the catalyst for good service. Good service should always be expected by a customer, and should always be the goal of employees. However, we know that is not always the case.

Many will state that tipping is expected to supplement the low wages of those in most service-related industries. I definitely disagree with that as being the reason for tipping. To me, that just allows the business owner to reap higher profits by paying low wages and expecting the customers to make up the difference. I would prefer that waitstaff etc., be paid higher wages and have the cost of the meal increased by say, 5%.

When I go out to dine and the cost of the meal is $8.99, then that is what I expect to pay (plus taxes obviously). Same holds true if I take a taxi or shuttle, etc., etc., I want to know upfront what the cost is and budget accordingly...not have to continually dig out another +/_ 20%.

I have had many retail employees go the extra mile to assist me in a store, and yet I have never tipped them for that service. When I stay in a hotel I do not leave a tip for housekeeping.

Again, it's a personal choice. And that is the way it should be: the customer's choice . . . it should not be automatically "assumed" that the customer will leave a tip.

Yes, servers are unpaid. But again, you have greedy business owners who want to keep it that way to pad their wallets. And yes, the low paid worker did elect to accept the job and low wages. . . but again, it is not my responsibilty to make up the difference.

Do I tip? I have, and I will . . . but it will be my choice based on superior service and attitude - not out of guilt that the worker is unpaid.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:24 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,196,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We all know that's not what the guy said.
Please, you seem bright enough to make a valid point without mangling someone else's words into something they didn't say so you can "correct them".
Thanks math guy. You are right that was not what I said at all.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:09 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,333,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Thanks math guy. You are right that was not what I said at all.
I never attempted to characterize what you said. I meant to contextualize it. You mentioned a sense of entitlement referring, it seems to the fact that people feel as if they are entitled to additional compensation for the service they provide. Thing is, they are not always adequately compensated on the other end of the equation, so they depend on you to make up the difference. It's simply the way things are done.

If that's a sense of entitlement they feel, then I ask with all due respect if that is any difference than the sense being entitled to service without compensating the person who provides that service?

Old 11-10-2007, 03:54 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,935,955 times
Last night we ordered a $22 pizza with a $1 tip. I lol'd.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:42 PM

397 posts, read 262,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
When i was growing up if we didn't have the money to leave a tip then we didn't order food from pizza places or we didn't go out to eat......and i still think this way about tipping....if i am ordering a $14 dollar pizza or something inn that range i "ALWAYS" leave at least $5 dollars.....I just want to know who believes people shouldn't tip?....and who believes you should tip waiters, delivery drivers ect....?...and why do you think like this?

Thanx,

as someone who use to Delivery Pizzas if I got a $5 tip on a $14 Pizza I would be extremly impressed and happy, on just a Pizza anything less then $2 is an insult, a $2-$3 tip is fine though with gas prices as they are maybe a little more if the place is kind of far, some places charge a delivery fee and hopefully that place is giving that money to the Driver otherwise the driver shouldnt work there, with a $1 delivery fee a $2 tip should be fine if the place isnt that far

Old 11-10-2007, 05:52 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,196,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I
If that's a sense of entitlement they feel, then I ask with all due respect if that is any difference than the sense being entitled to service without compensating the person who provides that service?

Now you are just being silly. I never, ever said that you should not be compensated for doing your job. The entitlement I refer to is the expectation by many people that unless you tip 40 to 50 percent you are an awful person. I am tired of being told that it is up to me to make up your pay difference. Yes you live off of tips but it is not my job to tip you enough so you can live the high life. That is the entitlement I refer to. I have met many people in real life who act just this way.

So that nothing can be mistrued once again, I tip. I tip well if service calls for it. I will not give you a 50 percent tip just because you want it and expect it. I think that is about it.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:17 PM

397 posts, read 262,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSoBe View Post
I used to view tipping as optional until I learned that most waiters/waitresses aren't paid a salary and those that are receive 3rd world wages.

But the tipping jar at the Dunkin Donuts counter gets ignored. It just doesn't wash with me.
I feel somewhat guilty not tipping those counter food service guys who prepare the food get paid crap and have a tip jar, but I barely tip them(maybe a few cents if it is change), I just cant afford it, I barely eat out anyway, I dont however feel guilty not tipping the Gas Station clerk who has a tip jar next to the register, the gas station I go to actually has the balls to ask for a tip when all he does is ask what pump I am gonna be at take my money and give my change, I wish I had a $1,000 Bill so I could buy $28.50 cents worth of gas, have him hand me back $971.50 right over the visible tip jar and I could just walk away

Old 11-10-2007, 06:37 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,261,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Last night we ordered a $22 pizza with a $1 tip. I lol'd.
I wouldn't "EVER" order from that place again.....Trust me on that one.....those dudes may seem like they are being nice on the phone if you do order but...stories go around about people that act like that.....(especially with the LOL thing afterwards)....you'll be lucky if there isnt some bodily fluids in the sauce on your next pizza or the one after that....so i would order from a different place....just some advice my friend...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink