Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 05:56 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,568 times

Advertisements

I also prefer savory/salty/spicy. Sweets just aren't appealing to me. Extremely sweet things make me sick to my stomach. I hate biting into something and feeling my teeth crunching on sugar, I feel like my teeth will disinegrate. LOL. I just don't gravitate towards it. Ice cream isn't appealing, cakes don't look good to me, neither does pies or candies. I have some occasional craving for peanut m&ms however. And if I'm in the mood for a dessert, I would choose a chocolate eclair, creme puff or creme brulee.

As a child, I did like sweets but I was never overly fond of them. My mom didn't let us eat a lot of it. Halloween was a huge deal but the candy would last forever as the pieces would be portioned out. I will say I did used to love Baskin Robbins Mint Chocolate Chip Fudge sundaes. Haven't had one of those in years!

Nowadays I am very health conscious and need to watch what I eat. So if I'm going to splurge on something that I know isn't that great for me, it will be something with tons of carbs like a big bowl of pasta or fried rice or something like that.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:52 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I like sweets and rarely eat salty foods but growing up I liked both. I do know I eat too many sweets which makes me crave more which is not good.
I thought I read that in general women tend to crave sweets and men savory? I think men tend to crave more meat

Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 PM

472 posts, read 570,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post

Have you noticed, most diet foods are based on satisfying a sweet craving?
There is a very strange reason for "low fat" food tasting sweet.
In order to call a food "low fat", it needs to have 30% or less of calories from fat. So, lower the fat, okay.

But let's say the fat's still over 30% of calories--they can add sugar to it and call it low fat. Why? Not because there are less fat calories, but because with the added sugar, the total calories are more, and the fat calories make up less % of the total. It's true.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I like sweets and rarely eat salty foods but growing up I liked both. I do know I eat too many sweets which makes me crave more which is not good.
I thought I read that in general women tend to crave sweets and men savory? I think men tend to crave more meat
I don't know, the past two guys I've been in relationships with were candy freaks/ice cream fiends. I can have a bag of candy in my pantry for a year and not run out, and I almost never eat ice cream.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't know, the past two guys I've been in relationships with were candy freaks/ice cream fiends. I can have a bag of candy in my pantry for a year and not run out, and I almost never eat ice cream.
I tend to crave sweets after dinner most days.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Yeah, and it never even occurs to me to have dessert.

I will sometimes have a bowl of popcorn later, though.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:12 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I've heard of these people. I've never met one, though.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:36 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
I was raised without ever having candy/cookies/cakes in our home. When I wanted something sweet my parents gave me fruit. I raised our children the same way. We had company awhile back & made coffee, then realized I didn't have any sugar in the house. My guests bring over cake and then take it back home with them.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I occasionally hear people who say they 'don't like sweet tasting foods' or sweet tastes, or they much prefer savoury. Often, I notice, it's older people but occasionally young too.

Being a sweet-tooth I definitely don't fall into that category, but I'd find it strange if someone didn't like anything sweet at all like chocolate, lolly/candy/sweets, cake, sugary drinks, ice cream.etc. Even fruit, I suppose.

Do you think there's a psychological/neurological reason for it? That some people just don't like sweet foods?
Do some people grow out of them?
It's a symptom of pre-diabetes or diabetes. That's why you see it mostly in older people.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:29 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you think there's a psychological/neurological reason for it? That some people just don't like sweet foods?
Do some people grow out of them?
I think the question should be why do some people crave excessively sweet foods, not why some people not. When I tell people I don't like dessert they look at me like I just showed them my new face tattoo, but I feel like I'm the one with the more natural and normal eating habits. To me eating really sweet desserts or sweet tea is like eating a bowl of olive oil with a spoon. Sometimes if I'm craving a little sweetness I'll mix about 9 parts regular tea with 1 part sweet tea and the sweetness level is perfect for me. I can't imagine how people can drink straight sweet tea.

I grew up liking sweet foods because that's what I was given and was used to. Then when I got older and became more health-conscious I mostly eliminated refined grains and added sugars from my diet and since then I no longer crave those things. My palate adjusted and nearly all desserts are cloying/sickeningly sweet to me now. And this adjustment happens all the time when people eliminate those foods.

I think the reason why some people crave more/less sweet foods has to do with gut bacteria populations. The types of bacteria in our digestive system change according to what we eat, they even change after bariatric surgery. Some of these bacteria like sugars, some like fats, some like fiber, etc. If you eat lots of sugary foods you're selecting for certain strains of bacteria and against others. They consume the sugars and reproduce in greater numbers and out-compete the other types.

I think that a large part of food cravings is these bacteria putting in their food order. Humans have lived with these bacteria for millions of years and we weren't the only ones evolving to increase the chances of our survival during that time.

Are bacteria making you hungry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink