U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 PM

238 posts, read 215,213 times

Advertisements

My other faves quick & easy meals are:

Cream cheese, cheddar and salsa roll ups - we make several bags worth of tortillas in the summer and have them when it's too hot to cook. If we have company we cut them into fancy spirals otherwise just eat like a wrap - they stay fresh for a really long time

Diced ham, smoked sausage or hot dogs and shredded cheese mixed into 2 boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix with a can of creamed corn or fiesta corn added and baked into muffins (optional green chilies or jalapenos)

Nuked potato w/broccoli & cheese or chili and cheese

Pasta salad w/bottled salad dressing and any vegs- the fastest way is using frozen veg and adding the last couple of minutes or even just putting it in the colander and draining - add a can of drained and rinsed beans or some cooked chicken, tuna or shrimp for those who need a heartier meal

Spinach salad w/grilled or rotisserie chicken, fruits and veggies, nuts or seeds and a vinaigrette, cheese optional
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 AM

182 posts, read 89,957 times
Boneless chicken sauted with garlic, add can of chicken broth, let boil and thicken a little......great over linguini or rice and very easy and quick

Old 02-20-2014, 11:23 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,055,119 times
SOS/S-it on a shingle. Throw bread in toaster. My grocery store meat department has shaved sirloin. I buy that. Salt/pepper it. Cook over high heat in a little oil till done, about 3 minutes. Remove, toss in equal parts flour/butter in pan and make a roux. Add in milk, a tbsp of demi glace and stir till thickened. Salt/pepper to taste. Toss meat back in and serve over the toast. Simple, filling and something I had at a friend's house but with jarred beef strips growing up. I prefer the fresh meat I mentioned. If I have more time, I will add onions or mushrooms.

Another thing I make quickly are quesadillas. Especially if I have leftover meat from another meal. I saute it in a pan with a touch of chipotle powder and salt. While that's cooking, I chop up a tomato, avocado, lime and cilantro. I then brush oil on one sides of several tortillas. I lay it oiled side down, place meat/cheese and another tortilla oiled side up on a cookie sheet. Broil on high till golden. Then I serve with the tomatoes, avocado and crema etc.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:49 PM

2,965 posts, read 5,219,067 times
Ooh, a hot meal using raw ingredients, no leftovers? Hmm. OK:
  1. While a saucepan is heating take a piece of whatever meat and slice very thin--30 secs;
  2. Oil the pan, a tiny bit of salt and pepper in the oil, and toss in the meat--another 30 secs (very thin meat);
  3. Throw meat in a bowl and fill the hot pan with water, helping lift the cooked bits from the pan for flavor and easier cleaning later--10 secs;
  4. While the water is coming to a simmer, take a cup and mix soy sauce, sesame oil, hot sauce, and whatever else. Bonita flakes are great. Chinese 5-spice maybe. Peanut butter too, but it takes time to incorporate. A grater can mince a garlic clove in 10 secs--total 1 min;
  5. Throw broccoli (separate with your hands) on a paper towel in the microwave set to 50 secs--20 secs;
  6. With the water boiling, throw in a package of ramen noodles without the salt package. Just cook it enough so it breaks apart, not so it's soft. You have to "unfold" the noodle pack as the starch wets so finessing takes a little extra time--1 min, scant actual cooking time;
  7. Transfer noodles to the bowl, toss with meat, broccoli and sauce.
That's generously less than 5 minutes. With a balance of time you can use a box grater to shred carrot into noodle bowl and mix. Take a handful of roasted peanuts and chop them fine. Cilantro maybe, hand torn. You can use another noodle besides packaged ramen, but I keep those cheap ramen packs on hand for this kind of quickie meal even though I promised myself long ago I'd never set tongue on them again.

Clean up is part of cooking too, so that's one pan kind of pre-rinsed, one cup, one bowl, a hand grater for the garlic, a box grater, a cooking spoon, a knife and cutting board. And the fork for eating. Not terribly bad.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:04 PM

6,603 posts, read 11,760,926 times
Here's my healthy breakfast--made the night before--no cooking. One bowl. Takes only a couple of minutes.

Mix up some vanilla yogurt, oatmeal, shake of cinnamon, and fresh cut up fruit of your choice I've been using strawberries and frozen blue or blackberries.

Mix together, cover and put in frig overnight. In the morning, eat as is or add some sliced banana and some slivered almonds or chopped walnuts.

It's filling, delicious and healthy--and ready-made.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:12 PM

5,053 posts, read 4,125,893 times
Scrambled eggs and bread
Sardine sandwich and baby carrots on the side

Old 02-22-2014, 12:45 PM

11,523 posts, read 13,802,572 times
Vegie burger on a whole wheat thin roll w/ a yam on the side. That's a meal for me.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:54 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,682,009 times
A no cooking, complete meal, with all four food groups, is ...
A margarita and a creme-filled, chocolate donut!

Just kidding - I vote for the aglia olio ..the pasta w/garlic and oil and grated cheese.
Veggies are optional, but a nice touch as long as they're not from a can.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:42 PM

912 posts, read 1,454,941 times
In the warm weather, I make a really quick Greek-style salad.

Romaine lettuce, chunked summer tomatoes, sliced English cucumber, sliced olives from the olive bar, feta crumbles, parsley, and some green or red onion. Toss all of that in a garlic/lemon vinaigrette that I almost always have in the fridge, then top with some pre-cooked shrimp from the fish market down the street. Dinner is served in under 10 minutes.

Or, when I'm feeling really lazy, pita chips, hummus, and some spinach tossed in that vinaigrette for a touch of green to my meal. No shame in the pita chips, at least not here.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:04 PM

23,079 posts, read 29,874,579 times
I'd have to say Angel Hair pasta with a good quality tomato basil sauce, tossed green salad with canned chick peas and garlic bread.

Fast tasty and inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink