Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 04:28 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
My desire is to save money and have good food. Pre made food in Costa Rica is very expensive and my wife is not a sloppy cook.
That sucks man, we're currently living in Guatemala and there are tons of places with good fried chicken you can buy to carry out, everything from food stalls to comedors to chain restaurants like Pollo Granjero and Pollo Campero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 04:34 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
Versatile, my wife has been frying chicken most of her life and said the way you cook it in the electric skillet is the same as if you were cooking it in a skillet on the stove. And we have never finished cooking fried chicken in an oven.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:40 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
My mom always made it in an electric skillet and it was great!

Old 11-17-2017, 07:42 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,269 times
I agree with luzianne. My mom and grandma used an electric skillet. As others have said, don't crowd the pan. Have kitchen towels ready to soak up extra grease for the pieces you remove. The five minutes on one side method will work if you think about the anatomy of the pieces. For chicken breasts, put the bone side down first, then meat side down.

If it would happen to be a little pink in the middle, eat the cooked parts and put it back in the hot oil for a bit (after bringing oil back up to temperature). It's the same principle as frying anything else. Good luck!

Old 11-17-2017, 09:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Versatile, my wife has been frying chicken most of her life and said the way you cook it in the electric skillet is the same as if you were cooking it in a skillet on the stove. And we have never finished cooking fried chicken in an oven.
I have never even heard of that until today. I don't have an electric skillet, so IDK the temp I am cooking on, but I guess it's lower to cook the inside too. Comes out awesome.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:59 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,991,884 times
When I do a big batch in the electric skillet, I start it at 360....get everything browned nicely, then put the lid on and turn it down to about 325 for about 5-10 mins...then crank the heat back until it gets just a tad darker than light brown....then take it out. Takes about 35-40 mins, depending how large the pieces are.....

Old 11-19-2017, 09:39 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,064 times
I always fry chicken in my electric skillet.

3 points I was taught:

1. grease needs to be hot when you put chick in. Test by putting a few drops of water in. If it pops the grease is hot.
2. put the chicken in and leave it alone. Turn it only once.
3. cover with the skillet lid. This will help keep the chicken moist.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:36 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,673 times
When I was a kid growing up in the 60s - 70s we had fried chicken at least once every couple weeks

And my mom always cooked it on the counter top using this elec skillet about 4 inches deep and 12x14 inches.

She used white Crisco lard from a big can and made the best fried chicken

I have had similar made in a large cast iron skillet.

Something about the direct contact of the chicken with the pan makes the crust more crunch than simply immersed in boiling oil.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:19 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
My desire is to save money and have good food. Pre made food in Costa Rica is very expensive and my wife is not a sloppy cook.
I’m not a sloppy cook either, but grease frying is messy. Maybe you could do it outside?

Old 11-22-2017, 04:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Gads....Now I'm going to have to make myself some fried chicken soon....Yum.

Mom always fried ours in a cast iron skillet. One of the best parts of frying it yourself is always the left over crispy bits in the bottom of the pan. I rarely do pick up chicken...I cannot tolerate chicken skin that isn't fried good and crispy.

I've used an electric skillet....Although I prefer my cast iron skillets. Get your oil hot, I do med/high heat....add the chicken....let it brown on the bottom...turn it over and finish cooking with the lid on or off. I find lid on makes it juicy, off makes it fry a bit crispier.

I dispose of any left over grease by dumping it into a tin can....a coffee can with a lid if I have an empty one....let it harden overnight and throw it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink