Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 01:07 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I used to have a vintage one, I loved to make steaks in it, because the temperature was just right. It quit working after a time and have not replaced it. You make me want another one, Kyle!
It is nice to have that precision temp control but I rarely use mine - I have a griddle for pancakes...not sure what else I'd use it for other than maybe to keep something warm and the oven was tied up.

I do remember I used to fry up breaded oysters using it - just because it has a very even temperature so it's easier knowing when to turn them - you don't want to overcook your oysters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 01:12 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
When I become a bird I'll be especially careful about this.

I've read that turtles are very susceptible to toxicity from salt.

Do you cite any actual cases where a live human being was injured as a result of cooking with a non stick pan? I don't mean being present but unconscious in a room where a fire occurred).

That is what is called "empirical" evidence.
Jeeze, you're arguing with me even when I fundamentally agreed with your premise about the probable safely of currently using that stuff. And it's not really a hot button of mine since I stated I use it, too.

DuPont themselves knew teflon chemicals were damaging the health of their own employees and causing birth defects. And for decades they contaminated entire communities.

https://uspirg.org/blogs/blog/usp/fi...emical-company

Try Bartlett V DuPont.

Let me help you:

https://www.alternet.org/personal-he...perties-teflon

Actually nope, again on the other stuff. First of all that's not what you said.

Empirical evidence is information that verifies the truth (that which accurately corresponds to reality) or falsity (inaccuracy) of a claim.

Now, your claim suggested that the concern over the use of "teflon" was all bogus and imaginary. You said "Concern about them is entertaining".

I gave you empirical evidence proving it's not simply ENTERTAINING You didn't say anything about "unconscious in a room" or "injury" yada yada.

I assume you know the Canary in the Coal Mine test?

No offense but I think you'd enjoy researching the facts about Dupont and their history with teflon. They're still fighting the public relations nightmare of PFOAs.

https://www.chemours.com/Teflon/en_U...are_myths.html

There's lots.

How about Dupont's $671 Million in damages to settle a PFOE chemical leak lawsuit as an admission?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-d...-idUSKBN15S18U

Or maybe take it up with the American Cancer Society's empirical evidence.

They don't think it's so entertaining and neither do all the people who are now doing quasi consent decrees and advertising their products are PFOA free. NOTE: the part about the effects being UNKNOWN and "flu like symptoms".

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...acid-pfoa.html

It would be fun if I were going to be alive long enough to witness the discovery the cause of this rampant autism and dementia some day.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-27-2017 at 01:23 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 02:02 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
I want to agree with you.

But, . . . ok, so there is not proven case of a person harmed by cooking with PTFE, right? One can show more than that from burning plastic slipcovers, or Harry Potter lunchboxes. Show me a place where a person using the non stick pan was harmed. Not where someone in a lab heated it to about 200F above what your stove is capable of and had it blown into rat lungs.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:04 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I just recently purchased an old-school West Bend Electric Skillet and cannot express how much it's changed my life in the kitchen in terms of simplicity and clean up. No oven/stove top burners/pots and pans to clean and the one vessel type of cooking is great for people who work all day and want to cook something good+healthy minus all the work. The best $40 I've spent in a long time!
I inherited one from my mother-in-law and I love it. It's from the 60s and it still works like a charm.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:12 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Here is a nice "Pinterest" page with a lot of great skillet ideas!

https://www.pinterest.com/cvucetic/s...cipes/?lp=true

Old 11-27-2017, 07:32 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I have one that was given to me by a friend that was moving, and I wonder how I ever lived without it. I use it all the time, especially since my slumlord is too cheap to replace my stove.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:54 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:

Glad I could "convert" you! I have a glass top range also and I just simply park the skillet on top when cooking directly under the range vent, with no more added scrubbing of the glass top spills. The only time I use the burners now is for boiling water. I'll definitely check out the link for recipes, thanks!

Old 11-28-2017, 05:59 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:

I see there are a lot of Asian stir-fry type recipes which is what I do a lot of as well. I also prefer many Italian ingredient combinations that I sautee together (and serve over a protein like chicken or pork) such as roasted red peppers (right out of the jar), crimini mushrooms, marinated artichoke hearts (jarred as well), black kalamata olives, capers and of course garlic along with a bit of olive oil plus italian seasonings.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:25 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Thanks for the reminders!

For years I have had a Sunbeam (?) electric high dome top in a cabinet - somewhere. Maybe it is time to dig it out but where to store it! As I recall, I used to make Swiss steak in it but now I don't eat much beef. I forgot about making baked potatoes in but that would be cheaper than using the oven. I'm off to find my pan and hopefully it still works.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:52 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Thanks for the reminders!

For years I have had a Sunbeam (?) electric high dome top in a cabinet - somewhere. Maybe it is time to dig it out but where to store it! As I recall, I used to make Swiss steak in it but now I don't eat much beef. I forgot about making baked potatoes in but that would be cheaper than using the oven. I'm off to find my pan and hopefully it still works.
Sunbeam applicances are great - I have an old 1940s Sunbeam waffle iron - I use it regularly, and it still works, even the indicator light!!! It is heavy, solid chrome and like commercial quality. Wish they still made stuff this well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink