Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Honestly, I do not like the stuff. However, it takes almost identical to Tillamook Mild Cheddar Cheese, which is one of the worst cheeses I have ever tasted.

I live 8 miles south of the Wisconsin border - "The Cheddar Curtain" - so I have a couple of dozen local coops and artisan places to choose from.
I lived with a roommate once who contended that no edible cheddar came from anywhere but Vermont, and certainly not Wisconsin.

She was all kinds of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 07:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I lived with a roommate once who contended that no edible cheddar came from anywhere but Vermont, and certainly not Wisconsin.

Both are wrong. Cheddar comes from here and here only:

It's a small village in Somerset called Cheddar. Bourbon comes from Kentucky. Champagne comes from the region of the same name in France. West Country Farmhouse Cheddar comes from Somerset. That's that. Too bad Somerset didn't think the slap an appellation on just "cheddar." Bad move on their part.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
thanks for the info-interesting...
but the pupu platter is still on menus up here,,,,and i like the varieties on them-its a combo theme.

although the chinese buffets have taken over up here- you can pick and choose what you want

i usually avoid these places- or i'll have 3-4 plates
You don't walk into a restaurant in NY's Chinatown (home of some of the most authentic Chinese food in America) and compare it to the faux-Chinese restaurants you've been exposed to back home. Unless 'back home' is Shanghai, or maybe San Francisco. It seems like you thought you put that waiter in his place, but you really made yourself look like a clueless tourist. Sorry. That's like if you went into an authentic Italian restaurant in Little Italy and demanded Olive Garden-style bread sticks from the waiter.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:40 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
Quote:

I'm guessing she had nothing to say about real English cheddar.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 PM

We whinge on about other countries stealing our intellectual property -- pirating movies and music, for instance. But we have no problems whatsoever outright stealing the intellectual food property of other nations -- sherry, champagne, cheddar, port, pilsner, proscuitto. The list is nearly endless.

It is wrong and we shouldn't do it. Kentucky guards Bourbon ferociously. We should treat all the world's great foods with the same respect. Wisconsin and Vermont should make their own cheeses and become rightfully famous for them (they are great cheese areas, after all). Why take cheddar away from the hard-working artisans of Somerset?

EDIT -- And what we've done to balsamic vinegar is a crime. Americans for the most part have NO IDEA what real balsamic tastes like. If they knew, they would pour the crap we market as balsamic vinegar down the drain. It's simply wrong.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:59 PM

I am the founding member of Americans to Add "Whinge" to the Lexicon -- the AAWL. Go through my posts. I use whinge as often as possible to try to spread this word to all corners of the earth. It is so much better than "whine."

I am also a member of American Friends for Texas Secession. And yes, Steinbeck is my favorite writer.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 PM

Didn't know that (just Googled it, too). I always assumed Jack was "Tennessee Sipping Whiskey" because they weren't allowed to call it bourbon.

But my point stands -- some regional foods are best left to the regions that perfected them in the first place. Nothing tastes like real champagne. Not even Schramsberg, which is the best sparkling our country makes. A fine wine, indeed. But still not champagne.

Farmhouse cheddar tastes NOTHING like what comes out of Wisconsin or Vermont. Not even from the low-production artisanal cheese makers. It just isn't the same. Brittany oysters -- nothing on earth compares. Iberico acorn-fed hams. There is no substitute.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:09 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
When I melt cheese to pour on vegetables or whatever it pours in one glob stuck together instead of pouring like a liquid. Ive seen cheese pour but how do they do it?
Four pages of posts and not a single one answers OP question.

Dear OP, please try this:
Melt the cheese in a pot and add some milk to get the desired consistency.
You can also follow this instruction:
http://allrecipes.com/howto/cheese-sauce-made-easy/

Old 05-30-2013, 05:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
The first three posts on the thread answered perfectly that s/he needs to make a cheese sauce, and provided links.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:28 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
The first three posts on the thread answered perfectly that s/he needs to make a cheese sauce, and provided links.

Agree; everyone should please keep posts on topic and also not berate other posters. Just report any posts off topic.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink