Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:50 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I often scope out a restaurant beforehand to ensure they have things I like and how I like them. For an example I love Greek foods but the restaurants often don't have the two dishes I love to order. I will find one that has them and if not, I usually go another type of restaurant.

I also adore bearnaise sauce to go with my "plymouth" rock of filet mignon. If a steakhouse doesn't offer it, I find one that does or I order something different. Or in an extreme case, leave. (this happened to me once with a piccadillo dish came laden with mint, raisins and bits of guava. Shudder.)

But I have dined with/met people/read reviews and comments that they get offended if something isn't offered that they want. Why? There are so many restaurants out there to choose from. Why suffer and pay for a meal that you won't enjoy?

I have never seen nor heard of piccadillo with those ingredients in it, I doubt I would care for it much either. We generally stick to our tried and true restaurants unless we are traveling then we get a wee bit more adventurous and go see what the area has to offer. We have found many wonderful off the beaten path places as well as many not so wonderful places. It is always a crap shoot when it comes to food, especially in an unknown to you location.

We generally find something on the menu we like even if it is just an appetizer, then we will have it our iced tea or pop, leave the tip, pay the cashier and go find a place for a real supper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:27 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I often scope out a restaurant beforehand to ensure they have things I like and how I like them. For an example I love Greek foods but the restaurants often don't have the two dishes I love to order. I will find one that has them and if not, I usually go another type of restaurant.

I also adore bearnaise sauce to go with my "plymouth" rock of filet mignon. If a steakhouse doesn't offer it, I find one that does or I order something different. Or in an extreme case, leave. (this happened to me once with a piccadillo dish came laden with mint, raisins and bits of guava. Shudder.)

But I have dined with/met people/read reviews and comments that they get offended if something isn't offered that they want. Why? There are so many restaurants out there to choose from. Why suffer and pay for a meal that you won't enjoy?
Because they are oafs. Perhaps even, boorish ones. Then again the new rage? (old rage?) is bacon on everything. Bacon sundae. No, I will not try that.

That sauce sounds nasty.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I work in Subway and we don't have the BBQ chicken sub anymore, a guy came in wanting that and when he found out we don't offer it anymore, he said F.... This!! and walked out. Oh well.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I work in Subway and we don't have the BBQ chicken sub anymore, a guy came in wanting that and when he found out we don't offer it anymore, he said F.... This!! and walked out. Oh well.
I -totally- know the feeling though. I can relate, 100%. Once in awhile, I'll be in the mood for something specific. One time it might be a certain flavor of ice cream (coffee heath bar crunch). Well the only brand you can get at either of the two supermarkets in this area, that makes that flavor, is Ben & Jerry's. Other brands make coffee ice cream, some brands make vanilla toffee crunch. But only B&J's makes coffee heath bar crunch. So when I want it, I don't want something else. I want that. I'll just be really REALLY in the mood for it.

So I'll put my shoes on, walk all the way to Big Y (it's 5 blocks away, I hate driving when I only need one or two items so I usually walk or ride my bike). I cheerfully go to the frozen section to the B&J's shelf and... wtf - NO COFFEE HEATH BAR CRUNCH today!

I mean come on. They sell it every freakin day of the week, there's always at least TWO on the shelf, usually 5, but at least 2. And now, that space is EMPTY. And it's not even on sale this week!

So I walk ALL THE WAY BACK HOME pissed off...I have a backup plan, so I get into my car, still annoyed but not entirely pissed.. and drive to the Stop & Shop, which is twice the distance but I'm no longer in the mood for walking. I just want my damned ice cream.

I go there, get to the B&J's section and...

WTF....no coffee heath bar crunch.

I'm fuming. I mean really - you can see my face is turning red, tears are welling up in my eyes, sweat is beading up on my neck.

Is it really THAT difficult for at least one supermarket out of two, to keep a particular flavor of ice cream that they both always carry, on the one day I actually want to buy it?

So I storm out of the store, mad at the world, circle my car a few times because I really don't know what to DO about this dilemma...

and eventually drive home, without ice cream, an hour of my life wasted, a cup of gasoline wasted, watching some idiot show on TV that I had set up JUST to keep me entertained while I ate the ice cream...

So yeah I can totally relate to the guy who walked in to get a sub that Subway had been featuring for months, and no longer makes.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:33 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
A good way for a restaurant to fail is if they offer too much. Good restaurants limit their menus to maybe 4 apps and 4-8 main dishes. Places that offer 20-30 things or more end up not being able to master any of the dishes and often have to carry large amounts of food in order to be able to make that many dishes. That means food often goes bad or spoils because customers might rarely order several dishes on the menu.
What kind of restaurants are you talking about? 2-4 main meals? I don't think I've ever seen a menu with less than a dozen mains, unless you're talking those really fancy pants ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink