Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:33 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times

Advertisements

Has anyone made this? I am going to try tonight, to go with some cabbage.

I was reading various recipes, apparently you have to mix/melt butter with flour, then add milk (I am going to get some whole milk instead of skim since I think I need the fat content to make the sauce work right?). And there are variations where you also put in an onion with cloves, ..and either thyme or sage....and white pepper...Im going to try this since I like spices and herbs in food...

Has anyone made this and do they have any recommendations or cautions or tricks on how to make it? Stuff to watch out for or be aware of? I'm sort of interested in the proper heat settings since I am working on an electric range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
I would use a stainless steel sauce pan if you have it so you can use a whisk. If not, gently whisk in your non stick pan.

You can actually use any type of dairy/non dairy product. The flour is what thickens it. But of course it will be richer if you use whole milk. I usually use organic fat free milk for health reasons and it comes out fine.

When you melt the butter, toss in equal parts of flour. Usually a 2 tbsp flour to 2 tbsp of butter. (I also see up to 4) Melt on medium, like 5 or 6,and whisk. It may clump up or be a smooth paste. Depending on the humidity and your flour. Either way is fine though. Then when it starts to smell nutty and turning a light golden/blonde color, stream in a cup of milk and whisk like mad. Bring it slowly up to a boil on 7ish while whisking and then simmer on 2-3. Once the lumps are gone, salt/pepper to taste.

This is also a perfect time to add your favorite cheese or herbs.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Take this with a grain of salt (or paprika, if you prefer ):

Use medium heat (about 6 o'clock on the electric burner dial) and stir constantly when you're mixing the butter and flour. If you have a silicone spatula or spoon, use it; they scrape the bottom of the pan really well.

Don't freak out if you have a few lumps. Press them against the side of the pan with your spoon or spatula.

Some recipes recommend that you heat the milk before adding it to the roux. Decrease the heat to medium low (about 7 o'clock) as you gradually stir in the milk, but be careful that you don't scald the sauce. Keep stirring!

Good luck.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Has anyone made this? I am going to try tonight, to go with some cabbage.

I was reading various recipes, apparently you have to mix/melt butter with flour, then add milk (I am going to get some whole milk instead of skim since I think I need the fat content to make the sauce work right?). And there are variations where you also put in an onion with cloves, ..and either thyme or sage....and white pepper...Im going to try this since I like spices and herbs in food...

Has anyone made this and do they have any recommendations or cautions or tricks on how to make it? Stuff to watch out for or be aware of? I'm sort of interested in the proper heat settings since I am working on an electric range.

Use the recipe in this link:Baked Rigatoni with Bechamel Sauce Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Recipes : Food Network

PS ~~ The actual dish in this recipe is extraordinary.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:56 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
wow...thanx a bunch! I'm pumped!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I would strongly recommend the one step white sauce recipe from Wondra for someone making bechamel the first time. You just put all the ingredients in your pan at once, heat to boiling while stirring, and done. Guaranteed to come out lump free every time.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:49 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Don't brown the roux.

I agree with DH8me's good tip, Wondra is a good option for the beginner.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:51 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
bechemel does not get browned or carmelized, so put your cold milk into a bowl. Add the flour, salt and pepper and wisk until it is all smooth. If there are lumps, press them gently and they will break apart easily. There should be no lumps if you use a whisk to mix it.

Now, after it is mixed, pour it into a pan and cook on medium low heat, stirring constantly and scraping every inch of the bottom of the pan so it doesn't burn. When it thickens up it is done.

Forget about that whole business of melting the butter and getting it absorbed into the flour. If butter flavor is absolutely necessary, add a pat of butter to the dish just before serving.

I get a very good white sauce with 2% milk, but you can use whole milk or 1/2 and 1/2 if you need a richer sauce, which most recipes do not need.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
systems glitch, posted note twice.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:55 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
And keep in mind that bechemel is a starting point. Very few cooks sauce their food with straight bech. It's rather bland. Basically, it's a blank sauce canvas. It's considered one of the mother sauces of classic cuisine.

Add more cream and herbs and then strain for a cream sauce. Add cheese for sauce mornay. Add mustard for mustard sauce. Add pureed, sauteed onions for sauce soubise. Add shellfish for sauce nantua. Add bacon for bacon bech. There are hundreds of combinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink