Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 09:01 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,739,095 times

Advertisements

I store my produce depending on what it is. I keep my potatoes under the sink near the baking pans so it's dark and cool. I keep my onions/shallots/garlic in another cabinet near my pans. I have a triple basket hanging thingie where I keep the rest of the produce like limes, tomatoes etc. Lettuces I buy in bulk so I just buy enough for that night dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 04:20 PM

20,855 posts, read 28,185,423 times
I keep all produce in the fridge except bananas , I even keep onions and garlic in the fridge. If I buy a cantaloupe I keep it on the counter a day or two before cutting it up, then it goes in the fridge.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:49 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,727,700 times
Potatoes - in a cabinet, nice and dark.

Apples, Oranges, Limes, Lemons, and less perishable fruit - fruit basket on the counter, reminds me to eat more fruit. (I keep the overflow in the fridge)

Veggies - crisper drawer

I usually don't buy much produce at a time, I work within walking distance of a Whole Foods and a nice little organic produce market so I often zip over and pick up produce on my lunch hour or on my way home.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:12 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,294,976 times
I think the biggest mistake people make with produce is putting tomatoes in the refrigerator. It ruins their taste!

Seriously!

They are kept cool, but not refrigerated at the grocery store. The boxes they are shipped in say "Do not refrigerate!" and sometimes "Refrigeration ruins the flavor!"

But in spite of that, a lot of people I know seem oblivious to the fact and just dump their tomatoes in the fridge, ignoring the fact that tomatoes have more flavor at room temperature, and that refrigerating them permanently changes their flavor... for the worse.

I only put tomatoes in the fridge if they are on the edge of going overripe and I can't use them right away, or if I have cut a few slices of a big beefsteak tomato for sandwiches and want to keep the rest for another day.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:13 PM

61,231 posts, read 86,123,788 times
oh... I have whole system when it comes to store fresh produce. Those are the most popular:
- apples sealed and stored separately ( they produce ethylene gas )
- bananas, separated, way away from any other produce for the same reason ^^^
- tomatoes in cool, dry place, connected to the vine. They hate refrigerator!
- potatoes, cool dry place, away from onions!
- lettuce, washed and wrapped in paper towel, stored in a paper bag. Refrigerated( crisper)
- garlic, I separate the cloves - they last longer that way
- celery, washed, wrapped in paper towel, then in an aluminium foil, in the fridge (crisper)
- carrots, cut the green ends, wash, wrap in paper towel, then put in plastic zip. Also store in crisper.
- mushroom, unwashed, in paper bag and crisper.
- avocados, on the counter top till ripe, then in a paper bag in a crisper.
- bell pepper, use as needed then clean the rest, wash, and freeze.
- citrus fruit on the counter top, on a table platter, as a reminder to eat!

If I missed anything, here is a cheat sheet, you can print it out and hang it in your pantry/fridge.
http://gardenfrugal.com/wp-content/u...oreproduce.png

Last edited by elnina; 05-31-2013 at 05:21 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 08:03 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,194,682 times
Everything in fridge except bananas as lubby said

Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,247,455 times
I like cold fruit, so all fruit but bananas are kept in the fridge. Lettuce, cucumbers, scallions, etc. - fridge, in the crisper. Tomatoes out. Potatoes and onions in the "kitchen", on the floor in an opaque reusable shopping bag. Garlic on the shelf - I use it up pretty fast.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:53 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,101,125 times
Everything in fridge except:
Tomatoes (except maybe romas or tomatoes I'm going to use for cooking.)
Bananas.
Cantaloupe or melon.
Potatoes and onions.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:27 PM

37,055 posts, read 42,009,908 times
I have a closet pantry with some baskets for storing potatoes, onions, and such. Grab and go fruits (apple, peach, orange, banana, etc) are kept on the counter and sometimes in a decorative bowl. This like berries are kept in the refrigerator.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,653,849 times
I only buy what I'm planning on consuming in the next few days, because I live in walking distance to a produce store and two supermarkets. Bananas I buy enough for the whole week. They're ALWAYS green, I hate it, no matter where I get them from. Drives me nuts. They go on the counter, with one in a paper bag to ripen for the next day.

Tomatoes go on the counter until they're fully ripe (as in - one more day and they'll get mushy), or until they've been cut. Once they're fully ripe or been cut, they go in the fridge. Cut ones with saran, whole ones as is.

I buy Olivia's organic greens, they come pre-washed, ready to serve, in a sturdy plastic container. They go in the fridge.

Fruits always go on the counter til I either eat them, cut them, or toss them. If I cut a grapefruit in half, the other half goes on a plate, covered with saran, in the fridge.

Oddly, lemons and limes I keep out on a small teacup plate, even after I've cut them. It's a hold-over from my grandmother, who always kept a wedge of lemon out for her tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink