Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
I do enjoy Oreos. I prefer them to one of their corporate siblings, Chips Ahoy. Since my childhood though, my tastes have become a bit more grown-up, so I really like the Pepperidge Farm Milano Cookies as an alternative to the Oreos.
Pepperidge Farm is one of the few mass-produced cookies that for the most part, avoids the vaguely chemical-ish, preservative-laden, "came off a huge assembly line" flavor, somehow. I know they're just as megaprocessed as other cookies, but somehow, they retain better flavor than the Oreos, Chips Ahoys, etc. Milanos are probably my least favorite...I like the jam thumprint ones and the chessmen butter cookies...they tend to taste like they're made with butter, vs. a laundry list of various oils (although it's probably all artificial flavoring, anyway). Milanos never did it for me, though. Too crumbly, not very rich.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:15 AM

747 posts, read 1,682,188 times
OMG the people that hate oreos must not like friend chicken on a sunday. I don't see how anyone could possibly hate a oreo. Shoot I grew up on Oreos and Chips Ahoy cookies. Nothing better then a cookie dunked in milk!

Old 06-08-2013, 01:32 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20
Everyone seems to just love Oreos
Not me!!!

I loved them in the early 80s BEFORE THEY ADDED SOME STUPID PRESERVATIVE TO THIER SHELL AND THEY BECAME DISGUSTING!!!!!! (And now they also have gone to unbleached flour which makes them even worse)

Old 06-08-2013, 03:04 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
they are good as a treat in a blender of milk, coffee ice cream and kahlua

Old 06-08-2013, 10:00 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Pepperidge Farm is one of the few mass-produced cookies that for the most part, avoids the vaguely chemical-ish, preservative-laden, "came off a huge assembly line" flavor, somehow. I know they're just as megaprocessed as other cookies, but somehow, they retain better flavor than the Oreos, Chips Ahoys, etc. Milanos are probably my least favorite...I like the jam thumprint ones and the chessmen butter cookies...they tend to taste like they're made with butter, vs. a laundry list of various oils (although it's probably all artificial flavoring, anyway). Milanos never did it for me, though. Too crumbly, not very rich.
Agree about Pepperidge Farm cookies.

I like the Bordeaux, they have a caramelized sugar flavor I like, though they're dry as heck.

Just wish these cookies (and other sweets) were made more often with milk chocolate,
rather than with dark chocolate.
I know dark choc. is the healthy/trendy thing now, but I really dislike "semi-sweet"/dark choc.
I find it sour-tasting (that's just my taste buds, one person's personal preference) &
would much rather plain old regular chocolate (for chips in or coatings on cookies).

To me, Oreos (the cookie part on outside) don't taste chocolate-y, and I find the texture gritty/grainy.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:05 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Some of those wafer cookies from Eastern Europe and Austria are good, sort of cross btw a cookie and candy.
I buy stroopwafels, the European wafer cookies with layer of caramel inside-they are indescribably addictive (to me).

Old 06-08-2013, 10:27 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect it is possible that the quality has gone done, just like many other products. Ingredients cheapened up to try to keep the price down.
I don't know as I haven't one in decades but, you're probably right.

I tolerated them as a child. If we had Oreos I would eat them. I've never really liked them.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:45 AM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Weren't Hydrox first? I think Oreo copied Hydrox and just became more popular.
Yes, they were. And they were better than Oreos, IMHO. I miss them. Oreos are just . . . meh.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
OMG the people that hate oreos must not like friend chicken on a sunday. I don't see how anyone could possibly hate a oreo. Shoot I grew up on Oreos and Chips Ahoy cookies. Nothing better then a cookie dunked in milk!
For a few of us even though we didnt mind an occasional Oreo cookie diabetes and obesity have forced an end to the eating of Oreo cookies and any other cookie for that matter.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:46 AM

747 posts, read 1,682,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For a few of us even though we didnt mind an occasional Oreo cookie diabetes and obesity have forced an end to the eating of Oreo cookies and any other cookie for that matter.
I don't eat cookies anymore either, nor any sugary product or meat or caffeine. However I don't HATE the foods I no longer eat. I simply just don't eat them because i'm enjoying my new size 12 more then my old size 26 that I once was. I don't hate the foods I no longer eat with the exception of meat. I have fond memories of most things I used to eat and one day may go back to enjoying them, just not right now. I just can't understand how anyone can hate something that I remember being so yummy! Ahhh a cold glass of milk and a oreo cookie (or any cookie for that matter)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink