Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:20 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times

Advertisements

Hey we even eat steak tartare - which is raw. No cooking at ALL.
(And was first called steak à l'Americaine)

Old 06-14-2013, 01:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Thank you! In the movies always just barbecue. So I do wonder how it really is. This is the same as the Americans think that we all drink vodka. But, in fact, beer and wine is preferable in Russia.. Why Americans prefer (if chicken) white meat? It is dry and mene tasty.
I think more and more people are going back to the days when we ate the entire chicken. White meat is lower in fat so a lot of people switched, but I see more and more recipes for using legs and thighs. We have always used the entire chicken. Breast meat is good for certain dishes, but tonight we are having chicken thighs. One of our favorite chicken dishes is the entire quarter (leg and thigh) over rice and baked for about an hour.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
I think you are great cook! Gas grill? This means that you cook on the fire? kebobs? This is not a shashlik. kebobs is made ​​from minced meat (as far as I know), or am I wrong? So you, too, barbecue soaked in marinade (sauce - salt, pepper, spices, onions, vinegar or lemon
Normally I think of Kabobs as using cubed meat. The only time I have seen minced or ground was on a cruise ship once. They served lamb kabobs using ground lamb. I thought that was strange, but maybe you are right. Maybe in other countries that is how they do Kabobs. I know beef stroganoff, in Russia was beets in it. Here people think that's crazy.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Barbecue (also known as BBQ, Bar-B-Q and others) is a very general term that means very different things to different people, and which is represented by 5 completely different major regional styles, each with multiple variations. In the state of North Carolina alone experts denote three distinct regions with different barbecue traditions. And people everywhere are passionate about the superiority of their own local style.

So barbecue can be pork, beef, chicken, mutton, goat, turkey, and so on. Today the term is even used to include vegetables, like eggplant and squash. And it can involve cooking whole animals, large cuts, individual cuts, thin strips, ground meat, meat on a skewer. And the food can be marinated or not, slathered with sauce or not, rubbed with dry spices or not. And it can be cooked over wood fire or hot coals or gas flames or charcoal. And it can be a very quick process, like "blue rare" steaks over a hot fire, done in minutes, or a very slow process, like a 12 hour roast over very low heat. They're all considered "barbecue" to some people.

So what is the common denominator for such a wide range of variations? For the answer, I point to the Mexican origin of the word, barbacoa, which came up through Texas, and which itself came from the original word barabicu from natives of the Carribean and South Florida. And that was the name of the grate the food was cooked on. Originally a wooden grate used in pit cooking, later a metal grate over open flames, the distinguishing feature was that it did not use a pot or pan. The food is exposed to the flame either directly or indirectly on some kind of a grate.

Now I'm hungry!

Old 06-14-2013, 03:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
What makes Texas BBQ different (and there will inevitably be BBQ wars started up because Texas being as big as it is, there's even regional differences in BBQ within the state) is not the sauces, because in most parts of Texas while sauce is available, meat that needs it is considered not to have been BBQ'd well. It's all about the meat and how it's prepared.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:06 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,616,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Some cooks put the sauce on the meat while it is cooking and other only serve sauce after it is cooked.
Never had mutton in my life and probably won't either!

Here commercial or restaurant BBQ is cooked slowly (all day or all night) in an enclosed oven using specialty woods.At home we can cook it on the grill or in the oven. Google How to Cook BBQ and you will see lots of supplies as well as recipes and videos.

In the northern part of USA BBQ is a verb as in "Come to my house and we will BBQ". But in the South BBQ is a noun as in "Come to my house and we will eat BBQ". We "cook out" in the South but others BBQ outside. Very confusing sometimes even here.
In a closed oven? That means that barbecue koptyat.Spasibo for informants. Interesting.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Yeah, gas grill, so over a flame.

Sorry, I use words loosely, it can be confusing for others. I call meat and vegetables on a stick kebobs...any meat, just needs to be cut into smaller pieces. You are probably more right about what a kebob is.

I also say I am barbequeing when I am grilling. I also never use BBQ sauces. In the midwest it is common to say "We are barbequeing" when we are really just grilling. But, if we "go out for barbeque" we are going to a restaurant that serves the type of BBQ everyone talks about with meats and sauces.

I had shashlik a couple of times at friend's dacha about 20 years ago (I visited Russia about 5 times, but not for years). Soemthing I won't forget, I also had pickled watermelon with shashlik, haven't had it since. Where I visited, they pickled everything.
In what city ( Russian) were? kebob is shashlik. I have here the question differs in taste. I was cooking and barbecue (grilled) and a steak (the fire). But I always wondered how to cook it really in America. The restaurant? I have heard that this is common in the U.S. (barbecue restaurant) This is probably similar to our shashlik (cafe-shashlik) But I think it should be on the nature or the backyard of his home..

Old 06-14-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
If you did that, it wouldn't be a BBQ now, would it?
I have not asked correctly. I'm sorry! I talked about the marinade.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where are you getting the idea we only bar b cue? We use our slow cookers, we use our ovens, we deep fry and sautee as well as just plain frying our meats. I am no different from most people I don't think and here is what we have had this week: Monday night: yes, grilled steaks: Tues night: chicken brats with peppers and marinara sauce over pasta, Wed night: home made Chinese food and last night: Salmon. tonight we are having chicken thighs over noodles. Does that sound like we only barbecue? Some people do use their grills more than others and in the warm summer months we like to keep the heat out of the kitchen, but certainly we do not grill all the time.
I had to explain. I talked about cooking on the fire. (nature, backyard)

Old 06-14-2013, 05:37 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
My favorite kebab is lamb marinated in red wine vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil. My favorite chicken is thighs and wings. I prefer charcoal to gas for grilling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink