Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:19 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out what to serve about 15 ladies from my book club. I've sort of settled on these items, but will need more:
Bruschetta - fig jam, goat cheese and prosciutto
tomato, mozzarella (homemade if I have time) and fresh basil
Roasted red pepper, marinated in oil,garlic and balsamic vinegar, goat cheese

Mini quiche - two flavors (store bought)

Desert (store bought)
Maybe some guacamole and chips (I make a very good guacamole and avocados are in season)???

Maybe some vegies and dip??? Maybe some hummus????

Chicken salad????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 02:10 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
You don't see much of these around anymore but what about finger sandwiches. I wish people would make
them more often. I make the benedictine spread (grated cucumbers, onions and cream cheese) on french bread
or cream cheese with ham & tomato slices.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
You don't see much of these around anymore but what about finger sandwiches. I wish people would make
them more often. I make the benedictine spread (grated cucumbers, onions and cream cheese) on french bread
or cream cheese with ham & tomato slices.
I have a favorite and this is just sorta the recipe, I can give you the real one if you decide you would like it.

2 cans of Crescent rolls.
1 8 oz cream cheese-room temp
1 cup of mayo
1 pk of ranch dressing
2 to 3 cups of diced raw veggies. I use things that add color: olive, radishes, green onions, peppers, etc. I am thinking I have left something out, but maybe not.

press the crescent rolls into a 8 by 14 dish or about that size. bake until slightly browned.
mix together the other ingredients, spread on top of crescent rolls after they have cooled. Place in fridge for min of 4 hours. Overnight is best. Cut into very small pieces and serve. This is simple and always a huge hit. You can adjust according to your tastes; maybe add hot sauce or jalapenos, maybe top with shredded cheese, whatever you want.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:29 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm trying to figure out what to serve about 15 ladies from my book club. I've sort of settled on these items, but will need more:
Bruschetta - fig jam, goat cheese and prosciutto
tomato, mozzarella (homemade if I have time) and fresh basil
Roasted red pepper, marinated in oil,garlic and balsamic vinegar, goat cheese

Mini quiche - two flavors (store bought)

Desert (store bought)
Maybe some guacamole and chips (I make a very good guacamole and avocados are in season)???

Maybe some vegies and dip??? Maybe some hummus????

Chicken salad????
Can I get invited to your book club meeting?

OK some other ideas:
Olives, good ones not canned.
Dolmades (stuffed grape leaves.)
Those little ham and cream cheese roll-ups with a caper in the center. I've never made them but I pig out if they're at a potluck.
Sushi.
Several different sorts of cheese, with crackers (mmmm sesAme crackers.)

I also like both the guac and the hummus, or baba ganoush, ideas.
You could also google tapas - Spanish appetizers.
Tapas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-16-2013, 04:02 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Bacon-wrapped items impaled with a toothpick are always popular. Wrapped around oysters they're called Angels on Horseback; around dried fruit Devils on Horseback; around chicken livers I don't know the name but it's a long time favorite.

Additionally, these are easy for people to eat without greasy fingers.

Devils on horseback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Angels on horseback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-16-2013, 04:49 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
deviled eggs
mini chicken salad/tuna salad sandwiches
crab meat salad
Fruit and cheese platter

Old 06-16-2013, 05:54 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
You say it is afternoon. Is it meant to replace lunch or dinner? It sounds as if you are really going big, when Afternoon Book Club sounds to me like tea, coffee, dessert and maybe punch.

Otherwise, you could make little sweet potato biscuits with ham.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:23 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
I would do the hummus with carrot slices (cut large carrots crosswise for carrot "crackers") and also do a small bowl of cornichons or baby gherkin pickles.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
I think your menu is great, you will likely find what you have listed as way more food than you need. But I think some gougeres and maybe an olive and artichoke crostini would fit in nicely.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You say it is afternoon. Is it meant to replace lunch or dinner? It sounds as if you are really going big, when Afternoon Book Club sounds to me like tea, coffee, dessert and maybe punch.

Otherwise, you could make little sweet potato biscuits with ham.
This crew tends to factor food into everything - one of the reasons I like it. They start at 1PM. So yes, they do go heavier on the food, probably replacing lunch for many.

Sweet potato biscuits? I've never heard of them - but now that I'm living in North Carolina, it' seems like something I should try. Recipe, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink