U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:13 PM

109 posts, read 243,451 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I absolutely suck at cooking, and I want somewhere to start. My rice is always either too soft or too hard. I would like to invest in a rice cooker. Family members have raved about them. Which rice cooker do you prefer?

I am also interested in other types of appliances where I could magically cook spaghetti/curry sauces.

I am a computer guy, so anything gadgety to help make my food come out perfect every time would be awesome.. ahh.. the future.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 01:29 AM

12,971 posts, read 25,309,916 times
Well, for a technogeeky computer guy, what could be better than a fuzzy logic computerized rice cooker that works out the variables of different kinds of rice and quantity and so on to give perfect rice every time? Amazon carries several models, and Bed Bath & Beyond carries a couple. Take a look at the Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5-1/2-Cup (Uncooked) Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer, Premium White for $165.21.

Amazon.com: Steamers & Rice Cookers - Zojirushi

Or you could get a basic, plain vanilla automatic rice cooker for about $14 at Walmart. Works fairly well.

Rival 6-Cup Rice Cooker - Walmart.com

But the Zojirushi would be a LOT more fun for you!

Old 06-17-2013, 03:34 AM

Thanks! I'll take a look.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 AM

38 posts, read 37,907 times
You can buy Bajaj cookers they are available in best sizes and reliable too.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 AM

As far as I can tell, Bajaj cookers from India are not sold in the USA.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:03 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,686,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriV E uhM View Post
Hey guys. I absolutely suck at cooking, and I want somewhere to start. My rice is always either too soft or too hard. I would like to invest in a rice cooker. Family members have raved about them. Which rice cooker do you prefer?

I am also interested in other types of appliances where I could magically cook spaghetti/curry sauces.

I am a computer guy, so anything gadgety to help make my food come out perfect every time would be awesome.. ahh.. the future.
from my experience and those around me, almost any basic rice cooker will do the same and they are not pricey. I would try one of the box stores, maybe WalMart. We do order on line a lot, usually from Amazon. The one I just tossed was close to 20 years old, at least. It was my dad's and he has been dead for almost 14 years. Knowing my father, and more, my step mom, I am sure it was not an expensive one, but it did the job.

As for cooking sauces, why not get a very small slow cooker? I use my 1/5 qt and my 2 Qt one for sauces all the time. Then I freeze any left over sauce in small containers for future use. Of course, depending on how many people you are feeding, there may not be a lot of left overs.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,700,272 times
Quote:

I think we use the Aroma brand, I'll check tonight. We use it about 3-4X a week. Super easy to use and consistent rice.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:43 AM

6,530 posts, read 4,387,826 times
Just bought a Zojirushi through amazon.com and love it.

I bought it to make not only various types of rice and rice blends, but also whole grains.

I tried a mixture of many whole grains (sold in small bags called Bob's, available at amazon.com, I think, but also at vitacost.com and grocery stores) and it came out extremely well.

Also did barley alone, and it came out very well.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:32 PM

Do these cookers come with manuals? How about a measuring device, so I know how much rice per water I should put? Also, what a slow cooker make spaghetti? I am a tech geek but baffled at this technology.. where has it been all my life!!?? I am going to surprise the wife hehe. I will be a very happy man soon.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Do these cookers come with manuals?
Sure. But the $14 ones are very short, because they are so simple to use.

The computerized ones are simple to use, but are longer because of all the available options.

Quote:
How about a measuring device, so I know how much rice per water I should put?
Yes, and it's very simple. The fuzzy logic models can even adjust their program appropriately if you're somewhat sloppy with your measurements.

Quote:
Also, what a slow cooker make spaghetti?
Spaghetti SAUCE, not spaghetti. For the pasta itself you only need a pot of boiling water, a timer, and a colander or sieve to drain the water off when it's done cooking... which takes only around 10 minutes for dried noodles, less for the moist kind.

And the sauce CAN be made from scratch in almost any kind of pot in as little as... say... 30 minutes, a lot of recipes benefit in taste from all day slow simmering. Basically you just dump in the ingredients, stir occasionally, eat when ready. And there are many recipes for stews, pot roasts, soups, all kinds of things that a slow cooker (aka crockpot) can be used for. It's very simple tech... basically just a ceramic pot, a heating element, and a simple control for setting heat level.

Quote:
I am a tech geek but baffled at this technology.. where has it been all my life!!??
I hate to tell you, but it's always been here... you just weren't paying attention.

Quote:
I am going to surprise the wife hehe. I will be a very happy man soon.
Start simple. I suggest you begin with fresh pasta sauce from the supermarket cooler that you will only have to heat up, and cooking the pasta. Getting those coordinated... serve with a nice salad... will possibly be a little more challenging than you might expect... and then if you do that, it'll give you some momentum and confidence. Then you can step up to making sauce from scratch.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink