Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,602,741 times

Advertisements

Yum!!!

"Benne Seed Chicken 'N Waffles: Fried Boneless Breast of Chicken Pieces & a Honey Mustard Aioli Drizzle on White Cheddar Green Onion Waffles with Peppadew-Jalapeno Butter, dusted with Cajun Spice."

Miss Shirley's Cafe - Baltimore's Best Breakfast, Brunch and Lunch - Breakfast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM

513 posts, read 736,457 times
Default ^^^ with apologies to Miss Shirley

these combinations remind me of a friend who when asked if he wanted to try something he didn't like, replied "No thanks, I just had a bar of soap." Smart-alecky, but it got the message across.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:53 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,602,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
these combinations remind me of a friend who when asked if he wanted to try something he didn't like, replied "No thanks, I just had a bar of soap." Smart-alecky, but it got the message across.
More for the rest of us.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
I was the same way. I totally didn't get it. I mean I understand the whole clubbin rationalization but these restaurants seem packed all the time with mostly black family units - not just twenty somethings at 2 am Sunday morning.

I tried to rationalize it by having bacon or sausage along with a waffle and some of the syrup getting on the meat, but I couldn't understand why chicken was so important and how a whole restaurant could be based on it. And why you'd want it so badly and so specifically outside of breakfast per se. When I eat fried chicken for lunch or dinner, I prefer a buttery salty biscuit. Not a sweet one.

Still haven't tried it and I'm in no rush. But I'll at least check if Waffle House offers it.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
A restaurant called, "Chicken and Waffles" opened several years ago near my office. I thought it sounded terrible.

The building where it was located had been the home of several failed restaurants. Not a good thing.
But Chicken and Waffles was an immediate success. It became very popular not just in the area but people actually traveled from the suburbs and other towns to dine there. It was featured on the local news too. Highly rated on Yelp and Urbanspoon too.

Often when I tell people where my office is located they mention Chicken and Waffles. I haven't ever been there and don't have any plans to try it.
It is good that the owners went out of their way to find an original restaurant name.

Never tried chicken & waffles together; I would try it if it were free. Or maybe we could just coat the chicken in waffle batter and fry? That'd be easier.

(After thinking about this for a while, I now remember that it takes a good while to deep fry chicken... you would have to fry the chicken until done basically and then coat with waffle batter and re-fry)

Old 06-19-2013, 11:18 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,227 times
Also, inject the chicken with maple syrup? Yesssss.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:21 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,178 times
I'd try a bite. I don't know of any restaurants where I live that has this on their menu but I have a friend who raves about a place in Oakland. Too much of a drive for me though for a bite. I'm not a big fan of waffles or maple syrup really, but I'd try a bit if someone else ordered it. I do get the sweet/savory thing. I'd try it just to have tried it!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
I've never had it, but it sounds DELICIOUS. In my culture (caribbean), we often eat sweet foods and savory foods together. For example, pumpkin fritters and fish. I LOVE the taste. I imagine you'd eat the waffles and chicken together with syrup? If you mushed them all together, I think it sounds yummy...but faaatttenning. Crispy, sweet, savory, starchy and meaty all together. Mmmm

Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
A restaurant called, "Chicken and Waffles" opened several years ago near my office. I thought it sounded terrible.

The building where it was located had been the home of several failed restaurants. Not a good thing.
But Chicken and Waffles was an immediate success. It became very popular not just in the area but people actually traveled from the suburbs and other towns to dine there. It was featured on the local news too. Highly rated on Yelp and Urbanspoon too.

Often when I tell people where my office is located they mention Chicken and Waffles. I haven't ever been there and don't have any plans to try it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I was the same way. I totally didn't get it. I mean I understand the whole clubbin rationalization but these restaurants seem packed all the time with mostly black family units - not just twenty somethings at 2 am Sunday morning.

I tried to rationalize it by having bacon or sausage along with a waffle and some of the syrup getting on the meat, but I couldn't understand why chicken was so important and how a whole restaurant could be based on it. And why you'd want it so badly and so specifically outside of breakfast per se. When I eat fried chicken for lunch or dinner, I prefer a buttery salty biscuit. Not a sweet one.

Still haven't tried it and I'm in no rush. But I'll at least check if Waffle House offers it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
It is good that the owners went out of their way to find an original restaurant name.

Never tried chicken & waffles together; I would try it if it were free. Or maybe we could just coat the chicken in waffle batter and fry? That'd be easier.

(After thinking about this for a while, I now remember that it takes a good while to deep fry chicken... you would have to fry the chicken until done basically and then coat with waffle batter and re-fry)
I think it's pretty funny that there's apparently a place called just "Waffle House"! Then again, if there's International House of Pancakes, why not?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
All of a sudden all I hear is "chicken & waffles" and I'm confused.

Are the chicken and waffles supposed to be eaten together.. as in a bit of each in the same bite? Is there still butter and syrup involved? If they are eaten separately then I don't get how they are 'good together' any more than any other two random things I find in my fridge or might decide to make. I mean, what's the difference between chicken and waffles vs chicken and pancakes, steak and grits, potato and fish sticks..?

I am just not understanding something here. I like chicken, and I like waffles.. but if it's just a matter of getting both on a plate together then why so popular? I could maybe see the appeal of, say, fried chicken *strips*, no bone, folded up in a waffle but everytime I see this offered or read about it, the chicken is bone-in (fried)... obviously you cannot make some sort of waffle sandwich that way. I've even heard people refer to the dish as "chi-waffle" which would imply some sort of both-foods-in-one-bite experience, right? Or not?

Someone please enlighten me. I tried a Google search and found this article where even the owner of a restaurant that serves this dish doesn't "get it" either.
"Eventually, Ina and I got around to the waffle. I tried it with the honey, tried it with the syrup. Not bad, but I still didn't see the point, and I could tell that Ina felt the same way. When she picked a piece of waffle up, she had a resigned expression on her face that said Guess I'll eat this, too."

How to eat chicken and waffles - Time Out Chicago

You aren't missing anything. You have it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink