Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:41 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times

Advertisements

The height of the seat in a booth is built to be proportional to its table, whereas open tables often have chairs that are too low for the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 05:55 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,365,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The height of the seat in a booth is built to be proportional to its table, whereas open tables often have chairs that are too low for the table.
Somewhat along these^ lines:
my aunt says she needs back support, so she chooses where to sit based on that.

I would add-and this isn't the reason many people might want a booth, it's just one of those "invisible" factors that people might not be conscious of-
booth seating doesn't make noise, compared with the potential for scratching sound of chairs (of legs/feet on floor) being moved.
Trivial ? Sure, but some folks (such as me) loathe scratching/scraping noise of chairs on hard floor & thus would select a booth if given the option.

That's in addition to other reasons already listed here,
such as the greater sound-dampening/buffeting qualities of a more enclosed booth space,
and booths being sturdier/providing more ample seating room.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:58 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I think booths are more comfortable and more private. I don't think it is generational. We have a local restaurant that has small booths (for two) that are kind of circular with high tufted backs to give more privacy and they are the first tables booked by all ages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I'll second this^^.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
Booths are more cozy and private. I much prefer sitting in a booth when I have the choice to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Booths are also generally along walls on the perimeter of the space, so you don't have people milling around you like you sometimes do when you are at a table out in the middle of the space. It's a little more relaxing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Tables are often too close together. Booths are more private. <snip>.
I agree that it is a matter of comfort and a sense of privacy and not having the wait staff and/or customers moving around and over you.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 06-22-2013, 05:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
More cozy, more private, won't get hit in the head or jostled, more comfy...

My dad prefers tables. He says it's better for posture and manners.

Doesn't matter now. With the baby seat we have to bring (straps to any chair), we have to sit at tables (or at best, half table/half booth).

Old 06-22-2013, 11:29 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
I've never given any thought to why, but I too prefer a booth when dining out. Maybe it is all the reasons folks have posted already, ie, more comfortable, more private, easier to talk across the booth with each other, etc. I think the privacy thing is the biggest reason for me, now that I think about it. When you are at a table you have activity all around you on all sides. In a booth you are tucked away where it is quieter and cozier.

Interesting question though.

Don

Old 06-22-2013, 11:37 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Booth. Tables suck.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:47 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
If I sit at a booth I won't have to worry about someone's bum brushing across the back of me 'ead.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
I do NOT like to sit at tables because I get really tired of the waitstaff and other diners bumping my chair the entire meal. I find it to be really disruptive to my enjoyment of the meal.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,448,725 times
And now for the opposite opinion.

I want a table, not a booth , and that's what I ask for.

Why ?

Simple..... I can position my chair as far away from the table as I want it. In a booth, with a fixed to the floor table, I can't do that. Did I mention that I'm over six feet tall and weight 250 ? If I am going to be comfortable, I need some room, as I am eating.

As for the complaints about staff moving around, how else are they going to deliver your food to you ?

A final point...........Managers should be told about the screeching noise that chairs make, as their staff drag them over the floor. I point this out, by saying " Can't they lift the chairs, instead ? " One of the solutions that I have seen a few times, was to place felt pads on the ends of the chair legs, with crazy glue, voila, no more noise.

Jim b

Toronto.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,088,778 times
The chairs at most tables hurt my legs....guess my legs are too short....thus I assume I could say a booth is more comfortable besides being more private. And I hate it when people pull out their chair at the next table and then I can't move and if I want to move, the person in back of me gets ticked off. sigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink