Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:57 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,033,635 times

Advertisements

I've been tempted to go for this dish at several seafood restaurants but always end up going for something else as i have visions of it tasting like a mouthful of unshelled shrimp with lots of guts.. Anyone want to give a try at describing the eating of these things? Do you eat the whole thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:24 PM

19,374 posts, read 27,608,456 times
Yes, you eat the whole thing. But the shells are very thin. More like a crispy crust than a shell. when cooked properly and when they are fresh, when you bite in to them, they sort of pop in your mouth.

The taste is similar to regular blue crab because, after all, that's all they are - Blue crab that is molting so it has almost no shell.

Seafood restaurants will put a bit of flour on them, then sautee them in butter and maybe a little garlic and lemon. That's my favorite way to have them, but only if they are fresh. And they are not difficult to cook at home, which would save you some money if you don't like them. Some restaurants will grill or broil them, but I always think they turn out tough that way.

If they have been frozen, you're better off going to the nearest Japanese restaurant and ordering them there. They will cook them tempura style or deep fry with a heavier coating of flour. This is the only way my husband likes them.

Good Article: Soft Shell Crabs: How They Differ From Crabs

Old 07-08-2013, 05:33 PM

3,603 posts, read 9,020,386 times
We just got off a soft shell crab bender at my house. I dredge them in corn meal seasoned with chili powder and sauté them in grapeseed oil, then make a homemade aioli to dip them in. The shells are very thin, much less than a shrimp shell and the meat is sweet. Most sushi places will have a spider roll if you want to give that a try rather than eating it whole.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:30 PM

50,038 posts, read 63,384,408 times
What I don't understand is aren't you eating parts of the crab you wouldn't want to eat otherwise?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,034,909 times
Don't forget - it is called soft shelled crabs because the crab is molting and in order to grow, it needs to shed its hard shell. Yum I want to go on a binge like Dogmama50 described!

Old 07-08-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Don't forget - it is called soft shelled crabs because the crab is molting and in order to grow, it needs to shed its hard shell. Yum I want to go on a binge like Dogmama50 described!
My grocery store mis-priced fresh ones for $2.99 a pound instead of $2.99 each. I bought a dozen and froze them in 4 packs.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What I don't understand is aren't you eating parts of the crab you wouldn't want to eat otherwise?
In a store they are cleaned just like a regular whole crab is. If you happen to catch one yourself you'll have to clean it.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,769,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you get live ones (the best) just remove the gills from under each side of the top shell, the apron (that piece that folds-up under the crab) and the eyes/mouth (face) - and it's ready for cookin'.

The crab gills aren't poisonous - they just don't tast very good. And the other bits are just tough, so you remove them to have a nice tender crab.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:27 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,405,807 times
I assume you are eating their guts since nothing has been said about cleaning them like that? I would still like to try them but I have never seen them offered anywhere around here.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:56 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,555,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I assume you are eating their guts since nothing has been said about cleaning them like that? I would still like to try them but I have never seen them offered anywhere around here.
The apron that is removed before cooking is the guts. The gills are removed because they don't taste good. So you're left with the crabmeat that would usually be picked out of a cooked hard crab and the paper-thin soft shell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink