Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting article about sweet potatoes and North Carolina's production of this wonderful food.
made me wonder how often folks around the rest of the country (world?) eat sweet potatoes? I grew up eating the sugary marshmallow concoction at holiday meals but as an adult I started feeding my babies cooked sweet potatoes as soon as they could eat solids. It is a greart diet food - as long as it isn't drowned in butter or syrup and I'm happy to learn of new recipes for sweet potatoe. I enjoy a baked one especially in the winter for lunch.

How often do you serve sweet potatoes to your family and what do you do with yours?

CHADBOURN: Made in NC: New uses for an old standby – the sweet potato | Local/State | NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 12:44 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
I buy one a week for my husband. The rest of us don't like it as it's too sweet. I just roast his till tender.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:47 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
Once a year, maybe. My wife doesn't really like them and I am indifferent toward them. I'll buy them once in a blue moon for a change from rice or regular potatoes.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:57 PM

808 posts, read 1,878,516 times
Growing up sweet potato fries were something of a novelty but nowadays it seems like every burger bar or sports grill offers it as a side option. Personally I still prefer regular fries but maybe once every 3 or 4 times I'll get the sweet potato kind.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:22 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Often, especially in winter! Then a few times per week.

Over-roasted in slices and sprinkled with olive oil and spice.
In casserole with onion and a little bit of sausage.
Added to stews and soups.
Mashed.
In vegetable curry.
With Ethiopian berbere spice mix.
I have also had amazing sweet potato pies but have never baked it myself this way. I prefer sweet potato pie to pumpkin pie, though.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:35 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
I eat them maybe once a month. I know some people who love them, though, and who eat them several times a week.

They're also a bit trendy - all the restaurants seem to have sweet potato fries these days!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
We usually have sweet potatoes about two or three times a week, usually roasted. Growing up, my grandmother would roast quite a few and we would eat them cold as snacks. While I have had them in casseroles, that was never my favorite way since I had never had them like that until I was an adult.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
What an interesting thread! I grew up with a buttery sugary sweet potato casserole at every holiday dinner - except Easter. As least in the North, it was thought of as a winter and holiday food.

While I still make a well loved version of the Sweet Potato Casserole that so many of us remember in it's many permutations, who grew up in mid Century America, now we eat it more often!

How often? I'd say it shows up about once a week in our house hold. In the winter, we still have it more often, usually baked and sometimes served as the main dish with other vegetables. We all love mustard greens sauteed and brown rice pilaf with sliced baked sweet potato drizzled with olive oil and herbs.

My daughter likes it for lunch with a scoop of cottage cheese and some crushed pineapple. It's good!

We also enjoy it on the grill! They are sweet enough, so often we don't add anything sweet but complement it with savory spices.

I also like them mashed with a dash of pumpkin pie seasoning, butter and locally grown maple syrup. YUM!

Have you had sweet potato patties? They are awesome!

Sweet potato soup is an Autumn staple in our home. I also use it in Indian dishes.

It's a high protein, and high vitamin food that is gaining in popularity!

Here's a link that some may find helpful

http://www.health.com/health/gallery...600272,00.html

Last edited by sheena12; 07-15-2013 at 01:49 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 02:33 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I eat them once a week, either mashed, baked or roasted with red onions and balsamic.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
I eat them a lot, although I can't imagine them with marshmallows. Oy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink