Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 01:22 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times

Advertisements

this is nothing new...just another hyped up over-reaction when it comes to anything meat related

if you look on the package it will say "contains up to 3-6% moisture" or something very similar..

where is the more moisture coming from????????????

an extra hot water bath to kill more bacteria - its not being pumped or injected,,,its the opposite

cook your poultry to 165 f you kill all bacteria -
repeat,,for the slow meat haters...if you cook your chicken or turkey to 165 f this will kill any and all bacteria

again
the reason for more moisture is an added precaution(one last scalding) to kill bacteria because everything anti-meat is headline news in the liberal media
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:37 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Ever see the trick stores play with ribs? The top rack will be fairly good looking with lots of meat. What you can't see is the amount of fat on the back side. The biggest trick they do though is the bottom rack will be picked clean, basically soup bones. Lots of fat and bone for the most part.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:39 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I agree with the premise of this thread. Bought a package of four chicken breasts last night. When I took them out of the package and went to throw it away, I was amazed at how heavy the styrofoam tray was because of the pad full of water.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:21 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
well, really? how interesting. Food safety practices re: poultry are not a public health issue? OF COURSE THEY ARE. That's why they are regulated!
"chicken water juice" which is an incubating medium for salmonella and lots of other deadly foodborne illness, is definitely a public health threat, since it's unwieldy and slops around as you are trying to remove the chicken and dispose of the overly watery chicken juice. It gets all over things in the kitchen and your clothes. Then the germs incubate at room temperature, and it can indeed be deadly. It takes a lot of extra cleaning and sanitizing after you have removed chicken parts from one of those big styro trays filled with the chicken microbe incubating medium which has just spilled and splashed on your counters, floor, self, clothes, and sink. Because it's so hard to keep it all contained in that shallow styro as it's a lot of watery germ medium.
Are you not aware that most chicken has already got these illness germs on it, but the only reason it doesn't develop is because we 1) cook the chicken and 2) it's easy to clean up after WITHOUT the water slurry.
definitely a public health issue imo, since it involves millions of people. this is called foresight and prevention. It's a new practice and new issue, it needs to be dealt with and prevented. It would be in the public interest to do so.

Some reference material... Gut Bacteria on 97 Percent of Retail Chicken Breasts | Food Safety News
How the heck do you open a package of chicken? There's liquid all over you and multiple surfaces in the kitchen? I'd be afraid to go in there if you were making scrambled eggs.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
I haven't take the time to read all seven pages of the thread but to avoid this you can buy "whole chicken breast". That is chicken breast that has not been sliced and processed. It does not necessarily have to be organic. Not all meat markets will carry it. If your supermarket only carries prepackaged meats than you are probably out of luck. The stuff I buy has been de-boned but nothing else has been done to it. It should look something like this although the one I buy still has some skin and fat attached.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:15 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree with the premise of this thread. Bought a package of four chicken breasts last night. When I took them out of the package and went to throw it away, I was amazed at how heavy the styrofoam tray was because of the pad full of water.
I know. The cry-o-pack drumsticks, breasts, thighs have no diaper to hold the pool of nasty liquid. So I buy those- typically in Costco and BJ's. grocery stores only sell the foam tray-diaper packages for cut chicken and I have to remember to avoid buying them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink