Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times

Advertisements

Probably the one thing I like that the most people would think disgusting is "Pig Ear Sandwich." Literally a sandwich with a pig ear on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and mayo. I only eat it once a year when I travel through Mississippi. When I was first introduced to it, I too thought "yuck" , but it is actually tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
If this is true, then doesn't it follow that your children (assuming they are biologically yours) would be MORE likely to love brussels sprouts and liver?
There is some sort of genetic thing called "taster" or something like that. I remember doing the experiment in middle school where everyone tasted a piece of paper and certain people thought it tasted awful and most people thought it tasted like regular paper. It's a recessive gene. I can't remember the specifics, but I'm sure you can google them up if you are so inclined.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:15 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Jack in the Box Tacos! So many people think they are gross...but I LOVE them!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:05 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Sushi of any kind
Steak tartare
Brussels sprouts
Lamb
Kelp/nori/seaweed
Bonito
All mushrooms
Liver wurst
Medlars (these are fruits that are bletted, look it up)
Fried elderflowers
Nopales (slimy cactus paddles)
Lima beans
Shellfish of all kinds
Buttermilk
Plain yogurt

Old 07-30-2013, 02:38 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post
Peas.
Peas? Since when peas are weird food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
There is some sort of genetic thing called "taster" or something like that. I remember doing the experiment in middle school where everyone tasted a piece of paper and certain people thought it tasted awful and most people thought it tasted like regular paper. It's a recessive gene. I can't remember the specifics, but I'm sure you can google them up if you are so inclined.
I think it has a lot to do with introducing kids to different foods early in life and don't really let them fuss with it. I noticed that kids from families that love to cook, and love to try cooking different food and also go out to eat ethnic dishes, never commenting them as a yucky or gross... those kids are generally a better eaters later in life.
Kids learn a lot from others - when someone says it's gross, they will repeat it without willing to try it first and make their own mind.
Also in the schools kids make often fun about other kids lunches. If you make your kids immune to such dumb comments, there is a good chance that your kids will be curious and accepting things new to their palate.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 AM

66 posts, read 182,742 times
Unsweetened baking cocoa. I mix so much of in into yogurt cups (used to do it to protein shakes, too) that the stuff becomes thick, brown, and bitter. I am notorious at my dentist's office because it takes a special tool to clean the stains every time I come in.

I also love canned peas and microwave brussels sprouts, since I am a genetic non-bitter taster (someone brought this up, I think). The sprouts are just lightly sweet to me; otherwise completely tasteless and nicely textured.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 AM

1,092 posts, read 832,129 times
@elnina _ the potted meat of which I speak is in a very small can...from the grocer...not the home canned meat. This is a sort of processed sandwich spread. I know!! Gross!! Unhealthy! Is a holdover from my childhood when that & peanut butter was all that I would take to school in lunchbox. Do not eat it vey often because it is so bad for you (salt content, organ meat probably, etc.). But I love it & indulge occasionally. I know of NO ONE besides myself who eats it, but the shelves at the grocer are always almost empty (is located in the section with the Spam, Vienna sausages, etc.) . So, may also be an ethnic thing that I am not aware of.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Peas? Since when peas are weird food?

I think it has a lot to do with introducing kids to different foods early in life and don't really let them fuss with it. I noticed that kids from families that love to cook, and love to try cooking different food and also go out to eat ethnic dishes, never commenting them as a yucky or gross... those kids are generally a better eaters later in life.
Kids learn a lot from others - when someone says it's gross, they will repeat it without willing to try it first and make their own mind.
Also in the schools kids make often fun about other kids lunches. If you make your kids immune to such dumb comments, there is a good chance that your kids will be curious and accepting things new to their palate.
I agree, though I'm the exception to this rule. My mother is a terrible cook. Everything is under-seasoned and overcooked. Our veggies where generally frozen and usually a peas and carrots mix. I asked her once why we never had brussels spouts when I was a kid and her response was "I think I made them once and no one liked them so I never made them again". I learned to love a variety of food, when I taught myself to cook in my early twenties.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:44 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times
Sauerkraut.....I love me some kraut I could an entire container by my self, my wife thinks it's the most repulsive thing ever, even though I doubt she ever had any.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:34 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Sushi or sashimi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink