Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times

Advertisements

I'm a fan of whoever uses rubs only and no sloppy sauces that hide the flavor of the meat. Whoever does that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I'm a fan of whoever uses rubs only and no sloppy sauces that hide the flavor of the meat. Whoever does that.
I'll buy that one as well, but I am ok with putting the sauce on the table to enjoy a little for those who like some. I don't mind a sauce that isn't sweet. We never smoke our meat using sauce, only rubs. I think I prefer the Carolinas to other states, but each state or region has its own version and you can find good and bad anywhere.

no kudzu: I do take exception to your rule on the south and bar BBQue being only pork. I have eaten it all over the south. What you say might have been the original tradition but in the past 10 or 20 years it has changed. Any good restaurant will have several meats slow cooked.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

no kudzu: I do take exception to your rule on the south and bar BBQue being only pork. I have eaten it all over the south. What you say might have been the original tradition but in the past 10 or 20 years it has changed. Any good restaurant will have several meats slow cooked.
OK let's just say Traditional BBQ in the South is pork. If somebody invited me to a big BBQ I would expect whole hog on the fire and would be surprised to see beef- in N.C. at least.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
[quote=jlawrence01;30716903]

WARNING

I have had some really BAD BBQ at some of the big name places when I hit the restaurants at the wrong time. For example, I hit Arthur Bryant's right after opening and had some burnt ends that obviously had been cooked the night before. It was very disappointing. quote]

The problem with so-called "burnt ends" is that you rarely get burnt ends. You mostly get chopped brisket smothered in sauce, billed as burnt ends. Burnt ends were originally a delicacy, and when they became popular, the demand exceeded production, so places took to just chopping up brisket when they had no more of the actual caramelized ends. But when burnt ends are the real deal, they are great.

I feel like the quality of Bryant's meat is on the decline, but their sauce is still my fave...with vinegar-y, peppery bite, not sticky sweet or overly tomatoey - for my money, the best BBQ experience in KC would be a sandwich from Oklahoma Joe's (best meat in the city for BBQ, IMO) topped with Bryant's sauce.

The vast majority of my BBQ experience comes from KC, where the overriding style is that there really is no one style. I enjoy a Carolina-style, too, with its mustard-y, vinegar-y sauce on a pulled pork.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Great BBQ is where you find it! Usually in someone's backyard. Commercial BBQ is never gonna be as good as the best backyard/or competition BBQ as it won't get the individual attention. BBQ varies greatly across the states as well as the definition of the term BBQ. It's all in the mind (or eye or mouth) of the beholder. Some folks even think all the best BBQ joints are located in the same place. Which BBQ? Pork, beef....goat? Best with sauce or without? There is no such thing as the best BBQ. Has anyone here tasted all of them? Of course not. The best BBQ to you is the one you like best.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
OK let's just say Traditional BBQ in the South is pork. If somebody invited me to a big BBQ I would expect whole hog on the fire and would be surprised to see beef- in N.C. at least.
and that is probably about right. It is like asking someone in NM what chili is? All they know are those green things that we call peppers. They have no idea what chili like what many of us eat really is. And the same with Mexican food. What we ate as kids in So California is different from today. Today there are so many more choices and like BBQ in NC, traditional Mexican food in Mexico or CA isn't the same as what is served today. Of course what would our parents or grandparents say if they knew one of our favorite appetizers or even dinner entrees consisted of chicken wings. And to think we call them buffalo wings!! When my parents or grandparents lived on farms the wings went to the kids cause they didn't know any better.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:42 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Ive had pork in S. and N. Carolina, I had St Louis ribs...all good.

the thing I like about Texas BBQ is the variety. texas BBQ is just not brisket. It's all sorts of beef cuts, pork cuts, chicken, sausage and sides. Each joint for Ozona to Juction to Lockhart to Gonzales to Pleasanton To Devine to Concan have their style.

If you throw a rope around Austin and only eat brisket...you have missed a whole hell of a lot of good BBQ.

I love McBee's BBQ chicken.

Last edited by Chimuelojones; 07-31-2013 at 02:01 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,265 times
That sausage next to the chicken looks tasty. I prefer sausage for my BBQ to either brisket or pulled pork, but the only style of BBQ you're likely to find it in is from Texas.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:27 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm In NC and see both pork and beef, equally. Maybe where I go/know aren't traditional despite being natives.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:24 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
That sausage next to the chicken looks tasty. I prefer sausage for my BBQ to either brisket or pulled pork, but the only style of BBQ you're likely to find it in is from Texas.

This is all you need...son.

Texas - Lockart: Black's Barbecue - Sausage Ring | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by Chimuelojones; 08-01-2013 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink