Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:03 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times

Advertisements

Food for thought. Yes, technically you can eat a McDonald's cheeseburger and your body will absorb whatever "nutrients" may be in that burger, but is it actually "real food" in the traditional sense? I have heard others argue that fast food is nothing more that chemical substances that will not decompose and that even bugs will not nibble on a Whopper. In my opinion, it is hard to imagine that a corporate restaurant such as McDonalds, which has a restaurant off of every Interstate exit (or so it seems), could even deliver "food" that is of real quality. So what is your opinion or knowledge as it relates to the quality and actuality of "food" served throughout the numerous fast-food joints that dot the landscape?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 04:24 PM

26 posts, read 55,723 times
This highly depends on what you consider "real food". However, to answer your question in a literal way, fast food is real food. Meat comes from cows, chickens, turkeys, fish, etc. while other fruit and vegetable foods come from farms.

A better question to ask in my opinion would be "is fast food healthy ?". My answer to that question would be NO. Fast food companies use the same methods of food production that most major food production companies use. An example would be chickens which these companies load up with steroids to produce bigger meats leaving the consumers with foods that can cause all kinds of health defects, minor and major. Fast food companies also spray pesticides on their crops to keep bugs away leaving us consumers eating food with all kinds of bug killers.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:13 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Fast food can be healthy. It depends what you're getting. At least with McDonald's, you know you're eating something very fattening. And of course it's food. It's not particularly tasty, though.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:23 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
It can be. We have a fast food vegan restaurant in downtown Portland. It serves very healthy food but it is a walk up to the counter and order type place. In fact, it used to be a Carl's Jr hamburger place. We also have some places like that serving salads or other healthy items other than burgers or deep fried foods.

I always think of a fast food restaurant as a place where you get served quickly by standing in line to place your order, sit at a small table, eat and go. It's food you eat fast but it isn't necessarily unhealthy food.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:33 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It can be. We have a fast food vegan restaurant in downtown Portland. It serves very healthy food but it is a walk up to the counter and order type place. In fact, it used to be a Carl's Jr hamburger place. We also have some places like that serving salads or other healthy items other than burgers or deep fried foods.

I always think of a fast food restaurant as a place where you get served quickly by standing in line to place your order, sit at a small table, eat and go. It's food you eat fast but it isn't necessarily unhealthy food.
I think you're less likely to get a balanced meal if you're rushed, but the big trend in food is quality fast food. Chipotle is probably the best known national chain. There's Cava Mezze Grill in the DC area that's also really good. It feels healthy, but if you put enough toppings/sauces on one pita, it'll have more calories than a Big Mac.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
It's food, but it's more on the level of "garbage food" for lack of a better word. It's not good for you, extremely cheap and has so many things in it that lead it to be cheap that it's certainly not traditional food.

There are small family owned places though that serve up very fast food, but it's not on the mass produced chemical infused fried stuff like McDonalds and other large chain restaurants. If it's simply made and fresh it can of course be "fast" food, but not chain restaurant stuff.

I'll admit though if I'm on a road trip or flying through an airport I do tend to "treat" myself to McDonalds or Arbys a few times a year. It might kill you and make you 300lbs, but in certain intances it does hit the spot. I wouldn't advise anyone to eat it every single week or feed it to children (the fried stuff mostly or the horridly processed burgers).

Old 08-05-2013, 05:37 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
You can sometimes eat healthy fast food. Subway is fast food and depending on what you get, you can be somewhat healthy. When I get off of work late, I will have Subway for dinner. Usually a cold cut trio or turkey on wheat with lettuce, tomato, green pepper and onion. No cheese or sauces.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Food for thought. Yes, technically you can eat a McDonald's cheeseburger and your body will absorb whatever "nutrients" may be in that burger, but is it actually "real food" in the traditional sense?
Although i'm not a MacDonalds fan it is real food, a burger is bread with a bit of meat, salads are made with real lettuce,french fries at some point were real potatoes , and their chicken and fishburgers look like the real deal in their origins..
Chicken nuggets on the other hand makes me wonder if even a chicken would be offended by the product ..
In MacDonalds case Not the healthiest lifestyle choice but food nonetheless .

Old 08-06-2013, 01:38 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I have heard others argue that fast food is nothing more that chemical substances that will not decompose
All food is nothing more than chemical substances, some of which will not decompose.

Beef is beef, whether it's grass fed and comes from a fancy butcher and costs $10 a pound, or whether it's stamped out by a machine, frozen, sprayed with "flavoring", and nuked. It's still beef. Same with the hunk of lettuce on your burger, or the bun it's slapped into.

As for fast food being healthy ... All things in moderation, my little chickadees.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I am ancient enough to remember when the term "fast food" simply referred to food one could buy in a hurry. Usually that meant food prepared at diners along the highway for takeout. This was long before McDonald's was a gleam in Ray Kroc's eye.

Today it seems to have taken on a more sinister connotation of unhealthy food but I don't believe this is always the case. The vegan/vegetarian restaurant to which I referred in my earlier post is a local place that serves up healthy food but it serves it up fast in what was once what would be defined as a fast food restaurant serving unhealthy meals. That was Carl's Jr which served those killer burgers you see skinny Heidi Klum advertising on TV. Yeah, as if she eats them with that figure.

Every once and awhile, I gotta go for the grease. I miss old Carl's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink