U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 AM

17,866 posts, read 10,527,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I have some really great ideas. Cooking for this many doesn't bother me at all, after all I used to be a chef in a huge dining place. But I was just coming up with few ideas on what to fix. This crowd is a very casual crowd, and I've found out that there are some persons who have some special diets, and the most prevalent being diabetes so some of the things I would like to fix are out.

The one thing I am really interested in is the one comment about a roasting a pig. I would love to know how to roast a pig at home.

Thanks for coming up with some super ideas. Keep them coming!
Can you come up for my Halloween party? There's usually around 50 to 70 people that stop by and I always cook a ham, cater 50 pieces of chicken with hush puppies, some one always brings a pizza, and there's cases of beer. I make Boo Bugs (sausages wrapped in rolls with shoe string potato legs) for the shorties. There's dates stuffed with cream cheese and a craisin (dragon eyes). There's bat wings (black corn chips) with zombie guts (salsa). I'm always looking for something fast and easy. I can't imagine cooking for 100 people
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:23 AM

4,371 posts, read 4,467,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Can you come up for my Halloween party? There's usually around 50 to 70 people that stop by and I always cook a ham, cater 50 pieces of chicken with hush puppies, some one always brings a pizza, and there's cases of beer. I make Boo Bugs (sausages wrapped in rolls with shoe string potato legs) for the shorties. There's dates stuffed with cream cheese and a craisin (dragon eyes). There's bat wings (black corn chips) with zombie guts (salsa). I'm always looking for something fast and easy. I can't imagine cooking for 100 people
Dates stuffed with cream cheese????
Point me to your house!!!!

Old 08-11-2013, 01:48 PM

454 posts, read 752,898 times
One of the most wonderful cooking adventures i ever had was catering my sister's wedding reception.. I cooked for 2 full days before the reception; by end of day 2, I was tired, sweaty, sick of smelling food LOL... but loved the experience

4 casserole dishes potato salad (2 regular, 2 German)
4 casserole dishes baked yams topped with apple pie filling
1 home made lemon bundt cake...... 2 home-made chocolate pies
4 casserole dishes of scalloped potatoes
4 pans baked beans w/onion & pieces of bacon
4 pans home-made Mac & Cheese
4 oblong pans homemade lasagne
2 casserole dishes baked rice pudding
1 baked ham.... 50 baked chicken thighs
50 cheese & potato pierogis
assorted crackers/chips/dips/salsas
4 pans cornbread........... 8 loaves Stuffed French Bread
4 bowls of strawberries/cubed melon
(Sister provided the Wedding Cake and all beverages/drinks)

thankfully she had 2 refrigerators, a freezer, and 2 microwaves to keep and reheat all this stuff!!

Old 08-11-2013, 01:50 PM

39,230 posts, read 69,710,119 times
Lasagna and salad, with Italian butter cookies for dessert.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:53 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,897,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Order La Caja China BBQ Grills | Buy Your BBQ Grill Today & Roast Your Pig in 4 Hours!

Most people who do roast pigs purchase a box. The issue though, where can you purchase a whole pig in your area? This is a routine item in South Florida, may not be so easy to find in other areas, start with a butcher shop.

You can also build your own pig roasting box, I gave this project to my kids one summer, they built it in a few days...and we roasted a pig for a Boy Scout function...I think they got badges for it.

How to Build a Pig Roasting Box | eHow

A roast pig is delicious!

I live in central IL and have hog farms all around us. We buy cattle and hogs from farmers and take them to the packing plant to be dressed and cut up. We can buy lots of hogs on the hoof!

I've had roasted hog a few times, and one of those was when my sister-in-law and her husband got married, but when I asked she didn't know as one of her ex's friends did it. It was great but it was a huge hog.

Thanks for the info and the ehow link.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:47 PM

19,670 posts, read 27,881,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Order La Caja China BBQ Grills | Buy Your BBQ Grill Today & Roast Your Pig in 4 Hours!

Most people who do roast pigs purchase a box. The issue though, where can you purchase a whole pig in your area? This is a routine item in South Florida, may not be so easy to find in other areas, start with a butcher shop.

You can also build your own pig roasting box, I gave this project to my kids one summer, they built it in a few days...and we roasted a pig for a Boy Scout function...I think they got badges for it.

How to Build a Pig Roasting Box | eHow

A roast pig is delicious!
call an IGA store they can usually special order one

Old 08-11-2013, 05:04 PM

18,842 posts, read 35,636,062 times
Just rustle up some teen boys, they love having a project like this. I have barbecue '' experts'', they built their own smoker too.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 AM

3,184 posts, read 7,445,107 times
I would probably carry out Pizza, lasagna, salad, bread sticks. For dessert for kids and of course adults make a ice cream sundae bar, and then have fruit and assorted cookies.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:33 AM

6,729 posts, read 8,056,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I have some really great ideas. Cooking for this many doesn't bother me at all, after all I used to be a chef in a huge dining place. But I was just coming up with few ideas on what to fix. This crowd is a very casual crowd, and I've found out that there are some persons who have some special diets, and the most prevalent being diabetes so some of the things I would like to fix are out.

The one thing I am really interested in is the one comment about a roasting a pig. I would love to know how to roast a pig at home.

Thanks for coming up with some super ideas. Keep them coming!
I've done it for 80 people. I had whole roasted pig. I was able to rent a pig roaster thingamajig and bought the pig ready to be roasted from a place that does that sort of thing and my BIL manned the roasting of it. I had roasted root vegetables, mashed potatoes, and a bought giant carrot cake. There were some other side dishes - a fruit salad was one of them. And rolls of course. After making myself crazy about the menu, it seemed simpler to narrow the focus. But I didn't have fussy eaters. Mine was also a casual crowd. As far as I heard, everyone thought it was great.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:43 AM

18,842 posts, read 35,636,062 times
You are in central Illinois? You definitely need some of that fresh corn! You can steam it in a cooler. And a big vat of melted butter. Dip the corn right in it.

Nothing is tastier than fresh corn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink