Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 01:11 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I love the local Mexican taco trucks. Most make tacos and burritos that rival taquerias locally.
The last time I ate a burrito off of a taco truck, 2 words 'Montezuma's Revenge'. Trucks inspected one day might not be so clean the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 01:49 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have a halal truck behind my building. I get lunch from there usually once a week. They have chicken and rice--chicken's a little spicy, and it comes with a salad (lettuce/tomato/cucumber). You can also get spinach or dal with it OR if you want vegetarian, you can get it without the chicken. They also have falafel and soup.

They then ask if you want hot sauce and/or white sauce (which is really good but I'm sure it's fattening as hell) on your food.

It's $6.00. You get a decent-size lunch for that. Soda or a bottle of water is $1.00, but I buy my own water by the case and bring it from home. And refill the bottle at work, of course!

A few blocks away from where I work, there were a few more food trucks--one had pizza, one had empandas, and I think one had Greek food. But the area where they were is now under construction, and I'm not sure where they moved to.

A couple of months ago, they had a "food-truck wars" day at the horse racetrack near where I live, but I couldn't go because I had other plans. They had about 30 food trucks. Sounded like fun.
Actually, it usually isn't. It made from yoghurt, garlic and cucumbers.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:56 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
We haven't had food trucks here in decades, but now they're back. We have a reputation as a gourmet city and the trucks have to adhere to that. I haven't tried the food yet. We'll see.

Bureaucrats are dictating where they can operate, when they must close, even what part of the truck they can serve from. City hall picked which trucks would be licensed based on their ability to “contribute to Montreal’s brand image as a gourmet city.” If you planned to serve hotdogs, they had better be hand-crafted and locally sourced. And your poutine should be topped with foie gras or wild mushrooms.
In Montreal, a seven-member jury chose the trucks that would take part in the pilot project. The members included a nutritionist, a chef, a wine critic, two bureaucrats and two representatives of local development agencies. Their marching orders were clear. “We have a gourmet model,” said Bernard Blanchet, a city councillor and chairman of the committee that recommended the project. “We don’t want traditional pretzels, with onion rings, hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken wings. We want something more refined. I think Montreal deserves that.”
Montreal’s food truck vendors may now feed the masses

Old 08-11-2013, 02:05 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
All hail from the land of Food Trucks (or as we more refer to them, Food Carts) ... Portland, Oregon.

There are some 500+ in the city. I think we differ from what are traditionally thought of as Food Trucks, as most are stationary. They're organized into what we call Cart Pods. They typically have facilities available ... tables, toilets, etc. They offer a wide variety of foods, lots of different cuisines, and pretty great food, at low prices.

Here's a great website featuring the Food Carts of Portland.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:29 PM

7,072 posts, read 4,818,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
[
I think if I had a stick & mortar restaurant I might go in business with a food truck they could get special dishes out on the streets then send them to my joint for more. That might be an interest combination.
^^This is what the Italian one in our town does here. I can't remember the dang name of it though! It's a guy from Sicily who has had 3 or 4 incarnations in the city, and now has a restaurant/deli AND his food truck, both named the same, I think.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
We have at least 50 different food trucks in the two county area. They have "Clustertruck" events several times a week where many trucks park in a park, business area or campus. They also park in cell lots at the airports and other areas where hungry people gather.
"Clustertruck"....lol I like that! So much more clever than "Food Truck Roundup" !!!

Old 08-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's a spud truck around here - baked potatoes with a big variety of toppings. That's the "news" in my neck of the woods.

Yale Hospital has a -huge- selection of trucks. There's Mamoun's Falafel restaurant's truck - best falafels in pita with tahini and chunks of ripe tomato. And plates of baba ganoush and a bunch of other things. There's usually at least one local pizza joint, and a taqueria or two, a sushi truck, a chinese truck, a Thai truck, a vegetarian truck, always always a BBQ truck (sometimes two), a standard "roach coach" canteen truck, an ice cream truck or two in the summer, a fresh-made lemon slushie truck, a truck dedicated to onion rings, a fish & chips truck, and an italian truck specializing in sausage and onion subs and cannolis.

That's just the Yale Hospital vicinity. The restaurants that host these trucks are almost all within walking distance, for those who are lucky enough to have real lunch hours and don't have to eat on the run.
Anon, where are you? Just curious, as there's a Yale Hospital in CT, where I'm from.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:35 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Unless the truck is the old-fashioned burgers/hot dogs/sausages/cheesesteak/pretzel cart type, the food generally is ridiculously expensive; I can get the same food in a restaurant and sit down while I eat it.

But hey, it's chic these days to buy food from a truck, so the truck operators charge for it.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
puginabug I'm past the time to buy anything like that now sadly. I have read up quite a bit on them some states or cities charge fees to park and then overnight in a certain area is charged also. You know the elected can't let a person make any money without getting their parts too for doing nothing.

Lubby the ones I'm talking about they cook the food right on their trucks like tacos, sushi, vegan burger etc.

We have these types of vendor at our local county & state fair that sell things like corn dogs, elephant ears, sausage & peppers sandwiches. I'd want to sell something that isn't so saturated in the area a specialty food. Haven't figured out what food yet.
I have never seen those types of trucks on LI.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:26 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Unless the truck is the old-fashioned burgers/hot dogs/sausages/cheesesteak/pretzel cart type, the food generally is ridiculously expensive; I can get the same food in a restaurant and sit down while I eat it.

But hey, it's chic these days to buy food from a truck, so the truck operators charge for it.
Where city are you in that the food is so expensive? It's cheap here in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink