Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:40 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times

Advertisements

I think it is nice of you to bring something to share. Considering the meat is likely the most expensive item on the menu, it is only natural for you to bring two sides of some sort.

Maybe some day he'll decide that a veg is a good thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:45 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
When we have guests I always put out a wide variety of foods and everyone knows they can eat what they want and don't eat what they don't want. Some take a bit of everything, others take a few items. I don't care either way as long as you do not leave my home hungry I'm happy.

I always serve meat free pasta as well as pasta with meat in it, I always have a salad, several vegetables, cottage cheese, applesauce, a variety of different dressing for the salad, and any sort of bread, biscuit, roll, breadstick etc is always available.

If we are invited to a gathering we eat what we like and do not take what we do not like and only bring a side dish when asked to bring something.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:46 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have a friend like this, he only eats chicken, steak, ground beef, pork chops, bacon, pasta, rice and occasionally French fries. When we go there for dinner I bring 2 side dishes for my hubby, myself and my friend's SO. There might be a salad if the SO makes one. There's always dessert though LOL.
Feel free to ask your friend if you can bring a vegetarian casserole or a Crockpot Beans or Peas and Rice Dish to serve along with what is prepared at their home.

If what is being served doesn't give you some kind of allergic reaction or health issue, take small portions of what is served and you can certainly bring a salad of your choosing if there is a friendly gathering. Otherwise, politely decline the invitation.

Myself I think it's even kind of rude for friends and close family to make a major issue about food at a gathering. No one in my family likes eating healthy food except me, so I usually know what I have to do.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:30 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I would eat what is offered that I like and be greatful.
I am grateful and I do eat what is served. People are misunderstanding me. I just wanted to know if others have similar experiences. I know the guy a long time and knew from the first day we met that he did not eat much of anything. Most of the time we just eat what he makes and only bring a dessert. It's only for large gatherings that we bring other dishes. Before we met I never knew anyone who never ate fruit, veggies or other dishes.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I don't understand the OP's problem. They go to this home often. They take some sides with the host's approval. They enjoy the company. And the dessert. Excuse me, what was the question?

Oh, okay, first-time invite I'd eat what I was served. (I have no particular diet hang-ups except for parsnips) Second invite, I'd eat what I was served. Third invite, I now know what to expect and I can accept or decline as I wish.

I would NEVER presume to bring any sides, nor to even ASK if I could bring them, absent the specification that this would be a "covered dish" event. I would invite friend and SO to my home, where I would serve meat, (any kind) pasta, and whatever sides I choose.

But that's just me. Now, if I happened to be a ve*gan, which I'm not but which I would respect, the first invitation would make it pretty plain that this is not an invitation I'm prepared to accept a second time. I would certainly never presume to tell someone to "eat it just this once".
I did not say this was problem I just wanted to know if others have the same experience.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:19 PM

11 posts, read 15,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have a friend like this, he only eats chicken, steak, ground beef, pork chops, bacon, pasta, rice and occasionally French fries. When we go there for dinner I bring 2 side dishes for my hubby, myself and my friend's SO. There might be a salad if the SO makes one. There's always dessert though LOL.
I eat what I am served. I am not very picky and if I am on a strict diet I either let people know in advance or simply don't go, if it's something I don't normally eat I just try it.
Bringing your own food and eating it ignoring the food served by the hosts would look like an offence in my country but I've seen that in the US before when a family woke up early morning to make great breakfast consisting of several different dishes, both healthy and unhealthy ones and the girl who they cooked that for (it was a bridal shower morning) actually didn't even try it and went through drive through McDonald's to get some wrap or burrito or something like that instead and it didn't look like people were offended.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Feel free to ask your friend if you can bring a vegetarian casserole or a Crockpot Beans or Peas and Rice Dish to serve along with what is prepared at their home.

If what is being served doesn't give you some kind of allergic reaction or health issue, take small portions of what is served and you can certainly bring a salad of your choosing if there is a friendly gathering. Otherwise, politely decline the invitation.

Myself I think it's even kind of rude for friends and close family to make a major issue about food at a gathering. No one in my family likes eating healthy food except me, so I usually know what I have to do.
None of what my friend makes gives health or allergic issues. I would never decline any invitation because he buys high quality meats and he's a great cook, plus he's like a bother to my husband. I can bring anything I want without asking, it's understood. I only bring other stuff if there's more than just the 4 of us. Otherwise all we bring is a dessert.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiOlya View Post
I eat what I am served. I am not very picky and if I am on a strict diet I either let people know in advance or simply don't go, if it's something I don't normally eat I just try it.
Bringing your own food and eating it ignoring the food served by the hosts would look like an offence in my country but I've seen that in the US before when a family woke up early morning to make great breakfast consisting of several different dishes, both healthy and unhealthy ones and the girl who they cooked that for (it was a bridal shower morning) actually didn't even try it and went through drive through McDonald's to get some wrap or burrito or something like that instead and it didn't look like people were offended.
I never ignore the food being served, I would bring a side dish is as I was saying. I always eat what's served as I stated. What I bring would just be an addition to meal already being served. what's wrong with that?

Old 08-15-2013, 05:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I generally eat what is served. I have no food allergies or dietary restrictions.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:09 PM

317 posts, read 474,619 times
OP: I am sort of like the friend you describe. Pasta, rice, beans, and chicken (the canned chunk kind) make up 90+ percent of my diet in varying one-dish combinations. I'm on a tight food budget and hate to wash dishes, so cheap one-pot meals that last a couple of days are a good choice for me. I can't remember the last time I bought fresh meat, fruits, or vegetables.

That being said, I do quietly eat whatever is served when dining with friends. One friend in particular is quite a gourmet cook, and is always expanding my culinary horizons one way or another (which is not necessarily a good thing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink