Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 02:19 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times

Advertisements

Anyone on FB has noticed the proliferation of recipes being "shared". They are often preceded by "I've been asked so many times to re-post this, so please save to your timeline!". However, I'm wondering where these recipes are coming from, and if people have actually TRIED them. I never see any feedback, except a few where the recipe was a total bust. For example, the breaded mozzarella cheese bites turned into a bunch of melted cheese and seasonings on the pan. Sometimes I wonder if people are just making up silly recipes to see how many fools will share them.

The recipes are also usually loaded with fat, such as the shrimp sitting in a pan of butter. One of the baked chicken recipes said "You'll never fry chicken again"; however, the recipe was so loaded with fat, you might as well just keep frying. One of the recipes shared from a "Skinny Girl" type website was also loaded with fat and calories.

So, even if I wanted to try a recipe, I don't think I'd go to all that trouble unless it was from a trusted source or from a FB friend who had tried it. What do you guys think? Any experience with these recipes?

Old 08-15-2013, 02:25 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I used a crock pot tortellini recipe from Facebook recently, and it was good. Facebook or any other online recipe should be looked at carefully, since any bozo can put a recipe online. An experienced cook can tell by looking carefully at the ingredients and the directions if it will turn out good or not.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:59 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,031 times
I agree with gentlearts. I have found some really good recipes on facebook. The other day I tried a sugar cookie recipe which said it was the best sugar cookie recipe ever. It was horrible. The cookies were tough and hard. I won't use that recipe again. Sometimes it's a trial and error using recipes people post. Even on here people post recipes which aren't tried and true. I hardly ever use one on CD unless someone says it's tried and true.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Anyone on FB has noticed the proliferation of recipes being "shared". They are often preceded by "I've been asked so many times to re-post this, so please save to your timeline!". However, I'm wondering where these recipes are coming from, and if people have actually TRIED them.
They are a scam, posted to collect member names who share or comment.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:02 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
They are a scam, posted to collect member names who share or comment.
How is that a scam? No money is being exchanged.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:53 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
It's a recipe. It's Facebook. How in the world can that be a "scam"? If you don't want to "share" then simply copy the recipe and paste it to a Word document. We're not going to debate this subject any further here in Food and Drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.