Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:07 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

Being in the south I know about pigs feet and pickled pigs feet and I see them in the store but I wonder how many folks really eat them. I'm not a very adventurous eater but I certainly wouldn't consider myself picky. I think it is wonderful that all the cultures are mixing together and that mainstream stores are carrying their favorite foods. But no way am I going to eat tongue or pigs feet.
While in Vietnam picking up our adopted daughters I was a guest in an official's home. She served fish eyeball soup which made me shudder to even look at. I managed to sip on the broth a bit and I'm sure she could tell I was only trying to be polite. Really does anybody in America eat fish eyeball soup? Waste not want not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 11:32 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
I am an incredibly picky eater, I can't help it, most food looks, smells, and tastes gross to my senses.
I don't like being this way, it's a real hassle but can't be fixed.
It can be fixed. Find an occupational therapist who specializes in Wilbarger-method sensory integration work. You'll be eating more normally in a few weeks.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:42 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Having worked in a supermarket as a teen I saw a lot of pickled pigs feet go through the checkout. I see chitterlings in the stores to and wonder how many are sold. Every so often I see a hog maw in a shopping cart here. I think they are stuffed and bake. I don't even want any of the stuffing.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:24 PM

7,073 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Kambucha. (sp?) That mold-based fermented stuff that you drink that's supposed to be good for you. Yuck.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:20 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Pickled eggs. Got to be yuck. I don't like boiled eggs to start with.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:46 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
I was thinking there really isn't anything glaring I wouldn't eat and then you mentioned pickled eggs ... Bingo!!

Old 08-25-2013, 01:26 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Being in the south I know about pigs feet and pickled pigs feet and I see them in the store but I wonder how many folks really eat them...
That...that...that would be me - I eat them .

Oh, and pickled eggs - I love them, chook and quail.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:02 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Being in the south I know about pigs feet and pickled pigs feet and I see them in the store but I wonder how many folks really eat them. I'm not a very adventurous eater but I certainly wouldn't consider myself picky. I think it is wonderful that all the cultures are mixing together and that mainstream stores are carrying their favorite foods. But no way am I going to eat tongue or pigs feet.
While in Vietnam picking up our adopted daughters I was a guest in an official's home. She served fish eyeball soup which made me shudder to even look at. I managed to sip on the broth a bit and I'm sure she could tell I was only trying to be polite. Really does anybody in America eat fish eyeball soup? Waste not want not.
Being from Lithuanian background, I had an aunt who used to make jellied pigs feet. I've also been helping out some new owners of a Chinese restaurant and at least once a week, pigs feet is the staff dinner. I've tried both preparations and they're not offensive taste-wise, but I don't get the appeal of the texture at all. (The Chinese place served up pig stomach last week. I didn't ask what it was until after I finished eating it. Was tasty with a texture a bit like woody mushrooms. But just didn't want to know while I was chewing.)

I can pass on a tongue sandwich from a Jewish deli - just too much kinda/sorta bland meat - but a tongue taco is good eatin'.

I've been in some interesting places, but have never encountered eyeballs. Not sure what I'd do if I do run across them.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:02 AM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
NONE. I eat everything and I am willing to at least try everything what is considered human food...

Old 08-26-2013, 01:37 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
1. Raw Tomatoes
2. Oranges
3.Calamari
4. Poached Eggs
5. Ricotta Cheese
6. English muffins
7. Bacon, Ham, Pork Chops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink