Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 PM

7,246 posts, read 9,241,206 times

Advertisements

Margarine, fake whipping cream, peanut butter, tofu, brown rice (sorry I just can't stand it). I am not a big sweet eater so the only time I'll have something like that is when I get the occasional craving or we're having dinner guests and at the last minute I remember that the guests might like something sweet, or when I have enough notice that my nieces and nephews are coming over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 01:22 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,814,361 times
Cake mix
Canned frosting
Store bought cookies
Instant oatmeal
Cold cereals
Canned fruits and vegetables

Old 08-24-2013, 02:02 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,342,145 times
No margarine, fake fats, salt substitutes, artificial sugars-
only the real thing of butter, salt, and sugar are in my home.
No diet, "reduced___", skim, nor decaffeinated.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:52 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,649,202 times
Decaf
Margarine, or "spread" (wtf is "spread")
commercially baked sweets
skim milk
processed American cheese food
canned peas
canned spinach
offal
aspartame/saccharine/sucralose/etc
Miracle Whip
powdered potatoes

Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 PM

8,231 posts, read 8,564,690 times
mushrooms. organ meats. soup. any kind of beans. carrots. avocado. rice. salsa. pasta( stuffed such as manicotti, ravioli are ok) fish from a can except for tuna. spam.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:21 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,135,030 times
Soda
Juice
HFCS
white bread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:22 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,814,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Decaf
Margarine, or "spread" (wtf is "spread")
commercially baked sweets
skim milk
processed American cheese food
canned peas
canned spinach
offal
aspartame/saccharine/sucralose/etc
Miracle Whip
powdered potatoes
It seems that Miracle Whip and margarine are on almost everyone's list. So who even buys that crap?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:33 PM

1,092 posts, read 827,251 times
Any artificial sweeteners (except Stevia)
Margarine & synthetic margarine "substitutes" (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!", etc.)
Diet Drinks
Liver
Shrimp & shellfish of any kind
Eggplant
Imitation cheese product
Egg Beaters & powdered eggs
probably others, but these come immediately mind

Old 08-24-2013, 07:36 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,393,461 times
Anything from the sea..
Organ meat..
New Zealand Lamb..

Old 08-24-2013, 10:19 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,693,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
It seems that Miracle Whip and margarine are on almost everyone's list. So who even buys that crap?
Some people are completely grossed out by Mayo and will only use Miracle Whip or Salad Dressing (which is what Miracle Whip IS). To be honest with you, I'm the same way with salad dressing. Biting into a sandwich and encountering salad dressing instead of mayo, tells my brain that the sandwich spread is rancid. When you're used to that rich, creamy, slightly lemony concoction and you use a vinegary substance instead, it's a bit of a shock to the palate.

As for who uses margarine....well, those who have a very limited budget and simply can't afford butter. Let's face it, if you compare the price/lb of margarine, with that of butter...both not on sale, you're looking at almost 3 times the price for the butter. If you're trying to feed a family on a very limited food budget, butter is probably not going to be at the top of the priority list, unless you're buying it to use in a special dish or for baking.

Hey, I'm going to admit it, if we didn't have a freezer, which allows us to buy expensive items when they're on sale, such as butter, bacon (and other meats), we might still be on the tranfat train, too. Before learning of the dangers of transfats, I was absolutely certain that I was doing the right thing, feeding my family "vegetable oil margarine", thus avoiding saturated fats, which would lead to obesity and eventually, heart disease. When the murmers finally started becoming audible, questioning the safety of Transfats, I said, "Blah, blah, blah, yep and for several years, coffee was the root of all evil, causes all kinds of health problems....and today you're supposed to drink coffee for its health benefits. Today transfats are bad, next year the greatest invention ever!"

Then the studies concerning the TRUTH about those man-made molecules became a part of a research paper that I had to write for a class in human nutrition. Sadly, many people have absolutely no knowledge of this They've tuned out or simply not been made aware of the health dangers. Oh well.....look at cigarette packs! Labeling something does not mean that it's going to deter folks from buying it. If it's what they want or all they can afford, they're going to buy it.

Last edited by beachmel; 08-24-2013 at 11:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink