U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 04:55 PM

45,848 posts, read 57,196,498 times

Advertisements

I wonder if there is such a thing as a crab cake recipe where you can actually taste the crab?
I have tried many recipes, the most recent today. They all are good, but they leave me wondering why I have put $20. worth of crab (1/2 lump and 1/2 claw) into them when I can't taste it?
The ones I made today included Good Seasons salad dressing mix, mayo, Ritz crackers and lime. The sauce to go with it is mayo, sour cream and lime juice. They were good. All the ingredients are good, except I couldn't taste the crab at all. Of course, I have made them without the added pizzazz, but still not great.
When I was a child, at every special occasion, we had crab salad in snowflake rolls. These were super good and had a delicate crab flavor. As an adult, I have tried to duplicate these and cannot do it.
What's the deal with crab anymore? Maybe it's my old taste buds?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 05:40 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,526,144 times
I make mine with a little mayo,a little Old Bay, & a very small amount of bread crumbs.
It sounds like you may be getting too "fancy" with your ingredients.
I also bake mine in muffin tins, instead of frying them. I think they're best with minimal ingredients--you can always go crazy with your sauces!

Old 08-23-2013, 05:53 PM

5,015 posts, read 6,050,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I make mine with a little mayo,a little Old Bay, & a very small amount of bread crumbs.
Pretty much this, but I use crushed oyster cracker crumbs instead of bread crumbs and add a squirt of lemon juice. Just enough to mayo/cracker to barely hold it together, then cook in a bit of butter to bring out the sweetness of the crab.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:52 PM

12,442 posts, read 13,638,273 times
The one I use is

1lb lump crab
10 saltines
1 beaten egg
2 Tbsp mayo
1 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp Old Bay
salt to taste

We love them. The trick is to fold the ingredients and keep the crab meat in large chunks.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,526,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The trick is to fold the ingredients and keep the crab meat in large chunks.
Exactly--don't over mix. You have to have those big lumps of crab meat to taste it well.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:43 AM

5,037 posts, read 8,776,056 times
I use:

1 lb. lump crabmeat
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise (Hellmann's or Best)
2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning with 30% less sodium
1 tsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. prepared mustard
1 egg, beaten
bread crumbs - made from Ritz crackers, if I have them on hand (Sorry, I eyeball this so I can't give a quantity, but the total amount is not a lot.)

Mix everything together well, (except crabmeat), and then add the crabmeat. Shape into patties and fry in vegetable oil. (Some people prefer to bake or broil them, but I like them fried better.) Use enough oil just to lightly cover the entire bottom of the pan, but not deeply.

Tips: Use wet hands to shape patties. Turn only once when frying. Serve with lemon wedges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink