Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 07:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

I started a pot of veggie soup last night and plugged it back in a few hours ago. It has almost everything you can think of in it, including left over mashed potatoes, left over scalloped potatoes and the base is the veggie stock or broth I made Sunday with all the frozen garbage I was collecting. I thought I would make in totally vegetarian but we have some left over chicken from last night, so the chicken will go in this afternoon when I get home from bridge. But first I will put some of the soup in the blender to make it a creamy consistency. We will have Texas toast with it. Now, the fridge is almost cleaned out so we can leave and know we won't come home to spoiled food.

The one thing I am worried about: I still have 3 large zucchinis I was going to use for bread, but I ran out of eggs, so, hopefully, they will not spoil before we get back. We will only be gone 8 days.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
I will have the fun of making our steak dinner, with veggies and red potatoes. I will make it the best one we've ever had!
Good sized chuck eye steaks.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:59 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I started a pot of veggie soup last night and plugged it back in a few hours ago. It has almost everything you can think of in it, including left over mashed potatoes, left over scalloped potatoes and the base is the veggie stock or broth I made Sunday with all the frozen garbage I was collecting. I thought I would make in totally vegetarian but we have some left over chicken from last night, so the chicken will go in this afternoon when I get home from bridge. But first I will put some of the soup in the blender to make it a creamy consistency. We will have Texas toast with it. Now, the fridge is almost cleaned out so we can leave and know we won't come home to spoiled food.

The one thing I am worried about: I still have 3 large zucchinis I was going to use for bread, but I ran out of eggs, so, hopefully, they will not spoil before we get back. We will only be gone 8 days.
Does the mashed potatoes get liquidy even before you put it in the blender or it just becomes a thickener? Grate up your zuke cook it, then put it in the measuring portions you need to bake with & freeze it. I do this all the time when I have abundance of zuke so I can make pies or bread with it.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Does the mashed potatoes get liquidy even before you put it in the blender or it just becomes a thickener? Grate up your zuke cook it, then put it in the measuring portions you need to bake with & freeze it. I do this all the time when I have abundance of zuke so I can make pies or bread with it.
thanks for the hint. I had thought about cooking it, wondering if it would work ok, if I froze it. I think I will try. Certainly I will try with part of it.

As for the mashed pots, they actually, because they had come from the fridge and were somewhat dried out, were a little lumpy, but now I have put them, along with everything else in the blender. It is a nice consistency , not too thick and will be really good this evening. I have it on low..

Old 09-25-2013, 12:44 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
the rest of my roasted chicken and a cold salad with broccoli, cauliflower, bacon, cheddar, raisins,onion, mayo and sour cream, dash of salt and 3 T of sugar

Old 09-25-2013, 01:42 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Sloppy Joes don't know what else but I've been hankering for those so be it. Oh just remembered I have some raw cauliflower then I can sauté up some mushrooms & onions yeah that's the ticket.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:45 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Left over chicken with balsamic over pasta, acorn squash and maybe some spaghetti squash.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:36 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,765,017 times
We are having slow cooked chuck roast with potatoes, carrots and onion. Garden salad on the side.
I don't know how SATX makes Hamburger Soup, but I brown the hamburger, add onion, carrots, potatoes (or a bag of frozen mixed vegetables) add water to cover and simmer until the veges are done. Some people like to add macaroni or rice. Sometimes I add a can of mushroom soup to thicken it. I will also just throw whatever is left over in the fridge into the pot. Mama used to call that Refrigerator Soup! Yummie!

Old 09-25-2013, 03:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Tonight's picnic menu:

Ham, salami and cheese submarine sandwich
Asiago pasta salad
Fruit Bowl
Napolean
Chocolate covered cannoli

Old 09-25-2013, 03:43 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Tofu, garlic & broccoli omelette with baked potatoes, which reminds me I need to run & put in the oven!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink