Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:19 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times

Advertisements

Do you have a new years food/diet resolution you would like to share??

are these just baseless feel-good goals?? (after we stuffed ourselves thru the holidays?)

I'll offer mine

Yes- the popular diet/weight loss
I have a resolution to start exercising everyday- ive got a few pounds to lose..
Its winter up here,,,,so less time outside- ill be exercising in the basement with weights and machines..

As for diet- I will cut down on sweets, i have a a sweet-tooth,,
a high lean protein, low carb diet,,,,with plenty of green veggies
I will use my juicer more, my magic bullet for smoothies,,,

I also want to try a new recipe a week - new foods,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 06:11 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,878 times
I'm going to try and eat some different fruits on a regualar basis, such as kiwi and mango, etc. I will also make a bigger effort to walk a half hour at least 5 days a week, and drink more water. I have seen it suggested many times that a glass of water with a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice is a great way to start the day.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:24 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
newdawn,,,,very true,,,drink more water,
and mangos-thats a fruit i really like but dont buy often,,when they are ripe, they have such a good flavor,, i think i've bought some that werent ripe and threw half of it out

the lemon in water is a good idea,,,reminds me of a friend who drinks apple cider vinegar with water every day- if you look online,, apple cider vinegar is one of them hollistic popular foods/drinks

if you try it,,, dilute it with water and drink fast!!

Old 12-21-2013, 08:28 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,747,615 times
What we always do after the holidays....protein and salad or green veggies for as long as we can stand it. Although when we do want a pasta we are going to be going for the guten free type and see how we do on that.

Hubby worksout at least four times a week and since in Miami is such a outdoors place in the winter is great for biking and evening jogs. I am not a gym person but love outdoor sports so morning racket ball courts for me.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:14 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Just try to exercise more. Already try for higher protein and lower carbs. Been adding a mile or two of walking a day last 2 months...I'm down 12 lbs.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:23 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Do you have a new years food/diet resolution you would like to share?? are these just baseless feel-good goals?? (after we stuffed ourselves thru the holidays?)

I bought a book last month called Cooking Know How. The book has about 60 different classic recipes like chowders, fricasees, and the like. It shows a very basic recipe and them 8-10 variations. It also has clear illustrations.

I plan to cook more and eat out less, at least after March.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:52 AM

537 posts, read 1,243,828 times
In 2012, I challenged myself to cook all of my meals from scratch as long as I could. I did this in January and February (on March 1st, I HAD to get sushi). I think I'm going to do the same again. I found some amazing recipes, saved a lot since I wasn't eating out as much, and I lost weight since I focused a little more on eating well. Also, I realized I am a darn good cook! So for 2014 I'm going to do the same.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:10 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
I need to eat more this coming year. One meal a day or 2 isn't cutting it.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:24 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,878 times
Mainebrokerman - I'm not sure of the season for mango but I can buy it fresh and already cut in the part of the store that sells watermelon and pineapple that way. At my store it is on one side of the produce dept as you head into the bakery.

Someone had suggested to me that eating more "fresh" pineapple helps with aching joints - who knew? I have been eating it at least 3 times a week and have had no aching joints. I was starting to get a little creaky. lol Seems this has solved the problem for now.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Mainebrokerman - I'm not sure of the season for mango but I can buy it fresh and already cut in the part of the store that sells watermelon and pineapple that way. At my store it is on one side of the produce dept as you head into the bakery.

Someone had suggested to me that eating more "fresh" pineapple helps with aching joints - who knew? I have been eating it at least 3 times a week and have had no aching joints. I was starting to get a little creaky. lol Seems this has solved the problem for now.
I did.

It's the bromelain.

Bromelain is a mixture of enzymes found naturally in the juice and stems of pineapples. Called a proteolytic enzyme, bromelain is believed to help with the digestion of protein.
Some bromelain appears to be absorbed by the body intact, so it's also thought to have effects outside the digestive tract. In fact, bromelain is often marketed as a natural anti-inflammatory for conditions such as arthritis. It's one of the most popular supplements in Germany, where it is approved by the Commission E for the treatment of inflammation and swelling of the nose and sinuses due to surgery or injury.

Bromelain - What Should You Know About It?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink