Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 02:31 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times

Advertisements

Coumarin is prohibited as a food additive by the Food and Drug Administration.
Coumarin has appetite-suppressing properties, and have been found to have multi-biological activities such as anti-HIV, anti-tumor, anti-hypertension, anti-arrhythmia, anti-osteoporosis, pain relief, preventing asthma and antisepsis.

Interesting that appetite-suppressing additive is banned, but stuff like high fructose corn syrup - that cause significant risk of weight gain & obesity and is especially destructive to liver is present in almost every processed food/drinks ( most high fructose corn syrup is made from genetically modified corn ).

Go figure...

BTW: Coumarin is a flavouring which is found in higher concentrations in cinnamon. So, I guess cinnamon rolls and biscuits are ok to consume
Coumarin is also found in celery and licorice, citrus fruits, strawberries, apricots and cherries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 02:48 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,097 times
I was watchting something on TV about this, it wasnt a news program or even a newslike program.
Somthing is telling me it might even have been Bazzar Foods or a show like that..
Is it a coincidence that the Blood thinner Coumadin and Coumarin have similar sounding names?

Old 03-15-2011, 04:11 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,068 times
Interesting how people will believe what they want, or what agrees with their opinion. Nothing bad, I'm the same way.

People put there trust in interesting places.

HFC syrup is bad for you, if you over consume. Our family has had it plenty of times and my wife and kids look good........I could drop a few #'s , but lets not go there.

BTW, isn't sleep'n with monkeys "anti-HIV"?

Yep, there is probably some good stuff we can't have cause mamma gov't says we can't. Take the good with the bad.

Moderation, with anything, is still the key.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I was watchting something on TV about this, it wasnt a news program or even a newslike program.
Somthing is telling me it might even have been Bazzar Foods or a show like that..
Is it a coincidence that the Blood thinner Coumadin and Coumarin have similar sounding names?
Coumarin and its derivatives are principal oral anticoagulants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I

HFC syrup is bad for you, if you over consume. Our family has had it plenty of times and my wife and kids look good........I could drop a few #'s , but lets not go there.

Moderation, with anything, is still the key.
It is hard to talk about moderation when we get this stuff in almost everything we eat. ( little here , and little there - it accumulates )
Average American consumed 39 pounds of HFCS in 1980 and 62.6 pounds in 2001.
Can you imagine how much it is today?? ( 156 lb!!) - one hundred and fifty-six pounds, and only about 29 pounds of it comes as traditional sugar.

Do you know how much sugar you're eating?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

It is hard to talk about moderation when we get this stuff in almost everything we eat. ( little here , and little there - it accumulates )
Average American consumed 39 pounds of HFCS in 1980 and 62.6 pounds in 2001.
Exactly.
I make it a point to purchase food without HFCS, but it sure isn't easy!

Corn itself is in everything these days.
King Corn

Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 PM

Default Generally Recognized as Safe?

In 1958, Congress gave additive manufacturers the right to decide on their own what food additives were GRAS without FDA being involved.
The scientists who judge the safety work for the additive manufacturers or for consultants they've hired.
Many of the new chemicals are considered unsafe or even dangerous. Yet, the same law from 50 years ago is still in place, never re-evaluated, nor questioned.
Would you want FDA or an independent lab to test the new food additives for safety? Or you think that as long no one got sick or dead by eating food with additives, the food is safe.
What about additives that doesn't do immediate, noticeable damage?

Experts who decide on food additives conflicted

Old 08-24-2013, 06:27 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
No wonder there's so much unpronounceable junk in prepared foods.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Would you want FDA or an independent lab to test the new food additives for safety? Or you think that as long no one got sick or dead by eating food with additives, the food is safe.
What about additives that doesn't do immediate, noticeable damage?

Experts who decide on food additives conflicted
With the internets I decide for myself what is good/bad for my kids and I. No reason why I can't anymore.

If we can predict the future, then the last question would be answered easily. Buy fresh when possible, eat in moderation, and that is the best we can do. If we indulge everyonce in a while it could be that we won't live to be 130 yrs old. Could also be said that since the 50's that our life expectancy has increased. Is this due to the additives, HFCS, MSG, etc? Probably not. I'm here to live the life that God gave me, respect it, and enjoy it. We do the best we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink