Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:35 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
My favorite "hotel" breakfast was at Club Med in the Bahamas. I just loved the open air seaside buffet with its very wide selection of fresh fruits, cereals, danishes, all sorts of eggs and meats for the omnivores/carnivores....you name it.
This is probably not in the correct spirit of answering this question, but it's along with yours -- my favorite "hotel" breakfast is at either of the Excellence resorts in Cancun for similar reasons you mentioned. I'm also a fan of anyplace that allows me to have unlimited guacamole with my breakfast...and mimosas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 10:23 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
my usual used to be two eggs over easy, crispy bacon, toast, coffee. now i'd probably get an oatmeal and raisons. i always like to try someone else's oatmeal (i've started liking grits too). i'm fascinated as to how they do it. i can never make good oatmeal. i've tried and tried, but it never tastes as good as when you order it. shrugs.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:41 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,683 times
I haven't stayed at a hotel in awhile, but the last time I did I took advantage of the continental breakfast and had a bage,l pastry, fruit, and coffee. As a kid, I loved staying at a hotel with a waffle maker because we never made waffles growing up so it was a special treat for me.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
my usual used to be two eggs over easy, crispy bacon, toast, coffee. now i'd probably get an oatmeal and raisons. i always like to try someone else's oatmeal (i've started liking grits too). i'm fascinated as to how they do it. i can never make good oatmeal. i've tried and tried, but it never tastes as good as when you order it. shrugs.
Are you buying the right oatmeal?
When you see a large pot of oats at most hotel breakfast bars, buffets, cafes, etc. they are typically steel cut oats (AKA Irish or Scotch oats). They have a nutty taste and are firmer than rolled oats, resembling very tiny rice pieces.
Best prepared a night before. (that cuts the time of cooking in the morning)
Here is the basic:
3:1 water to oats ( depends how much you want to cook. You can cook more for 2-3 breakfasts)
Heat the oats, water, and pinch of salt over medium-high heat, with a lid on. Once the mixture reaches a boil, turn the burner off. Watch it, because they cook quickly.
DO NOR REMOVE THE LID! This is very important, as it keeps the moisture inside, allowing the oats to continue cooking. Leave the covered pot on the stovetop overnight.
In the morning just remove the lid and stir. Turn the burner on to medium heat. Allow the mixture to simmer, approximately 5-6 minutes. Stir, so it doesn't burn.
Pour into a bowl, top with fresh or dry fruit, piece of real butter, nuts or whatever you like.
Enjoy!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:29 AM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Royal Park Hotel in Tokyo. Any Westin Hotel has a great breakfast.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
We stayed at a Hilton in Austin last week. They served a great breakfast. My favorite part was the customized (and delicious) omelette. The dining room was beautiful as well, and the views of that sunny city were really nice.

My favorite breakfasts in hotels though, are the breakfasts you get in most hotels in Germany. Dang, those Germans know how to do breakfast up right! It's not your typical eggs and bacon and potatoes stuff you'd find over here, though they do serve some great three-minute eggs in the cute little stand - the type you cut the top off of and spoon out or dip bread slices into.

They serve cold cuts, wonderful breads and pastries (Germans make the best breads I've ever tasted), fruits, cheeses, real butters (yes, plural), fabulous preserves (they're also really good at preserves and jams), a wide variety of yogurts and muesli, terrific and invariably strong coffee - with real cream, and about four or five milk options. Here's a typical German hotel breakfast spread:

http://benzekri.files.wordpress.com/...-breakfast.jpg

http://aff.bstatic.com/images/hotel/...61/2614818.jpg

Yum. You won't be hungry till late in the afternoon after something like this - even if you're walking your legs off sightseeing!

Last edited by Beretta; 08-27-2013 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Copyright; changed Images to URL

Old 08-27-2013, 11:50 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Are you buying the right oatmeal?
lol quaker oats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When you see a large pot of oats at most hotel breakfast bars, buffets, cafes, etc. they are typically steel cut oats (AKA Irish or Scotch oats). They have a nutty taste and are firmer than rolled oats, resembling very tiny rice pieces.
Best prepared a night before. (that cuts the time of cooking in the morning)
Here is the basic:
3:1 water to oats ( depends how much you want to cook. You can cook more for 2-3 breakfasts)
Heat the oats, water, and pinch of salt over medium-high heat, with a lid on. Once the mixture reaches a boil, turn the burner off. Watch it, because they cook quickly.
DO NOR REMOVE THE LID! This is very important, as it keeps the moisture inside, allowing the oats to continue cooking. Leave the covered pot on the stovetop overnight.
In the morning just remove the lid and stir. Turn the burner on to medium heat. Allow the mixture to simmer, approximately 5-6 minutes. Stir, so it doesn't burn.
Pour into a bowl, top with fresh or dry fruit, piece of real butter, nuts or whatever you like.
Enjoy!
you know what, i'm going to try that! thanks.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:24 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,568 times
My favorite breakfast is at the Seascape Resort in Aptos, CA. They have the most delicious brunch buffet. Everything you could dream of is at that brunch. We usually do that and then don't eat until dinner. If we order from our rooms, I love their Huevos Rancheros. Again, I have that and I'm good until dinner. It's also nice because we'll take long walks on the beach and burn off all the food we just consumed.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:28 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
There was a hotel somewhere I stayed it has been so long now but they had wonderful eggs benedict ....and I m a sucker for eggs benedict ....

Old 08-27-2013, 02:28 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
waffles/pancakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink