Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:34 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times

Advertisements

Kentucky students to first lady Michelle Obama: Your food

So what these kids are saying is...we want more fats, sugars and carbs in our food. We don't want fruit and veggies.

No wonder there is an obesity problem with kids.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
I would have killed for healthier options at my school. All I remember is kids wanting to eat pizza all the time and I was weird if I wanted an actual meal or a salad.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post

So what these kids are saying is...we want more fats, sugars and carbs in our food. We don't want fruit and veggies.

Not necessarily. A lot of the preparation of school lunches is poorly cooked. For example, in one school lunch program that I toured, the "cooks" boiled peas for TWO HOURS. In another, the fruit dish, produred through the STATE'S vendors contained fruit pits and stems. I would NOT eat the garbage.

Remember that most PUBLIC institutions, including schools. require that the food be procured through a bidding process where the food is purchased from the low cost supplier. It is based on price, not quality. I ran kitchens in several kitchens in a certain state and the garbage that we were expected to use was criminal.

It is nice that Jamie Oliver and other celebrity cooks can produce healthy menus with first rate food for school children. However, in most cases, that food is not available to the staff.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
My kids used to be hungry when they got they got the school food. A lot of times there were things they couldn't eat, like green hot dogs or moldy bread. Some things just "tasted off" and other things, like egg or cheese, they were sure weren't made out of real egg or cheese. My youngest is a food snob...she can tell you if something was made with real butter and real vanilla and I've seen her throw out a store-bought cupcake because it tasted like chemicals. My older child is more worried about food safety. Either way, most days they couldn't eat the school food...and it wasn't a lack of fats, sugars or carbs.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:22 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post

Of course. How many kids do you know that want fruit and veggies over burgers and pizza. Kids, if they don't like it they wont eat it.

I don't think school lunch is the culprit behind obese children. Kids need to just start bringing their lunch like we did in the old days.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,320 times
I don't blame them for not eating that slop ! ! !

Obama's wife does not know everything ! ! !

Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My kids used to be hungry when they got they got the school food. A lot of times there were things they couldn't eat, like green hot dogs or moldy bread. Some things just "tasted off" and other things, like egg or cheese, they were sure weren't made out of real egg or cheese. My youngest is a food snob...she can tell you if something was made with real butter and real vanilla and I've seen her throw out a store-bought cupcake because it tasted like chemicals. My older child is more worried about food safety. Either way, most days they couldn't eat the school food...and it wasn't a lack of fats, sugars or carbs.
I remember the green hamburgers and the cardboard pizza. Our school didn't have enough room so there were 3, 30 minute lunch periods. Sometimes after waiting in line we only had 5 minutes to eat and get to class. I also had P.E. right after lunch and would get stomach cramps. I finally just started smoking during lunch break instead of eating. It was much easier.

I think there are more important issues with our school systems than monitoring the caloric intake of each child.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 AM

61,681 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Bad habits die hard, especially when continued at home...
It will take a generation or two to change them and teach about healthy eating, reading labels, comparing products and say no to fast foods.
Schools should start to teach kids practical things, like basic cooking, nutrition, shopping for food, budgeting, fixing things. Most kids don't even know where their food comes from, or what ingredients were used to prepare it.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:20 AM

61,681 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

I think there are more important issues with our school systems than monitoring the caloric intake of each child.
I wonder if it would be easier and better to get independent contractors to run school cafeterias? They could focus on the recommendations and guidelines to prepare healthy, nutrition food, and leave schools do the teaching stuff.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,320 times
This kind of thinking about food is why so many children
can't read, write, or figure math.

Remember when it was the three R's

Now it's what are you eating ... which will not prepare them for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink