Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times

Advertisements

Domino's offer different crusts. Can you choose something simple? They don't add the spices to all of their options.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
If I had a choice of any chain pizza made from the recipe of thirty years ago or the same chain pizza recipe made from today's recipe, I'd take the chain pizza from thirty years ago without hesitation.
Yes. I was actually going to start a similar thread about Pizza Hut. Their pizza tastes similar, but I think they might have used more sauce in the past or something.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:55 PM

But as far as Domino's, I don't know what the thing is. I suppose it *could* be the particular store, a newer one, as opposed to the entire chain. But their crust has an herb/garlic flavoring that really doesn't impress me. What's wrong with regular pizza crust?

It's definitely the crust that I don't like.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:19 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times
I have a sentimental attachment to the old Dominos pizza recipe, after eating so much of it in college back in the 80s.

When the Dominos adds for the "new" style pizza started I was a bit annoyed. However, I did try the new version of their pizza and found it to be decent.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
I worked at dominos for several years. They changed the cheese to a lower grade cheese. That is the biggest problem. It makes me sick to eat it now. They changed a lot of the process as well.
Papa Johns did basically the same thing.
Pizza hut underwent the least amount of change, in my opinion but still not as good as it was.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else prefer the way Domino's used to make their pizzas in the past?

Nowadays they use some kind of garlic bread. I love garlic bread. But it doesn't seem to work for them. It tastes like something I might have tried to do when I was a kid. Combining a piece of garlic bread with tomato sauce, cheese, etc. But the flavors just don't work together. It's like a gimmick thing and you can't even have a normal crust.

Ugh. I used to really love Domino's when I was a kid. But they have completely changed. I've had their pizza about twice in the last 5 years. The first time I tried their new crust as an option. Then I got it again yesterday and that seems to be the only option other than a thin crust that I haven't yet tried. I don't think I'm going to be returning unfortunately.
I liked Domino's too, when I was a kid. But thats because I was young and didn't know any better. Now that I'm a lot older, and have actually had the misfortune of working for Domino's one time, I would only eat Domino's if I was absolutely starving.

I'll start by saying, its simply not possible to make a medium pizza for $5 or $6, that is fit for humans to eat. If you think it's possible, then try buying the the ingredients and making your own. You'll easily end up spending $10 or $15 on it. Even most of those little 12" flat frozen pizzas in the store will cost you more then that. So you are just dreaming if you think that you can get a decent pizza for $5 or $6 or even $10 for that matter.

Everything that Domino's uses is the most highly processed, lowest quality ingredients that they can find. They receive everything frozen. Their business practices are not good. Watch your receipt, because they will over charge you, and I won't even go into what they do to their employees. Domino's is the Walmart of pizzas.

If you want a really good pizza be prepared to spend $20 minus any discounts on it. You'll find the best pizzas at your local ma and pa shops. Places where they make the pizza with fresh dough and fresh ingredients every day.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:04 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else prefer the way Domino's used to make their pizzas in the past?

Nowadays they use some kind of garlic bread. I love garlic bread. But it doesn't seem to work for them. It tastes like something I might have tried to do when I was a kid. Combining a piece of garlic bread with tomato sauce, cheese, etc. But the flavors just don't work together. It's like a gimmick thing and you can't even have a normal crust.

Ugh. I used to really love Domino's when I was a kid. But they have completely changed. I've had their pizza about twice in the last 5 years. The first time I tried their new crust as an option. Then I got it again yesterday and that seems to be the only option other than a thin crust that I haven't yet tried. I don't think I'm going to be returning unfortunately.
That is my experience as well, I think their pizza taste a little bit like cardboard. Also, I get bloated stomach every single time I eat there.

Hence I replaced Domino's with Pizza Hut. I also go to Sal's authentic NY pizza once in a while.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I'll start by saying, its simply not possible to make a medium pizza for $5 or $6, that is fit for humans to eat. If you think it's possible, then try buying the the ingredients and making your own. You'll easily end up spending $10 or $15 on it. Even most of those little 12" flat frozen pizzas in the store will cost you more then that. So you are just dreaming if you think that you can get a decent pizza for $5 or $6 or even $10 for that matter.
I'm not sure I would agree. Chef Boyardi pizzas are not that expensive, and their crust tastes much better than a lot of restaurant pizzas. (You mix the dough yourself.)

Plus, you could get a frozen pizza for way less. And even most of those would taste better than the Domino's crust IMO.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:04 PM

259 posts, read 522,490 times
Domino's was always one of the blandest pizza chains and still is. What are you talking about???

Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
If you have a Jet's Pizza in your area try them. We just had some brought in for a company function, I had never had theirs, and the pizzas were really a lot better than the other chains IMO. I liked it so much I bought one last night for my dinner.

I don't know how widespread they are, but I think they are new to this area.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink