Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:25 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times

Advertisements

I usually don't have dessert with meals because I am usually satisfied with dinner. I don't usually keep 'dessert' items in stock and that definitely cuts down on the temptation. I have been known to snack on a carrot or a slice of cheese as an after meal treat. One of my favorite dessert items is yogurt. Besides cheese, yogurt is one of those refrigerated staples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 01:30 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Life is a lot different when there's no one here but me. When my sons were growing up (five of 'em) we had meat, starch (usually potatoes), and a veg of some kind, with a homemade bread every night. Couldn't fill those guys up. Dessert was never served until after homework, bath, and the room tidied up. Then it was pudding, jello, cake, pie. Or when I was really feeling uncharitable, a bowl of cereal. (Nobody every complained)

Now, it's whatever I feel like - some nights it's cheese and crackers w/a side of Thai chili sauce. Or a bowl of Cheerios. Or soup and grilled cheese. If I do the whole meal, it's usually a chop or a chicken breast with a sweet potato and corn or broccoli. Summertime, there's usually a nice tomato to go with.

We all eat too much.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:36 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
I'm not big into potato's, I do love mostly all vegies..
I love a raw salad or sometimes we just cut up raw peppers, carrots and such..
Always I try to incorporate some sort of frozen or fresh steamed vegie also..

Old 09-09-2013, 01:47 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,961 times
Mostly I try to do one-dish meals like pasta with vegetables and a protein. If it's a grilled meat then I do vegetables on the side and don't concern myself much with a starch. I don't feel like complete meals "need" a starch on the side but if there are guests it's conventional so of course I plan one.

No regular accommodation for dessert. I usually have ice cream in the freezer if I want something like that. A fruit juice acts like dessert for me.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:53 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Dessert even in moderation is just not good for me. I can gain weight just looking at something with sugar in it. HOWEVER, I do have a piece of sugar free candy after I eat.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:58 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
We've gotten away from the conventional meat and two sides. Most nights, it's meat and one veggie, no starches. Sometimes, if the entree is light, like fish, I might make a salad too. Occasionally we add a sweet potato or beans or corn.

Hedgehog_Mom - I love the idea of making the salad in advance and storing in ziplocks. I'm forever trying to keep salad veggies from going bad. I'd eat more salad if I didbn't have to do all the prep work each night.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:29 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
We tend to eat a protien and a veggie. Salad also. Usually it's either protein and salad or protein and veggies. Don't really do the starches anymore. Sometimes we'll do pasta but it's always low carb type. (Dreamfields makes a good one). Dessert is also considered a special occasion. I have no desire to eat dessert ever but I do like to bake once in a while and if we're having dinner guests over I do always provide a dessert.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:49 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
We don't eat a salad often enough, but we do have two - three sides with our protein, usually fresh veggies. Sometimes, when we have one of our "comfort meals," like turkey meatloaf, we'll have mashed potatoes. We only have dessert on rare occasions but we end-up eating the dessert a few hours later. We love breads but try not to have them very often with supper.

We aren't overly health-conscious but we do try to eat certain things in moderation.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:53 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,338 times
We always have meat, veggie, starchy side, fresh fruit (most often cubed melon), and dessert (usually a small scoop of ice cream or a cookie). Sometimes there is bread, depending on the entree.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:12 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,784 times
I always serve one starch, one or two vegetables, and usually a salad or some raw veggie, like slices of tomatoes, cucumbers, avocadoes, baby carrots.

I couldn't get away with not serving a starch. My husband needs that to fill up.

We have dessert once or twice per week, when I have time to make something--usually on the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink