Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
This isn't anything against dirt grinder, but fresh mozzarella and ricotta are actually pretty easy to make. Or at least a lot easier then you would think.
LOL - Don't say that and then not tell how to make it.

Here's the thread where I first brought it up: Mozzarella and Ricotta

What I have noticed is the salt and acid determine the flavor and ultra-pasteurized milk doesn't seem to work as well as "normal" pasteurized. There are lots of recipes out there and the ingredients are easy to find. So... RELEASE THE CHEESEMAKERS or was the saying "Release the Kraken?"

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 09-10-2013 at 01:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 01:19 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,470,523 times
We just have dessert now and then. Sometimes I make 2 sides and sometimes just one, it just depends on the main dish and what I feel like making.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,114 times
This summer, I've been doing a main and two veggie sides fairly regularly -- one of which is sliced fresh garden tomatoes -- and typically a green veggie but often corn on the cob because it's so good right now. In the winter, I do a lot of soups that are not vegetable soup, per se, but are heavy on the veg and use broth and blenderized vegetables to thicken instead of cream. When I do soups or stews, I serve a slice of bread on the side, but try not to serve bread or pasta most of the time at dinner. I love it, but it loves me so much it grabs me around the waist and never goes away.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:02 AM

98 posts, read 218,051 times
Our thought has been that moving away from the obligatory traditional "starch" as a side can help lower the overall calories of the meal as you usually end up with enough starch in the other items in the form of sauces, etc. Adding a complex carbohydrate like beans or lentils (higher in protein) helps make the meal heartier and doesn't affect the body the way potatoes and rice do. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
We are a meat, potatoes, and sidedish of vegetables family. The meal just seems incomplete without those 3 ingredients. Last night we had pork chops, mashed potatoes, and brussel sprouts. The night before we had Tilapia, baked potatoes, and spinach (oh, and breaded scallops in shells).

I think it is a cultural thing, our families fed us that way and we just continue the tradition.

Don

Old 09-10-2013, 12:09 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
...oh, and breaded scallops in shells...
They must be hard on the teeth if they're still in the shell.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:29 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,151 times
I was thinking about this last night actually.
We had mannacoti, tomatoe sauce on it, and peas on the side.
That's all we had.
The cheese is the protein, the mannacoti shells are your carbs, and
the peas are your veggy.
We rarely eat desert.
That was balanced right?
And another question, bread is a carb, right?
So, if you eat a hamburger with a roll, you have meat and carb.
You just add a green veggy and it's balanced.
So you don't have to make a ton of dishes, except when your in the mood.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:00 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,448 times
It really depends on what I'm cooking. If I make tacos for dinner we usually don't have any sides, sometime some corn or rice with it.

Or if I make a stir-fry that's your meat, veggies, and starch all together.

If I do something like a steak or grilled chicken the sides can be things like deviled eggs, salad, grilled veggies, etc.

Desserts are very rare. But there is always fruit to snack on. Now and then I may have some ice cream, but it's usually like a skinny cow or smart one which is like 100-140 calories. But that's 1-2 times a week.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:14 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,237,862 times
We eat differently down here in Australia.

A meal would be meat, starch, veges OR salad - not usually both.

IIRC you guys eat your salad first, as kind of a starter? Of is that last, as kind of a finisher? We eat the salad with the meal.

I really like my own homemade bean salad, which is a vege/starch mix and just delicious with any meat. If I made that, I would have a green salad too.

Salads are mainly summer here. Veges are the choice in winter.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
In restaurants salads are served before the entree however i think most families serve a salad on the table with the meal if for no other reason than to keep the server-usually mom- from having to jump up and down getting and removing plates. I sometimes put a small salad or sliced tomatoes on a large dinner plate if I'm only serving a meat and 1 veggie. I serve salads year round but winter tomatoes are mealy and hardly worth bothering with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink