Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:44 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,747 times

Advertisements

I just read that health warning labels are to be included on the sugar package if some people have their way. Is it that bad? I suppose like anything else if done too much its bad for you. But sugar is in everything it seems, even peanut butter. Some of those yogurt cups have 6 teaspoons of sugar. That makes it a candy product I would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 10:21 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,405 times
Sugar is the devil. Seriously, though, I think it should be classified as a drug. Studies have been done that show that it lights up the same areas in the brain as street drugs.
Have you ever tried to give it up? I'm addicted. My husband is addicted.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:39 AM

747 posts, read 1,682,064 times
I don't eat sugar anymore it's been over two years since a obvious dose of anything with sugar has passed my lips. No pop, candy, cake, brownies, sugary breakfast items, juice, fruits...so on. No sugar in my life, but it was my personal choice not to eat it. I think putting labels on sugary items is pretty stupid, truthfully sugar is in most things...which limits my food options A LOT. They will need to print up a whole lot of labels because it's in everything I seem to pick up, things you wouldn't even think sugar would be in. The second I see sugar listed on the back of a product it goes back on the shelf.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:58 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Sugar warnings. Gluten warnings. Peanut warnings. Shellfish warnings. Pretty soon there won't be any room left for the product name. Or the nutritional label, which actually tells you what's in it.

OK, I think this could be the solution... require everything to have a big WARNING label on it. Then everybody will be happy.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
WARNING!

Life maybe hazardous to your health.

That being stated I support full disclosure on anything I buy.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:11 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
How do people "not eat sugar"??? It is in everything, including non processed food, like fruit. Are we talking one type (as in HFCS)?

Old 09-18-2013, 12:16 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,868 times
I watch my sugar intake. I read labels on everything. I avoid a lot of things that (quietly) can have a lot of sugar in it and make it myself instead (salad dressings, sauces, etc). I don't like sugary sweets so that's a bonus. I try to avoid artificial sweetners as well (gave up my beloved diet coke addiction!)

I know I can't completely avoid it but there's a lot you can do to keep it to a minimum if you want. I also started avoiding complex carbs which tend to turn into sugar. I was so mad when I realized that!

Old 09-18-2013, 12:18 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
WARNING!

Life maybe hazardous to your health.

That being stated I support full disclosure on anything I buy.
I repped you but my computer froze so I wasn't able to sign it. I laughed out loud at this - next thing you know we'll be putting labels on people as well..

Old 09-18-2013, 01:07 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
I limit sugar, but don't avoid it. I eat small amts. of sweets--a cookie, a small piece of cake once in a great while, piece of pie once in a while. But, I avoid it in yogurt (eat only plain), avoid puddings, donuts, prepared cocoa mixes (make my own), drink tea plain, etc. All of the peanut butters have small amts. in it, maybe 3 grams/2 tablespoons. That isn't a lot of sugar. You just have to minimize its use by reading labels, make homemade stuff where you can decrease it; it becomes second nature.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:21 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Sugar on the label because nobody knows that sweet foods contain sugar? You have to make sure you point it out?

Food with sugar already lists "sugar" on the label, in all of its various forms.

I just generally don't approve of the government trying to control what I eat because they think they know so much better than I do what I should eat.

yes, ingredients should be listed, so that people with allergies can avoid the food. But sugar is already listed in the ingredients if it is in there.

By the way, is there a large population of people who are allergic to sugar and likely to die from anaphilactic shock if they eat it? Diabetics aren't supposed to eat it, but they all know to read the label, where there it is, already spelled out in print on the label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink