Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On average, how often do you grocery shop?
Several times a week 54 51.43%
Once a week 35 33.33%
Every two weeks 8 7.62%
Every three weeks 3 2.86%
Once a month 6 5.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 02:55 PM

20,862 posts, read 28,205,596 times

Advertisements

I go once a week for the big shopping but on occasion will go another day of the week if I need something that I forgot. I live 5 minutes from 3 major grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 12:49 PM

43,352 posts, read 44,062,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I admit up front that I detest grocery shopping, and avoid it whenever possible. Wondering how often others shop for food.
I usually do one big shopping run at a local supermarket once a week. Besides that I might enter my local CVS for a few other food items once or twice.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:34 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,150,172 times
I find myself shopping often. I usually keep my freezer stocked with proteins, so it is for produce I pop into the store several times a week. Like some other posters I used to drive all over for sales. I live a 5 minute drive from a grocery store that is considered by some to be expensive, but I have saved time and money by just sticking with that store and paying attention to their sales.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:49 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,239,147 times
I used to work at a major chain grocery store, no kidding, there are people who come to the store, four and five times a DAY! It was crazy. They came in the am for donuts, coffee, fruit, lunchtime for a coke and chips, and deli sandwich, dinner time, to pick up fried chicken, coleslaw, late night, for some crazy item, and beer, or diapers...it was insane. Men, women, we knew their kids, it was like, all they did was come to the store! Very strange.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:51 AM

20 posts, read 18,164 times
Better choice is on-line shopping sites . you'll be able to get everything reception with none drawback or traveling

Old 10-23-2013, 04:01 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,215,153 times
Every day or two usually. We eat a lot of fresh food and only have a small fridge/freezer. And my toddler loves going to the supermarket so its a fun activity for her too.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:34 AM

4,105 posts, read 5,529,026 times
I do a big shopping once a week, but will stop by once a week to top up bananas and salad ingredients as they don't stay fresh an entire week.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 AM

9,692 posts, read 14,173,793 times
Since our new Redner's Store opened, we go often, either my husband or I. It's a 3 minute drive there from our house, close parking is a cinch, food is fresh, and employees are ultra-friendly and helpful. We're in and out of there in less than 10 minutes (with our fresh baked pumpkin muffins).

So nice not to have to go to Wal-Mart, which is a 5 minute drive from our house. But, finding a close parking place at Wal-Mart is a chore, employees are not as friendly, and it's a dreaded trip with lots of walking to find what we need.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 AM

88,192 posts, read 84,046,795 times
It's on the way home from my train, so I stop in a couple of times a week to get what I need when I need it.

When my daughter was growing up, I would plan out meals and do a big shopping trip when I got paid to make sure I had everything I needed until I got paid again. Now that I live alone and chips and salsa can be dinner, it doesn't matter so much if I'm stocked up or not.

Also, where I live now there is a farm nearby where I get fresh vegetables and fruit plus a farm-market type of store that's open year-round. They are further away, about a fifteen-minute drive, so I go there on the weekends and get the produce I need. Supermarket produce in NJ sucks--they truck hard, unripe crap in from California when we've got the best tomatoes on the planet minutes away (at least for our short growing season of a couple of months).

Old 10-23-2013, 06:50 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,904,968 times
It's almost embarrassing to say that I have 15 full-fledged grocery stores within a ten to twelve minute drive from my house. That's not counting the convenient/gas stores, the drug stores/dollar stores that have grocery sections, or K-Mart and Target, which have grocery departments but not full-service like meats and produce.

I often stop into one or the other when I'm out doing another errand and will pick up something that's on sale that week.

Since I'm becoming increasingly disenchanted with actual cooking, I tend to pick up some frozen meals (a la Marie Callendar or Healthy Choice), or a rotisserie chicken which can last for several days. I waste more bread than I consume, even though I freeze half of the loaf. A quart of milk lasts beyond the expiration date.

I guess I have to vote for several times a week (or "far too often")

I agree, Queen, with the tomatoes in Jersey. We go to the beach every Summer, but no longer look forward to red, ripe Jersey 'maters or just picked Jersey corn. Even the green beans look ashamed to be there. We just enjoy the ocean and the sea breeze and eat out a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink