Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 05:43 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,527 times

Advertisements

Ok hubby always raves about a grandma chicken and dumplings dish, it was made German style and he said the dumplings were very airy. Dish also had sour kraut in it.

Thing is I have NEVER had a chicken and dumpling dish at all, I do make all sorts of international dishes but I am trying to make a meal that appeases my Midwestern man's childhood memories.

His grandparents are from Bohemia but he insist this was German, they grew up in Omaha. Since grandparents and mom and dad for hubby are long gone I have no reference points.

Being Cuban We just don't have dumplings in our recipes and would love help here, this is a dream dish if I can make it for Hubby.

Please help, I can make a lot of international dishes but this one I haven't got a clue and don't even know what GOOD chicken and dumplings should taste like.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 06:05 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I have never heard of this dish but I know how to make airy dumplings.
2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup of milk.
Stir together and drop by tablespoon into the pot where the chicken has cooked with an onion, a carrot and a celery stalk for flavoring. This mixture also has salt and pepper. Other things such as heavy cream or milk can also be added. I don't use anything else listed past the pepper so the mixture will not burn. I also take out the cooked whole chicken before starting to make the dumplings. My mother taught me never to put flour and meat together because that will speed growing bacteria in food. We put the foods back together in our plates.

After the dumplings have been dropped in the pot; cook for ten minutes after the liquid starts to boil. Then cover with a tight lid and cook for ten more minutes with liquid at a slow boil. Heat under the pot may need to be lowered to medium to accomplish the low boil. Dumplings will then be done. Put a portion of stewed chicken and a couple of dumplings in your plate along with any vegetables you want to include on your plate and enjoy. It is a little like cooking biscuits in liquid. Yum! Yum!

I grew up with dumplings made this way and to me they are far better than the rolled out kind of dumplings that are more like thick noodles.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:56 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,116,772 times
Airy dumplings = Bisquick! Easy and yummy!!!

Old 09-30-2013, 09:24 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
I just did a quick search and found these. Maybe one would work?

Chicken And Hard German Dumplings Stew Recipe

German Chicken And Dumplings Recipes | Yummly

Anna's German Dumplings Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 09-30-2013, 09:41 PM

382 posts, read 721,508 times
I wonder if what he had isn't closer to what Czechs call "houskove knedliky"? I'd never seen anything like them before I lived in the Czech republic. They end up looking like what a little loaf of bread would be like if you steamed it instead of baking it --- because that's kind of what they are.

They're usually cut into slices using a thread, and are used to sop up delicious Czech sauces. They are denser and more moist than a piece of bread, but fluffier than what Americans would usually think of when they hear the word "dumpling".

Even if your husband's family were ethnic Germans, if they lived in Bohemia, there's a good chance they encountered these.

Bread Dumplings Houskove Knedliky) Recipe - Food.com - 76670

Houskove Knedliky - Delicious recipe by food author Howard Hillman

Hodne stesti! Uhm, I mean Viel Gluck! (Good luck!)

Old 09-30-2013, 09:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Forget it. You can make dumplings lighter than air, gravy that is supreme, chicken that is tender and luscious, and it still won't be the same as his Grandma's....

You can try...but, don't expect too much. Hopefully, he will appreciate the effort.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Forget it. You can make dumplings lighter than air, gravy that is supreme, chicken that is tender and luscious, and it still won't be the same as his Grandma's....

You can try...but, don't expect too much. Hopefully, he will appreciate the effort.
Lol I KNOW! We have a saying the Onion and garlic sauté of our memories will always deceive us! I am just hoping for a close second

Old 09-30-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
I wonder if what he had isn't closer to what Czechs call "houskove knedliky"? I'd never seen anything like them before I lived in the Czech republic. They end up looking like what a little loaf of bread would be like if you steamed it instead of baking it --- because that's kind of what they are.

They're usually cut into slices using a thread, and are used to sop up delicious Czech sauces. They are denser and more moist than a piece of bread, but fluffier than what Americans would usually think of when they hear the word "dumpling".

Even if your husband's family were ethnic Germans, if they lived in Bohemia, there's a good chance they encountered these.

Bread Dumplings Houskove Knedliky) Recipe - Food.com - 76670

Houskove Knedliky - Delicious recipe by food author Howard Hillman

Hodne stesti! Uhm, I mean Viel Gluck! (Good luck!)
thank you I will try it and see, this dish was something he ate as a child so anything close or similar would invoke some sort of memories.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have never heard of this dish but I know how to make airy dumplings.
2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup of milk.
Stir together and drop by tablespoon into the pot where the chicken has cooked with an onion, a carrot and a celery stalk for flavoring. This mixture also has salt and pepper. Other things such as heavy cream or milk can also be added. I don't use anything else listed past the pepper so the mixture will not burn. I also take out the cooked whole chicken before starting to make the dumplings. My mother taught me never to put flour and meat together because that will speed growing bacteria in food. We put the foods back together in our plates.

After the dumplings have been dropped in the pot; cook for ten minutes after the liquid starts to boil. Then cover with a tight lid and cook for ten more minutes with liquid at a slow boil. Heat under the pot may need to be lowered to medium to accomplish the low boil. Dumplings will then be done. Put a portion of stewed chicken and a couple of dumplings in your plate along with any vegetables you want to include on your plate and enjoy. It is a little like cooking biscuits in liquid. Yum! Yum!

I grew up with dumplings made this way and to me they are far better than the rolled out kind of dumplings that are more like thick noodles.
Thanks will try it.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:22 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
There were/are German speaking people in parts of what was called Czechoslovakia, which was called Bohemia before that. Famous case in point, the Sudetenland. So maybe this does have some similarities with Czech dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink