Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:21 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,834 times

Advertisements

I am looking to find a great green tea at a bargain. I am thinking of purchasing in bulk. Like 2-5 lbs. Does anyone have any expeirience with this. Where did you order and how was it.

Thank you

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 06:50 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,446 times
I know of a great place to get bulk tea, been buyng from them for a dozen years. But if price is your main considerationn, I will leave you to be disappointed with whatever "bargain" you find. You will likely end up with what are called "fannings" or "tea dust." Even the most expensive tea doesn't cost much more than a nickle or dime a cup. If you would like to learn about good teas read up on the subject at a reputable company like Upton Tea Imports. Their teas don't come in teabags either. You have to actually brew them the old fashioned way, but what a treat!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:31 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,834 times
Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
I know of a great place to get bulk tea, been buyng from them for a dozen years. But if price is your main considerationn, I will leave you to be disappointed with whatever "bargain" you find. You will likely end up with what are called "fannings" or "tea dust." Even the most expensive tea doesn't cost much more than a nickle or dime a cup. If you would like to learn about good teas read up on the subject at a reputable company like Upton Tea Imports. Their teas don't come in teabags either. You have to actually brew them the old fashioned way, but what a treat!
I think you are right I guess I am not as concerned about price as I Thought because tea is rather inexpensive!!!! I will check it out. I am looking at quality over quantity and appreciate your response!!!!

Cheers

Old 11-19-2007, 02:17 AM

4,694 posts, read 4,039,891 times
Berries:

If you want a nice variety of green teas, I would suggest checking out those offered by the company I've linked here. I have purchased different types of tea from them and it is excellent, whether it's in bags or loose. My favorite is Dragon Well which is considered a premium green tea.

Ten Ren Tea

Old 11-19-2007, 04:47 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
I buy large boxes of Prince of Peace Jasmine Green Tea at a large Chinese grocery store in Chinatown.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:12 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
I think you are right I guess I am not as concerned about price as I Thought because tea is rather inexpensive!!!! I will check it out. I am looking at quality over quantity and appreciate your response!!!!

Cheers
I am so glad you understood what I was getting at.. One green tea I might suggest you try is a "gunpowder" green tea, whose leaves are rolled into little balls, or pearl like shapes. You can read dozens of customer reviews at the previously mentioned Upton Tea.

www.uptontea.com

The one I have used is the "Fiist Grade Gunpowder Green" and a 250 gram (about 1/2 pound) packet costs only $6.48 +s/h. They also have a green tea sampler at $13 which yields 4 tins of 4 widely different green teas. They are: Japanese Sencha Special Grade (TJ16), China Young Hyson (ZG10), Ceylon Melfort Estate Gunpowder GP1 (TC75), and China Pi Lo Chun (ZG92).

You will also find labels on each tea with reminders as to best brewing tips. Very useful and handy. Bigger tea leaves require more time to steep, for example, and black teas are best with boiling water, while green teas turn out better with water than stopped boiling a minute ago. You might also be interested in the simplest infuser to use (a nylon mesh basket type with cool flat handle that cleans up easily). Those teaballs are a pain. Leaving the tealeaves at the bottom can cause the whole brew to turn somewhat bitter and overly strong if you let it sit.

Oh btw, you can order their informative quarterly publication for free and get both the history of tea and a complete listing of all their hundreds of current teas and reports on any new developments in the tea trade. I am in awe of this company since they don't sell me as much as they educate and inform me about tea, without any hype whatsover. If you are still in doubt, look over their website and then call them and just ask them a question or two. You should start to get the feeling that this company is serious about serving tea drinkers, first and foremost. I assure you I have no interest in this company whatsoever, other than in spreading the word aboout good old fashioned American business methods that seem to have otherwise gone pretty much into history books. This company is a living testament to how things should be done.

Have fun.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:17 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
My favorite place to order tea is Adagio Teas. They have a huge selection, and reviews/ratings of all of their teas. They get so many reviews because they reward customers for posting a review. I highly recommend them.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:56 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
I like the Yogi teas. They have organic green teas.

Yogi Tea - Organic herbal tea, organic green tea with natural antioxidants and organic black tea including earl grey tea.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:42 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Turkey Hill Green Tea is the best, in my opinion. Although I'm not sure you could find Turkey Hill Iced Teas outside of PA.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:38 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,511 times
This is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any updated info on this. Any suggestions on where I can order organic loose tea? I buy my usual lipton white tea at the market but I'm looking for something fresher.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink